My friend got into med school by saying...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
yogiberra said:
He's gay, at the interview he made up a story of how he was beat up one time and how he was traumatized by that. Only if G Washington univ school of med knew that he sleeps around with about 2 to three girls a week and he hates gays.

One sad individual, I think what he did was totally f-u-cked.

But you know what, all he says when I tell him this is "Im going to med school, biotch."

The truth is a lot of people will die to go to a us allopathic school like him, but not the way he got in. oh yeah heres the kicker ****ty stats, 3.5 29 mcat.

his stats aren't ****ty and i don't really believe the story anyway. No school (well few) are going to admit someone jist b/c he (says he) is gay and was beat up. that's pathetic if someone would even contrive such a story and sadder if someone admitted someone based on it

Members don't see this ad.

uptoolate said:
I really very much doubt someone could get into med school based on a terrible experience *alone*-provided he told you the truth (and you are telling us the truth) I really think a thread based on SDNers' traumatic experiences could reach several pages in no time at all, provided people were willing to share. Of course, some trauma is worse than others. I would stop worrying about it-unless of course, you were trying to start a flame war.
i agree with you so who's to say someone's sob story is worse than others or that someone should be admitted bacause of it...that's really pretty low to use a sob story and even more pathetic to fabricate one

RunMimi said:
Well, I have to be honest, I was very tempted to make up some stories during my interviews. It got sooo boring. You end up sounding like a broken record if you schedule them close to one another and aren't super excited about the school are you visiting. So, I didn't, but I could understand wanting to....
i can't :thumbdown:

Members don't see this ad :)
Alexander Pink said:
Since noone on here seems to have any morals what so ever, I will support the OP and say that this guy is a douche. Not to mention that promiscuous sex is disgusting and future physicians should show greater emotional maturity in relationships than to sleep with anonymous people. I'm sure I'll get flamed, but anyone who knows me on here knows I am absolutely not PC or prudish, but I will stand up for what is correct here.
:thumbup: :thumbup: good for you!

yogiberra said:
Damn, I gotta tell him that, uwwh, how bout they make him prove to others that he really is gay, or how bout if a real homsexual tries to hit on him, dude he is screwed (excuse the pun).

I rather go do a post-bacc and be honest with myself then get into med school. Then again G W Bush has been living a lie and he's doing fine (BULL!)

so is this what this thread is all about? otherwise, i call troll alert. There is so much that doesn't make sense...how could anyone know he got in b/c of his story? It's not like his stats are bad and is it even out of range for GW? If it was, he'd never even get an interview. And for that to be the only school he got an interview at...where else did he apply? Hopkins and Harvard? it's not like he couldn't get into any school with his stats if he applied to a reasonable range of schools. Yea, this is a troll post. :thumbdown:

yogiberra said:
2.96 Science GPA, yeah he could have gotten into DO school hands down (no offense to any DO students) but an allo school, a decent one at that, I really dont know about that.

Who knows maybe he put URM on his app, he never mentioned it, but its possible, but the point is he did lie about being "gay" thats a fact.

then i presume his non science GPA was a 4.0 and more than half his classes were non-science (or close to that, i don't care enough to do the calculations)? otherwise he couldn't have a 3.5 overall GPA

Gentle said:
So u got in though?

Well, yeah. And I'm a fourth year. Trust me. When you look back at all of this one day you will be amused. And if you ever go back and read your AMCAS essay you will cringe. Most people work themselves up into paroxysms of altruism for admission and then cool off once they start medical school. By the time you are a fourth year most people realize that it is more important to be professional then to be a bleeding heart.

As for that guy who made up the story about being gay, I would be proud to have that guy as my friend. Basically, if we can believe the OP he took a weak application and by a brilliant, almost Homeric, strategem snatched victory from the ignomious embrace of certain defeat. He was cunning enough to use the corruption of the "diversity fascists" in his own service and he was courageous enough to risk defeat and his reputation.

What's there not to like? I don't have a requirement that my friends be Saints.

As somebody pointed out, the real crime is that his admission committee thinks that being gay and being beaten up for it somehow makes one more suitable for admission.

Panda Bear said:
Well, yeah. And I'm a fourth year. Trust me. When you look back at all of this one day you will be amused. And if you ever go back and read your AMCAS essay you will cringe. Most people work themselves up into paroxysms of altruism for admission and then cool off once they start medical school. By the time you are a fourth year most people realize that it is more important to be professional then to be a bleeding heart.

As for that guy who made up the story about being gay, I would be proud to have that guy as my friend. Basically, if we can believe the OP he took a weak application and by a brilliant, almost Homeric, strategem snatched victory from the ignomious embrace of certain defeat. He was cunning enough to use the corruption of the "diversity fascists" in his own service and he was courageous enough to risk defeat and his reputation.

As somebody pointed out, the real crime is that his admission committee thinks that being gay and being beaten up for it somehow makes one more suitable for admission.

