MY GPA is # and I got into pharmacy school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

My GPA is # and I got into pharmacy school

• My GPA is 3.9-4.0

Votes: 88 10.1%
  • My GPA is 3.8-3.9

Votes: 57 6.5%
  • My GPA is 3.7-3.8

Votes: 72 8.2%
  • My GPA is 3.6-3.7

Votes: 78 8.9%
  • My GPA is 3.5-3.6

Votes: 67 7.7%
  • My GPA is 3.4-3.5

Votes: 79 9.0%
  • My GPA is 3.3-3.4

Votes: 69 7.9%
  • My GPA is 3.2-3.3

Votes: 55 6.3%
  • My GPA is 3.1-3.2

Votes: 84 9.6%
  • My GPA is 3.0-3.1

Votes: 53 6.1%
  • My GPA is 2.9-3.0

Votes: 42 4.8%
  • My GPA is 2.8-2.9

Votes: 35 4.0%
  • My GPA is below a 2.8

Votes: 95 10.9%

• Total voters

38ctk

ktc83
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I noticed that there are a lot of questions that ask, "Can I get into pharmacy school with this GPA?"

So I thought it would be a good idea for new applicants to look at the pool of GPAs accepted into pharmacy school.

Members don't see this ad.

but....
but.....

what if i have a low PCAT score??? but 500 years experience working in a pharmacy???? and my dad is the dean of the pharmacy school??? then WhAt R mY cHaNcEs???????????? ThAnX 4 uR hElP!!!

bbmuffin said:
but....
but.....

what if i have a low PCAT score??? but 500 years experience working in a pharmacy???? and my dad is the dean of the pharmacy school??? then WhAt R mY cHaNcEs???????????? ThAnX 4 uR hElP!!!

Muffin, you want to start that poll ?
;)

Members don't see this ad :)
bbmuffin said:
but....
but.....

what a whiney little pain in the ass you are.... :smuggrin:

Caverject said:
what a whiney little pain in the ass you are.... :smuggrin:
i dare you to say that to the next "what are my chances thread"......

haha
you would be ripped open...

Great Poll!!!

below 2.8 and still got in? what school do you guys go to? probably a lower tier school :laugh:

38ctk said:
I noticed that there are a lot of questions that ask, "Can I get into pharmacy school with this GPA?"

So I thought it would be a good idea for new applicants to look at the pool of GPAs accepted into pharmacy school.

but, but, but even though there are like A MILLION of these "Can I get into pharmacy school with this GPA and that PCAT score" my case is TRULY SPECIAL so please please please spend some time reading this new thread i started because like yeah, i'm really special and my case doesn't fit into any of the existing threads and, like, that's why i have to create ANOTHER one of these kinds of threads, LOL...

Members don't see this ad :)
DrPharm said:
below 2.8 and still got in? what school do you guys go to? probably a lower tier school :laugh:

I would watch what you say. I know in my class, the people who go around a 3.0 and a little lower, but from large universities are doing A LOT better in pharmacy schools than the people who went to a junior/community colleges and got a 4.0. I am one of those, I went to the Univeristy of Wisconsin-Madison (go badgers) and got just below a 3, now in school, I am in Rho Chi, in the top 20 of my class and often have to tutor other students. Go figure!

kristakoch said:
I would watch what you say. I know in my class, the people who go around a 3.0 and a little lower, but from large universities are doing A LOT better in pharmacy schools than the people who went to a junior/community colleges and got a 4.0. I am one of those, I went to the Univeristy of Wisconsin-Madison (go badgers) and got just below a 3, now in school, I am in Rho Chi, in the top 20 of my class and often have to tutor other students. Go figure!

Krista, any relation to Robert? :idea:

8 people said that their GPA was below 2.8 and they got in....Where did you people apply???

RLK said:
8 people said that their GPA was below 2.8 and they got in....Where did you people apply???

