Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

My gap year dilemma - Money or experience?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by Dr Tony T. Chopper, Aug 7, 2015.

1. Dr Tony T. Chopper

Dr Tony T. Chopper Professional Whippersnapper
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I am a DO applicant this cycle who just turned in his primaries and now pre-writing secondaries. I am currently at an impasse with two job opportunities that each present frustrating pros and cons. The first one is a straight forward accountant job which promises relatively good pay and stability but zero healthcare exposure. The second one is a surgical technician assistant job which does not pay nearly as well, is short-term (5wks), but offers opportunities for travel and physician (surg) shadowing.

On one hand, the stable job allows me to move in with several good friends and buckle down to work hard on paying off my undergraduate loans. On the other hand, I feel wanderlust for the travel-intensive surg tech assistant job that seems to promise a more robust life experience and booster for my application.

I am very very sorry for bothering many of you with my petty life problems, but I really do appreciate any thoughts on this matter. Thank you sirs and madams of SDN.

-TTC

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. TheoryOfEverything

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Do you feel like you already have good clinical experience, or will this surg tech job be a big boost in your clinical experience? Also, do you feel that you have a pretty strong chance of being accepted this cycle, and will not have to reapply? If you feel you need additional clinical experience, or might have to reapply, then I would definitely take the surg tech job.

If you think everything in your application is all good, and you want to make a big dent in your undergrad loans, then the accountant job would probably be ideal.

Also, this might be your last year to have the ability to have a lot of fun for quite awhile. So ultimately do whatever you would feel most happy doing.

4. Dr Tony T. Chopper

Dr Tony T. Chopper Professional Whippersnapper
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I guess the devil really is in the details...I am somewhat confident in my ECs, but of course being on SDN makes me a paranoid prick sometimes. It might perhaps be better to over prepare than be caught a day late and a dollar short.

5. Bones 2020

Bones 2020 Dammit Jim, I'm a student, not a doctor!
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I'd take the accountant job (which isn't only 5 weeks), pay off loans/save money for med school, and volunteer in a hospital with patient interaction

ATL.F.Doc likes this.
  6. IslandStyle808

IslandStyle808 Akuma residency or bust!
    5+ Year Member

I would do the accounting job. You will need the money to pay for school and your interviews (it would suck to be in a situation where you get a interview and can't afford to go to it). Plus 5 weeks is a rather short time and as the schlitter22 has mentioned volunteering in a hospital can be done instead (and is more long term).