My friend said something about other dental schools not being as vigorous on tooth anatomy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Did you take tooth identification/anatomy as part of your D1 year curriculum?

• Yes, tooth identification of real (removed) teeth during a testing environment

• Yes, tooth anatomy learned during waxing during a testing environment

• Yes, only briefly during power point lectures with test on subject

• No, did not really learn tooth anatomy

• Yes (Mixed; with testing). Tooth waxing / tooth identification of removed teeth/ powerpoint lecture

• Yes (Mixed; no testing). Tooth waxing / tooth identification of removed teeth/ powerpoint lecture

Results are only viewable after voting.

super112

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, how's it going, small incoming rant coming through:

My dental school buddy was complaining how some of his friends in other dental programs never had to wax up teeth and therefore never learned the nuances in dental anatomy. I.e. tooth distinction between maxillary premolars by direction the cusps point and concavity on mesial side of the first(?) maxillary premolar, etc. That HAS to be exaggerated "truth" right? I mean someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought ALL dental school teach dental anatomy via waxing and at the very least, as a profession focused on teeth, I would only assume any accredited school will test their students on tooth identification/anatomy because it's the basics of dentistry, no?

Feel free to comment which school you're at and whether you get tested on tooth anatomy/identification in your first year so I can take a tally. And if you're in the group that doesn't (sorry if I offended you by saying there's a lack of basic dentistry learned), can you comment which school and how you think/don't think you're affected in your dental education?

Thanks!

P.s. I may have found out about the poll option and gotten carried away! :p

Members don't see this ad.

The answer is:
Waxing is a pain. Your buddy is just annoyed he had to do more of it than D1's in other schools.

Reactions: 2 users
Minnesota has an intense Oral Anatomy course

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I personally haven't heard of a school that doesn't teach anatomy and not have students wax teeth and carve teeth from wax.

Last edited:
I personally haven't heard of a school that doesn't teach anatomy and not have students wax teeth and carve teeth from wax.

Think ASDOH doesn't wax. Remember reading that on here a while back.

In my dental school we do waxing and are recommended to do 3D models of dental anatomy

•_• hi •_•

From me and all my classmates at Tufts, I feel your buddy's pain. We had to do way more wax ups than I thought was necessary the first two years. And I'm pretty sure there'll be times we'll have to do them in clinic 3rd and 4th year too

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Wax up is pain, I don't like it, and it is the course I did worst in D school. However looking back, I felt it is important because you need to know how to wax up to communicate with your lab technician when that crown you ordered come back not fitting.

Minnesota has an intense Oral Anatomy course
tumblr_lys5k6HdgX1qbfzzw.jpg

Reactions: 3 users