My GPA/DAT scores, help me out

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlexMountaineer

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm going to be a junior at WVU. I am an Illinois resident. My current GPA is a 3.2 and i just took the DAT and got a 17/17/18 (TS/AA/PAT). I know these aren't ideal stats for getting into dental school but I was a starter for the WVU varsity soccer team for my freshman and sophomore year which takes up about 50 hrs a week, and most people i go to school with don't put that amount of time into anything during the semester. I recently got injured and decided to concentrate on school and try to improve my gpa a little bit before i apply. Im applying next summer and will have plenty of volunteer experience and Dental experience before then as well.

If anybody has any insite on how my stats would do (if they did not change from now) when applying to dental school I would love to hear your opinions.

Members don't see this ad.

So I'm going to be a junior at WVU. I am an Illinois resident. My current GPA is a 3.2 and i just took the DAT and got a 17/17/18 (TS/AA/PAT). I know these aren't ideal stats for getting into dental school but I was a starter for the WVU varsity soccer team for my freshman and sophomore year which takes up about 50 hrs a week, and most people i go to school with don't put that amount of time into anything during the semester. I recently got injured and decided to concentrate on school and try to improve my gpa a little bit before i apply. Im applying next summer and will have plenty of volunteer experience and Dental experience before then as well.

If anybody has any insite on how my stats would do (if they did not change from now) when applying to dental school I would love to hear your opinions.

Can only press the sports so much. There are amazing athletes from my DI hockey team who have 4.0 throughout college.

Retake the DAT is your best option.

Thanks for the advice...If anyone has any other advice please let me know

Since you are applying for next summer. I think you have time to atleast boost your gpa to 3.3/3.4/3.5. You've got a year to do it. Also you've got a year to prepare to retake your DAT. IMO your gpa & DAT is adequate but you can do better. Just show an escalating trend then write about the 50 hours extra curricular in your personal statement. Get great LORs. You might want to focus on your future career such as investing time to show proof of interest for dental school. As you've mentioned you can work on your dental experience and also you can look for EC's that can increase your leadership skills & research experience.
Anyway, when you become a dentist you will always have time to play sports. I do love sports too & I can not stay away from it. I guess we have to show that we can do all things moderately, balance with extracurriculars and academics..etc. Goodluck...you sound young and you have a lot of time.