MANY schools accept students whose GPAs are less than stellar, providing that their other components of the application and their interview was outstanding. Even UCSF, the first-ranked school in the country (according to US News survey) has students who had below 3.0 GPA in undergrad. In fact, one of them posts here frequently. ;)

I had a 2.9 and got in. The thing is that I had to go back and take prereqs that I missed the first time around. These included anat/phys, calc I and II, gen chem II for review(had been 7 years), and micro econ. I got A's in all these classes. Now four years ago I had a 2.9, with about 160 credits. I took the twenty credits of prereqs and the A's I got didn't change my overall GPA at all because my 2.9 is so weighted b/c of all the credits. So I had to explain that I am much different student now than I was then.
DR

Hey, Drhemi, which school did you apply to?

drhemi70 said:
I had a 2.9 and got in. The thing is that I had to go back and take prereqs that I missed the first time around. These included anat/phys, calc I and II, gen chem II for review(had been 7 years), and micro econ. I got A's in all these classes. Now four years ago I had a 2.9, with about 160 credits. I took the twenty credits of prereqs and the A's I got didn't change my overall GPA at all because my 2.9 is so weighted b/c of all the credits. So I had to explain that I am much different student now than I was then.
DR

can you get into pharmacy school with a 4.0 gpa and 99 percent pcat score and spent 4 years helping AIDS victims in africa but wear a chimpanzee costume on the day of your interview?

Now that I would love to find out the answer to.

drhemi70 said:
DR

I had a very similar situation. I graduated in 2001 with a BS in psychology and a 2.78 GPA. My first 2 years in school really hurt; I was pre-med and thought I could get away without going to class most of the time. Anyway, I have been working full-time for the last 3.5 years at an ambulatory sugery center doing mostly business administration duties, but I do have a lot of interaction with patients and physicians from time to time. While working I went back to a community college and took all of the pre-requisites, including chemistry (inorganic and organic), organismal and cell biology, anatomy, and microbiology and got As in all of them with the exception of a B in microbio because I got lazy. This year I applied just before the deadline to MWU-CPG, interviewed the last day of interviews, got wait-listed, and with a little luck I made it in. A week ago I was a revised personal statement away from sending in my application for next year. Just goes to show that you truly can't count yourself out based on your numbers alone - character and motivation can go a long way.

drhemi70 said:
DR

Where did you get accepted drhemi? I have a ton of credits too because I have a computer science degree that i earned 5 yrs ago. did you the school you got into require the pcat?

That's where I got in. Yes they require the pcat. I would reccomend anyone in my shoes to take the pcat. It only gives you more options as to where you apply. It also give you a chance to show that even though your gpa may be low that you know your stuff. I my mind if you have a low gpa and are trying to get in you need to take every op you have and show you are a bright individual who may have had a life changing and motivating experince. Like working a ****ty ass job for four years that pays you pennies on the dollar, and you could make more working a mickey d's as a manager with a degree in biochem and biomed.
DR

drhemi70 said:
DR
That is EXACTLY the situation I am in. My grades a few years ago were not so great, but I finished my Bachelor's degree in Psych. with about a 3.0. My pre-req GPA, however, was around a 2.97. While my last 60 hours (including Gen Chem II, A&P I and II, Bio I and II, Calculus, Physics I & II etc.) have been all A's and B's, my overall GPA will barely budge because I have a total of like 175 credit hours! My PCAT was an 86 which I thought was pretty good but I didn't get in this year. I'm applying now for the second time.:luck:

Wow it's been 10 months! Okay... bump :)

DrPharm said:

Probably one of those unchallenging "community" pharmacy schools - like Robert Debry or National American University. :laugh:

I wanted to bump this poll so those that couldn't vote before can now.

to: ndearwater or anybody else

what schools did you apply to? did u have any volunteering experience?

thanx!

Here's the thing, it doesn't matter what schools you apply to. What I mean is, it's not like some schools are easier to get into than others. Someone mentioned this before and I'll say it again, it's about what school is the right "fit". I know someone who has a much higher gpa and a composite pcat score right around mine. We applied to some of the same schools and I got into 2 that he was rejected from (he got into Campbell, where I was denied.) It's about the overall student and the overall person. Who you are and what you've done go really far when applying. That's what makes the interview so important!

go ahead and submit

Wow, you guys have given me back hope that I can still pursue Pharmacy!!!!!
My Gpa sucks.... currently as a undergrad [first yr i messed up been pullling it up]

I got accepted with a pcat score of 53.