I dont think we can believe the OP's story (especially given the already mentioned inconsistent numbers he provided for the friend, or even that the friend would have shared the specifics of his BCPM and GPA numbers) and there's certainly no evidence that the friend, who was purportedly invited to an interview, was facing "the ignomious embrace of certain defeat" (Seems quite the opposite -- he's got an interview and is dramatic/personable -- usually a good combo). Not buying it - and so there is no reason to think the admission committee has committed such "crime"...

Law2Doc said:
I dont think we can believe the OP's story (especially given the already mentioned inconsistent numbers he provided for the friend, or even that the friend would have shared the specifics of his BCPM and GPA numbers) and there's certainly no evidence that the friend, who was purportedly invited to an interview, was facing "the ignomious embrace of certain defeat" (Seems quite the opposite -- he's got an interview and is dramatic/personable -- usually a good combo). Not buying it - and so there is no reason to think the admission committee has committed such "crime"...

Sorry, but the OP is FOS. Hence the random posts to fuel the fire.

Panda Bear said:

Neither do I. However i do believe that a doctor, hence a doctor-to-be, should be an upright citizen; be someone you can trust; someone who would not lie to get ahead; someone who would not deceive others for selfish manipulation of the system; and someone who has basic integrity. That is not asking too much.

Agreed, though if you look around you'll see that liars and slackers do as well or better than those who work hard and abide by ethical standards. I'm sure that this makes for some serious moral quandaries down the road if you're jaded.

What a sad world we live in.

This is an interesting thread,

I've considered my personal situation, by telling the interviewer I'm engaged.

While I have been in a relationship with another man for 3 years, I would think that saying I'm "engaged" would provide a cue that I am responsible and stable, by making them think I am committed to a female, without bringing up the social war issues of coming out to the interviewer.

If they truly have a non-discrimination policy, it shouldn't matter what gender the relationship is. And we very well might be engaged, if it were legal in this country or state.

Psycho Doctor said:
Neither do I. However i do believe that a doctor, hence a doctor-to-be, should be an upright citizen; be someone you can trust; someone who would not lie to get ahead; someone who would not deceive others for selfish manipulation of the system; and someone who has basic integrity. That is not asking too much.

For my part, I think the OP is more full of crap than a Christmas Goose. Still, his story about his imaginary friend's cunning is a charming one and I would like to think that I people like that exist.

The only reason we are discussing it is that while it is not true, knowing what we know about political correctness run amok makes it sounds plausible.

Members don't see this ad :)
it would be interesting to note whether or not the OP got into medical school. would this still be a post-worthy issue?

:rolleyes:

Maybe You are Gay

Law2Doc said:

No, I never gave inconsistent numbers, he had a science gpa of 2.97 and a 4.0 as a history major (obviously his stong point). Giving him a 3.5 (yeah yeah yeah, I rounded up). Another thing I'm not going to type my entire my friend's case of why he only got one interview, not everyone gets five plus interviews, secondly he is my friend and he does show me his grades and mcat. You know friends are intersted in each other's futures. Most likely you don't have many friends, real ones at least.

Law2Doc, if it is safe to assume this, you were going into law but decided medicine, right? Hence the name Law2Doc, well I can tell why, you suck at putting two and two together. You come up with BS like me not giving consistent numbers and so on. Hey all Im trying to show is that it is possible to pull one on adcoms. Honestly my friend should have gone into law, he is amazing when it comes to history and political science and is obviously good at lying. You on the other hand Law2Doc would most would have been a two-bit tax lawyer, I take that back a paralegal at most, the way you handle evidence and jump to conclusions is ****ty!

Oh yeah he used his acting skill to pass the interview not to get one. he recieved only one invite.

Sundarban1 said:
Sorry, but the OP is FOS. Hence the random posts to fuel the fire.

Well, Sundarban1 people have other things to do than sit on a computer all day and post on SDN, like studying for O-Chem and internships. My posts are not random at all, whenever I get a chance I reply. Oh yeah, as for me being "full of ****", your a ****! Don't go bitching to the site moderator either.

Psycho Doctor said:
then i presume his non science GPA was a 4.0 and more than half his classes were non-science (or close to that, i don't care enough to do the calculations)? otherwise he couldn't have a 3.5 overall GPA

wow, you know how to calculate! thats correct, he had a 4.0 as a history major.

yogiberra said:
Law2Doc, if it is safe to assume this, you were going into law but decided medicine, right?

No, it would not be safe to assume this. I think the consensus on this board is that your story doesn't hold water. Sorry if that offends you.

Psycho Doctor said:
i agree with you so who's to say someone's sob story is worse than others or that someone should be admitted bacause of it...that's really pretty low to use a sob story and even more pathetic to fabricate one

Well, hes going to medical school in the us and doesn't care how he got in. By any means neccesary. Everyones heard of the cutthroat pre-med, well he killed the competition that day with his drama and got in.

Law2Doc said:
No, it would not be safe to assume this. I think the consensus on this board is that your story doesn't hold water. Sorry if that offends you.

