Surg Path

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 9, 2004
NYC
Status
Medical Student
MY BPCM GPA is 3.27, and AO is 3.75 Is this science GPA considered a non-starter? I took MCATs before, and managed a 28 (B11 V10 P7). Taking again in August (and studying lots of physics and chem).

If I raise the P on the MCATs to a 10 or better, should this cover the rather low science GPA for at least an interview at an Allo school? The alternative would be to do more coursework before applying.

The rest of my app is strong (research publications, LORs, ect).

What do you think? thanks

-asd

Schaden Freud

MiSanthrope II
10+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2006
Status
Medical Student
I have similar GPA numbers to you; 3.26 BCMP, 3.9 AO. I am just beginning the application process, and am definitely apprehensive about my science GPA. I am slightly comforted by a very strong MCAT score, however. Schools can't really argue lack of science ability when the MCAT is good.
You have a lot of pressure to prove yourself on the MCAT- if you could improve your PS to a 10, like you said- you will be in much better shape.

Surg Path said:
MY BPCM GPA is 3.27, and AO is 3.75 Is this science GPA considered a non-starter? I took MCATs before, and managed a 28 (B11 V10 P7). Taking again in August (and studying lots of physics and chem).

If I raise the P on the MCATs to a 10 or better, should this cover the rather low science GPA for at least an interview at an Allo school? The alternative would be to do more coursework before applying.

The rest of my app is strong (research publications, LORs, ect).

What do you think? thanks

-asd

About the Ads
OP
Surg Path

Surg Path

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 9, 2004
NYC
Status
Medical Student
Sartre79 said:

So you would suggest a year of postbac work, or something similar? If I managed straight A's in science for a year, it could go up to 3.4 to 3.5. But, that's all A's, and another year. Hmm

Looque

Bob Loblaw
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 31, 2006
Hyde Park, Chicago
Status
Medical Student
Applying with a score of less than 8 in any section of the MCAT is going to offer significant challenges.

OP
Surg Path

Surg Path

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 9, 2004
NYC
Status
Medical Student
;)
Looque said:
Applying with a score of less than 8 in any section of the MCAT is going to offer significant challenges.
I agree, which is why I am retaking. The school's would have to wait for my August scores, but I think they would do that anyway since I checked "taking in August" on AMCAS.

Highclimber

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 30, 2005
Status
Dude I got in with a 3.00 BCPM and only a 3.24 AO... My Highest MCAT was only a point higher than yours and all it took was confidence when i walked into the interview and sometimes a decent explanation as to why my grades were not the standard 3.8-4.0... My explanation was as simple as, "I had other goals during my undergrad education and am equally if not more proud of them then I would be if I had graduated Phi Beta Kappa".... Anyway, relax abou tthe numbers, they might not get you through every door but once you get to the interview consider the slate wiped clean and an equal playing field... Show them why you are someone that is unique and not only what they can give you but also how you can contribute to their institution...

OP
Surg Path

Surg Path

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 9, 2004
NYC
Status
Medical Student
Highclimber said:
Dude I got in with a 3.00 BCPM and only a 3.24 AO... My Highest MCAT was only a point higher than yours and all it took was confidence when i walked into the interview and sometimes a decent explanation as to why my grades were not the standard 3.8-4.0... My explanation was as simple as, "I had other goals during my undergrad education and am equally if not more proud of them then I would be if I had graduated Phi Beta Kappa".... Anyway, relax abou tthe numbers, they might not get you through every door but once you get to the interview consider the slate wiped clean and an equal playing field... Show them why you are someone that is unique and not only what they can give you but also how you can contribute to their institution...
Encouraging! Many thanks!

Sartre79

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 29, 2003
Midwest
Status
Resident [Any Field]
That is the exception though and not the rule. I would either retake the science classes bringing you down, or try a post bac...but I've heard they can be spendy.

Highclimber

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 30, 2005
Status
Sartre79 said:
That is the exception though and not the rule. I would either retake the science classes bringing you down, or try a post bac...but I've heard they can be spendy.
Sartre I can appreciate tht I may be in a smaller minority with my stats... But honestly, ,unless youare on an adcom and you have seen Surg's application and its strengths and weakness es I can hardly believe you are in a position to advise him/her to retake lengthy classes and or spend thousands on a post bacc-- (this isn't really directed at you but the hundreds of people on this site who think they are in a position to doll out highly "invasive" advise)... Surg see how the MCAT goes and just apply...

I posted a while ago that if you are nervous about your application and chances it is going to show through one's application and also their interview... You really need to exude that you believe in yourself and that this is gonna happen... Posting these what are my chances type scenarios really just prove that you are not at that point for yourself and I would really jsut sit back back and evaluate why you are going through this. Once you come to the realization that you are just gonna go for it, do it and don't look back... And if you don't get in try again... seek advice from real people who know you and your situation... Who knows, I could be off base here but honestly don't use these boards to try and reaffirm either doubt or confidence... Don't be insecure... These boards are a great resource for amusement, and information sharing, but they are not the end all be all of this process. I can promise you that no one on here can tell you whether to repeat classes or do a postbacc... And if they pretend to, they are only doing you and themselves a disservice and are most likely not the type of people who you want giving you advice... (either because they are insecure themselves and use this site to feel some sense of authority or because they simply have a narcissistic compless and are blinded by their own egotism)....

Take everything with a grain of salt...

Dr. Josh

10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2004
not an actual dr but I stayed at a Holiday Inn Exp
Status
Pre-Medical
Highclimber said:
what schools did you get into? I'm sorta worried about my grades.

geno2568

10+ Year Member
Apr 16, 2006
Ithaca, NY
Status
Pre-Medical
how do i delete this post?

About the Ads