That is EXACTLY the situation I am in. My grades a few years ago were not so great, but I finished my Bachelor's degree in Psych. with about a 3.0. My pre-req GPA, however, was around a 2.97. While my last 60 hours (including Gen Chem II, A&P I and II, Bio I and II, Calculus, Physics I & II etc.) have been all A's and B's, my overall GPA will barely budge because I have a total of like 175 credit hours! My PCAT was an 86 which I thought was pretty good but I didn't get in this year. I'm applying now for the second time.:luck:

GPA really really doesn't count for everything. Granted my PCAT score was a 99 composite, and I have plenty of research and volunteer experience, but my GPA was only a 2.65 (granted it was a dual-degree program and I still scored above my major's average). You can probably imagine what grades I got (They REALLY weren't pretty). I'll be a P1 at Univ. of Maryland this fall.

So don't give up. If you have a poor GPA, do your best to boost it as much as you can. Retake classes if you have to. I'll tell you that my improvement for GPA shot up the last two years (but you can only do so much if you made a lot of mistakes your first two years). If you've done all you can, and you make yourself stand out in other ways, you've got a chance, even at a top tier school =) And of course, start your application right by focusing on your personal statement and making sure your applications are complete nice and early in the application process. Because there's a lot of pharmacy programs out there. If you do something to stand out in some way, chances are some admissions director will notice you. Just be sure to be able to explain why your GPA isn't as strong as it could be (like I did during my Maryland interview).

And really, people who denigrate others just because of their GPA and their stats should be ashamed. We're in the United States, and there's an opportunity for anything and everything to happen, as long as you're willing to try. We're all trying to be pharmacists (and hopefully good ones at that). Good job if you got a great GPA during undergrad, but kindly don't put down those who may have had extenuating circumstances surrounding their not-so-great GPA. Thanks =)

You should have an option that is " I have not gotten accepted yet" because I know some poeple,such as myself, that are tempted to just click on one. Some click on one just to see the results. :oops:

And really, people who denigrate others just because of their GPA and their stats should be ashamed. We're in the United States, and there's an opportunity for anything and everything to happen, as long as you're willing to try. We're all trying to be pharmacists (and hopefully good ones at that). Good job if you got a great GPA during undergrad, but kindly don't put down those who may have had extenuating circumstances surrounding their not-so-great GPA. Thanks =)

I applaud to that :thumbup: :)

You should have an option that is " I have not gotten accepted yet" because I know some poeple,such as myself, that are tempted to just click on one. Some click on one just to see the results. :oops:

there is a view poll results in the bottom right corner of the poll

I agree and I think its immature to think that everyone had the same difficulty in getting a grade, had the same circumstances, and grades are complete reflection of hardwork and intelligence.
When you are graded based on how well others do, then if they study and are as intelligent and motivated, it is much more difficult to get an A in the course. Not to mention the professors make more difficult tests with a more studious class in order to form a more nice looking curve.

I had a 2.9 prepharmacy GPA and got in. My overall was 3.5, though. and i got a 92 on PCATs

I agree and I think its immature to think that everyone had the same difficulty in getting a grade, had the same circumstances, and grades are complete reflection of hardwork and intelligence.
When you are graded based on how well others do, then if they study and are as intelligent and motivated, it is much more difficult to get an A in the course. Not to mention the professors make more difficult tests with a more studious class in order to form a more nice looking curve.

I definantly agree with this to get anywhere near an upper 3 in chem, ochem or bio you have to be at least a standard deviation above the average student in the class since they curve the class to a 2.6-2.8 and you are competing with med students and other preprofessional students. This is at least how it is at University of Washington

I definantly agree with this to get anywhere near an upper 3 in chem, ochem or bio you have to be at least a standard deviation above the average student in the class since they curve the class to a 2.6-2.8 and you are competing with med students and other preprofessional students. This is at least how it is at University of Washington

Lol lucky. For us, they curve C's to a 2.5 for UCLA's microbiology program as the class average. So you're a dead duck either way.

