My friend told me this... is it a myth, or true?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
N

neurocatgirl

I was told by a friend that if you are above a certain GPA (she says a 3.6), you are put in a separate pool of applicants when it comes to medical school admissions looking at your apps?

Is this true?

I have also heard that if you are below a certain GPA, your app will be thrown out.

I am unsure if these are true statements or not, and I figured this is the best place to ask.

Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

What he said. The short answer is that's absolute hogwash. In the end, they have to sort you somehow.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Essentially, if your GPA is < 2.20, it is unlikely that anyone will take the time to review your application with any vigor.
Only 25% of the matriculants at medical school in the two most recent years had GPAs < 3.60. With far more applicants than interview slots, schools do have to narrow the pool to those who are most likely to be offered interview after a more thorough review of the application.
It takes about 20-30 minutes to thoroughly review an application. A school receiving 5,000-10,000 applications does not have the resources to make a thorough review of that many applications and they have to screen in a way to narrow the pool. Some schools will screen on state of residency first and then on academics. Others will screen on academics first and may prioritize those with GPA > 3.5, etc. How would you do it?

Reactions: 1 users
I was told by a friend that if you are above a certain GPA (she says a 3.6), you are put in a separate pool of applicants when it comes to medical school admissions looking at your apps?

Is this true?

I have also heard that if you are below a certain GPA, your app will be thrown out.

I am unsure if these are true statements or not, and I figured this is the best place to ask.

Thanks so much!

Does your friend work in medical school admissions? If not, what is the source of her information?

Reactions: 3 users
Take some time to look through the forums and get an idea of your actual competitiveness, look at AAMC published data about matriculants.

Reactions: 1 users
Your friend is either an idiot, or a liar.
@Goro, these things are not mutually exclusive. You know that.

If not, what is the source of her information?
qq_kia2302_f.jpg

(She's talking out of her arse.)

Reactions: 3 users