My GPA, and more Undergrad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smileyman22336

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I hope all of you are having an amazing day! I just finished using the SDN AMCAS gpa calculator, and inputted all of my classes and grades. Here is what I got:

Cumulative Undergraduate AMCAS GPA: 3.43
Cumulative Undergraduate BCPM (Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Math) GPA: 3.22
Cumulative Undergraduate All Other AMCAS GPA: 3.70

I still have approximately 7 undergrad chemistry classes to go, mind you.
I just would like to know your opinions of where I'm at and whether or not my remaining classes can help boost me to a competitive GPA range.

I am also considering post bacc (I am under the assumption it means taking more bachelor level classes after having graduated with a bachelors, and I'm thinking of doing it in the liberal arts field) after I am done with the BS in Chem.

What's my stance? And thank you so much for your help in advance, I really do appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

If you're going to do a post-bac, then do it in the "hard sciences" (bio, chem, physics). The weak point in your application is your BCMP GPA, not your All-other GPA. The adcom is going to want to see that you can handle hard science classes, not that you can excel in even more liberal arts classes. I did a M.S. in Biology and there were classmates of mine who went and did an MPH (Masters of Public Health) but had to come do a science degree before they got in. You don't have to do a masters, but work on improving your science/BCMP GPA.
Agree with this, but don't think a Masters would be that helpful in your situation. You can also fit in as many hard science courses as you can and delay your graduation to avoid scheduling and registration, as well as funding, issues with a post-bac. Get the classes in before graduating and you won't need the post-bac.

A few things:

1) as far as I know (someone correct me if I'm wrong) a post-bac program is for people who have completed their undergrad in generally a non-science field and want to complete the requirements for medical school. So essentially, it's solid science. it sounds like you're a science major, so a masters might be more appropriate.
2) completing more liberal arts classes after you've graduated will help your GPA, but not your science GPA, which generally matters more. Adcoms are going to look at your transcript and realize that you're just trying to boost your GPA.
3) I don't know how many credits each one of those seven chem classes is or what they total too, so the answer for can you pull your GPA up is maybe. Depends on how well you do and how many science credits you have already. A 3.7+ GPA is considered competitive, maybe 3.5-3.6 depending on the school and your mcat score.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank all of you for your suggestions. I am now under the assumption that my regular gpa is fine but my bcpm gpa needs work. So I am thinking that I will take my 7 remaining undergrad chemistry courses, and rather than apply for graduation, take more courses for biology and end up graduating with both, so that my gpa is risen. I also enjoy biology a lot. I hope doing so in biology will raise my bcpm gpa. Is this a good idea instead?

Sounds like a good idea, as long as you are certain you can excel. Your cGPA also needs improvement (3.5+) to stay competitive, but it won't hold you back like your BCPM will as is.

Thank you, I will definitely work on the cGPA as well. If I am able to do good with the biology courses it should also raise my cGPA correct?

That sounds like a good plan. Work really hard to bring up your science GPA and study hard for the MCAT. Taking the additional bio classes may even help with your MCAT prep (though they aren't necessary for it).

Thank you for your response. I definitely will work hard and will not overload myself like I did before, that I think was the deal breaker for me. I was too much in a rush. And I am sure it will help for the mcat. I really do enjoy biology and since I've only taken general biology 1 and 2, and anatomy and physiology 1 and 2, I feel for the BS I have ample amount of biology classes remaining that can help me boost my bcpm gpa.

Thank you for your response. Yes I will work on the two bachelor's and then continue my masters afterwards. I am a science major. I will work hard to raise my gpa.

A few things:

1) as far as I know (someone correct me if I'm wrong) a post-bac program is for people who have completed their undergrad in generally a non-science field and want to complete the requirements for medical school. So essentially, it's solid science. it sounds like you're a science major, so a masters might be more appropriate.
2) completing more liberal arts classes after you've graduated will help your GPA, but not your science GPA, which generally matters more. Adcoms are going to look at your transcript and realize that you're just trying to boost your GPA.
3) I don't know how many credits each one of those seven chem classes is or what they total too, so the answer for can you pull your GPA up is maybe. Depends on how well you do and how many science credits you have already. A 3.7+ GPA is considered competitive, maybe 3.5-3.6 depending on the school and your mcat score.