3.8 pcat 93 accepted to UT-Austin with just enough hours to be a junior :D
thats probably the easiest/most generic way to get guaranteed into pharmacy school.

GPA 3.45
PCAT 87th
Extra cirr- Founder and President of a Pre Pharm Club and officer of a couple of other clubs.
Volunteered at hospitals, Texas Pharmacy Association, a couple of other non-pharm stuff.
Job- Pharm Tech
Also I spoke with someone at admissions and they said my interview really helped. So my advice is to over-prepare for the interview, there shouldn't be a question that you haven't heard and practiced for during the interview.

GPA really really doesn't count for everything. Granted my PCAT score was a 99 composite, and I have plenty of research and volunteer experience, but my GPA was only a 2.65 (granted it was a dual-degree program and I still scored above my major's average). You can probably imagine what grades I got (They REALLY weren't pretty). I'll be a P1 at Univ. of Maryland this fall.

So don't give up. If you have a poor GPA, do your best to boost it as much as you can. Retake classes if you have to. I'll tell you that my improvement for GPA shot up the last two years (but you can only do so much if you made a lot of mistakes your first two years). If you've done all you can, and you make yourself stand out in other ways, you've got a chance, even at a top tier school =) And of course, start your application right by focusing on your personal statement and making sure your applications are complete nice and early in the application process. Because there's a lot of pharmacy programs out there. If you do something to stand out in some way, chances are some admissions director will notice you. Just be sure to be able to explain why your GPA isn't as strong as it could be (like I did during my Maryland interview).

Just curious to what school you applied?? I mean would like to know, knowing that everyone's chances are different based on many things. I would be appreciate it very much.

Thanks a bunch.

Just curious to what school you applied?? I mean would like to know, knowing that everyone's chances are different based on many things. I would be appreciate it very much.

Thanks a bunch.

I applied to University of Maryland, Howard, Oklahoma, Ohio State, and LECOM through Pharmcas, although my application to LECOM was incomplete since I never did the supplemental app (LOR complications). I received interview offers to UofM, Howard, and Oklahoma. I declined the Oklahoma interview because UofM (my top choice) gave me an offer.

Of course, I turned in Pharmcas and supplemental applications for all of these schools by like the beginning of October. All of my applications were complete by October 31st. Had i turned them in at the deadline...I probably wouldn't have made it to the interview.

I really wouldn't recommend trying my route though. I have to say that I got really lucky.

I applied to University of Maryland, Howard, Oklahoma, Ohio State, and LECOM through Pharmcas, although my application to LECOM was incomplete since I never did the supplemental app (LOR complications). I received interview offers to UofM, Howard, and Oklahoma. I declined the Oklahoma interview because UofM (my top choice) gave me an offer.

Of course, I turned in Pharmcas and supplemental applications for all of these schools by like the beginning of October. All of my applications were complete by October 31st. Had i turned them in at the deadline...I probably wouldn't have made it to the interview.

I really wouldn't recommend trying my route though. I have to say that I got really lucky.

Thanks a lot it was very helpful. I think sometimes cases like this still gives some people small hope that trying harder and luck can still work out. I am happy that you got into U of M. Good Luck. Hopefully everything will work out for me, too.

This thread gives me hope! I'm praying that I make it in with my 3.07 cumulative gpa. :scared: Thanks for sharing your stats everyone!

Oh my god, thank you for everyone who's posting on this thread--all you people with the gpa below 3.0. and got in. You're giving me back some hope. Thank youu!!!!

Maybe this can be marked a sticky???

Oh my god, thank you for everyone who's posting on this thread--all you people with the gpa below 3.0. and got in. You're giving me back some hope. Thank youu!!!!

I have a feeling a lot of those who clicked on the last option did it as a joke and is giving many people false hope.

I hope no one chose the last option as a joke :(