My Good Fortune

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BigNavyPedsGuy

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I know a good number of you have been following my rants about GMO land. My posts will change soon. I got GMO orders to a decommissioning ship last spring. Because of that I applied to go back to residency early and was accepted. I'm slated to start back early this spring.

I realize how blessed I am to be in this situation. I realize that I am one of those lucky few who you hear about it working out for, but it never really seems to go that well.

Anyway, now you won't be confused by my posts reflecting about match results and residency.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone,
I know a good number of you have been following my rants about GMO land. My posts will change soon. I got GMO orders to a decommissioning ship last spring. Because of that I applied to go back to residency early and was accepted. I'm slated to start back early this spring.

I realize how blessed I am to be in this situation. I realize that I am one of those lucky few who you hear about it working out for, but it never really seems to go that well.

Anyway, now you won't be confused by my posts reflecting about match results and residency.

sweet congrats. Just out of curiosity, for some in a situation like yours, what happens during the downtime between the decommissioning and this spring (when you return to your peds resid)? Do you still see pts on the ship? Can't they just send you back to your resid now?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Tarawa? sweet congrats. Just out of curiosity, for some in a situation like yours, what happens during the downtime between the decommissioning and this spring (when you return to your peds resid)? Do you still see pts on the ship? Can't they just send you back to your resid now?

First: way to identify me
Second: I'm actually starting back in Feb as soon as I detach from the ship. Other options were for me to work in a shore billet for a few months and start this summer on-cycle.

Hey everyone,

Proof that things can work out. (eventually)

Second: I'm actually starting back in Feb as soon as I detach from the ship. Other options were for me to work in a shore billet for a few months and start this summer on-cycle.

You don't make it hard bro (decomm big deck = Tarawa)

Are you sure you want to start back up off cycle? The risk is that you'll be the only one up for orders and will get hot-filled after residency. If you are close enough to July, its not a problem, but if its more like Jan/Feb, this could suck for you. As a prior-GMO, you would otherwise have (a little) more negotiating power if you are in the pool with a bunch of straight-through trainees. Shouldn't affect your chances for fellowship, though.

If you don't care about your next duty station much, I'd jump back in too. Congrats.

Many a good times I spent on that ship. I used hop on & off during her workup exercises in SOCAL. I luv big decks . . . floating hotels they are!

So, in retrospect now, do you wish that you had done your GMO on a more operational ship (workup cycles + deployment)? Or do you wish you hadn't done the GMO at all, gone straight thru resid? I know from a medical standpoint the latter is the obvious answer.

But I've had some tell me that if you get the opportunity to do a GMO tour on a ship, to seize the moment. Your resid program will be there when you get back. curious to see what you think.

You might consider changing your SDN name every year or two. Sucks to get outed at work.

Good Idea. I've already been outed several times. I work hard not to say anything on this forum that I wouldn't say to someone in person.

Do I just have to get a new account or can I change my username?

Last edited:
You don't make it hard bro (decomm big deck = Tarawa)

Are you sure you want to start back up off cycle? The risk is that you'll be the only one up for orders and will get hot-filled after residency. If you are close enough to July, its not a problem, but if its more like Jan/Feb, this could suck for you. As a prior-GMO, you would otherwise have (a little) more negotiating power if you are in the pool with a bunch of straight-through trainees. Shouldn't affect your chances for fellowship, though.

If you don't care about your next duty station much, I'd jump back in too. Congrats.

I had a very long talk with both my PD (peds) and SMO (IM) about what they thought about it. My PD understood the concern but did not seem nearly as concerned about this possibility as my IM SMO. In the end I went with the Peds view.

Besides, when trying to break a two year assignment early and return to residency - beggers can't be choosers.

I had a very long talk with both my PD (peds) and SMO (IM) about what they thought about it. My PD understood the concern but did not seem nearly as concerned about this possibility as my IM SMO. In the end I went with the Peds view.

Besides, when trying to break a two year assignment early and return to residency - beggers can't be choosers.

I'm not sure thats a Ped vs IM view. I think your SMO is looking out for you and the PD may be looking out for the program +/- you. As long as you are OK with your next tour being Peds at Lejeune/Guam/Lemoore/Meridian, etc, I wouldn't worry. Also, at this point, you probably don't decrease the chances of ending up at one of those places by pissing off your PD and delaying you return.

Glad to hear you'd at least discussed the issue of arriving off-cycle.

Good Idea. I've already been outed several times. I work hard not to say anything on this forum that I wouldn't say to someone in person.

Do I just have to get a new account or can I change my username?

sorry, didn't mean to out you. i'll edit my post above. if gasto does the same then there should be no mention of your last command.

^^ except the quote in BNPG's response to your original message. =D

Hey everyone,

That's great news. :)