No it doesn't, but it really doesn't matter. The point is that my friend screwed the system. Going to an orientation for how to give a good interview the other week, I found it humorous how they tell you how to act and how not to act and most importantly to "be yourself". If my friend was himself and told his story, which he even acknowledges was boring he would be with the sad lot of rejects asking why, but he's going to medical school. Can't believe someone did something so crazy as to lie about being gay and getting beat up and how he struggles with his homosexuality to get into to medical school, too bad, because I'm pretty sure that there has been worst lies told to get in.

yogiberra said:
No it doesn't, but it really doesn't matter. The point is that my friend screwed the system. Going to an orientation for how to give a good interview the other week, I found it humorous how they tell you how to act and how not to act and most importantly to "be yourself". If my friend was himself and told his story, which he even acknowledges was boring he would be with the sad lot of rejects asking why, but he's going to medical school. Can't believe someone did something so crazy as to lie about being gay and getting beat up and how he struggles with his homosexuality to get into to medical school, too bad, because I'm pretty sure that there has been worst lies told to get in.

Your imaginary friend didn't "screw the system," the system itself is screwed up if it places more value on a sob story than on GPA, MCAT scores, and letters of recommendation.

For God's sake, be yourself for your interviews but if you are going into medicine, like most of us, for the money, the prestige, and other selfish reasons you might want to tone down your bad self, at least for medical school admission interviews where generally, the youngest, most self-centered people on the planet try to convince jaded adults of their fitness for beatification.

Dude, I've been there. I'm not proud.

One of the things I liked about residency program interviews is that by fourth year you have moved way beyond the cringe-inducing altrusistic clap-trap and things like salary, moonlighting opportunities, benefits, and work hours are legitimate topics of conversation. Whether you got beaten up by homophobes, your lesbian roomate, your transgendered sister, or your cross-dressing uncle is so irrelevant to those interviews that if you brought it up they'd probably put you at the bottom of their rank list.

These things, as well as your desire to "hep" people just have nothing to do with your professional abilities. Everybody has personal problems and everybody, except for the occaisional sociopath, wants to help other people. Get over it.

And if you're going to "be yourself," why on earth would you go to an orientation class on how to give a good interview? Seems like we shouldn't really need an orientation from anybody on how to be ourselves.

I suppose we should also expell all of those matirculated students who used professional essay companies to either write or polish their AMCAS essay.

Panda Bear said:
And if you're going to "be yourself," why on earth would you go to an orientation class on how to give a good interview? Seems like we shouldn't really need an orientation from anybody on how to be ourselves.

I suppose we should also expell all of those matirculated students who used professional essay companies to either write or polish their AMCAS essay.

No, thats what the orientation kept streesing was to be yourself, but at the same time, "sell" yourself. The class was part of a larger seminar at school dealing with the application process.

yogiberra said:
The truth is a lot of people will die to go to a us allopathic school like him, but not the way he got in. oh yeah heres the kicker ****ty stats, 3.5 29 mcat.

You and your adversary have been in each other way since childhood. I bet that he knows very well how and when to drop you for an eight count with either truth or lie.
As a master of disguise and history major who can sell water to a well, has that many girls and still has higher MCAT than me, he doesn’t need to be himself….wait….that was he himself the master of disguise at the interview, wasn’t he? For the sake of yourself, stay away from that two-edges sword as far as you can. There is not much one can do with the current application process anyway. It has always been the way you are concerned with long before your adversary submits his application.

calcrew14 said:
You and your adversary have been in each other way since childhood. I bet that he knows very well how and when to drop you for an eight count with either truth or lie.
As a master of disguise and history major who can sell water to a well, has that many girls and still has higher MCAT than me, he doesn’t need to be himself….wait….that was he himself the master of disguise at the interview, wasn’t he? For the sake of yourself, stay away from that two-edges sword as far as you can. There is not much one can do with the current application process anyway. It has always been the way you are concerned with long before your adversary submits his application.

You have mixed so many metaphors in this post that you should get some kind of reward.

Psycho Doctor said:
Neither do I.
However i do believe that a doctor, hence a doctor-to-be, should be an upright citizen; be someone you can trust; someone who would not lie to get ahead; someone who would not deceive others for selfish manipulation of the system; and someone who has basic integrity. That is not asking too much.

Just to add some interest to this thread, I have discovered proof that PD is truly "psycho". I think the bolded line is absolute proof of multiple personality disorder (or whatever they're calling it this week) :laugh:

Just teasing, Psycho! :D

yogiberra said:
He's gay, at the interview he made up a story of how he was beat up one time and how he was traumatized by that. Only if G Washington univ school of med knew that he sleeps around with about 2 to three girls a week and he hates gays.

One sad individual, I think what he did was totally f-u-cked.

But you know what, all he says when I tell him this is "Im going to med school, biotch."

Dude! It is ok! Medical School gives it to everyone up the ass the first year!

MoosePilot said:
Just to add some interest to this thread, I have discovered proof that PD is truly "psycho". I think the bolded line is absolute proof of multiple personality disorder (or whatever they're calling it this week) :laugh:

Just teasing, Psycho! :D
and for a split second I got really nervous thinking you had really somehow found out :eek: