My GPA is terrible because of my math grades. Any way to exclude some math from BCPM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shnjb

Rod
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Question: Is it possible to exclude some math classes from being included in your BCPM if you've taken more math than a typical premed would?

Hello everyone.

I used to be a biomedical engineering major so I have taken 4 math classes + 2 classes skipped from my calculus AP exam.

These are the math classes I have taken: (quarter system here so 3 classes = 1 yr)
Math 20A - passed from AP
Math 20B - passed from AP
Math 20C - B (started to go all wrong... I thought this was a fluke getting a B in math because I was good at math in HS, taking calculus in 11th grade and getting 5s on AB/BC)
Math 20D - D (missed the final after getting an A on the midterm... doh!)
Math 20D - C (didn't want to retake so lack of motivation was an issue)
Math 20F - C (at this point, I have lost all confidence in my mathematical skills)
Math 20E - F (I don't even know what the **** I was thinking. It was the lowest point of my life)

My science BCPM including only up to calculus (the 1 B) is 3.5.

But if AMCAS includes all those terrible grades, I'm really really screwed.
Just typing this made me depressed.

As for other stats, I got a 34 on the MCAT but I think I might retake in hopes of overcoming my ******ed GPA.

So, do you guys think they'll let me exclude those terrible grades?
If not, should I retake from like 20A and try to get all As? (which I'm pretty sure I could do... but time is an issue since I'm 23)

Members don't see this ad.

shnjb said:
Question: Is it possible to exclude some math classes from being included in your BCPM if you've taken more math than a typical premed would?

Hello everyone.

I used to be a biomedical engineering major so I have taken 4 math classes + 2 classes skipped from my calculus AP exam.

These are the math classes I have taken: (quarter system here so 3 classes = 1 yr)
Math 20A - passed from AP
Math 20B - passed from AP
Math 20C - B (started to go all wrong... I thought this was a fluke getting a B in math because I was good at math in HS, taking calculus in 11th grade and getting 5s on AB/BC)
Math 20D - D (missed the final after getting an A on the midterm... doh!)
Math 20D - C (didn't want to retake so lack of motivation was an issue)
Math 20F - C (at this point, I have lost all confidence in my mathematical skills)
Math 20E - F (I don't even know what the **** I was thinking. It was the lowest point of my life)

My science BCPM including only up to calculus (the 1 B) is 3.5.

But if AMCAS includes all those terrible grades, I'm really really screwed.
Just typing this made me depressed.

As for other stats, I got a 34 on the MCAT but I think I might retake in hopes of overcoming my ******ed GPA.

If not, should I retake from like 20A and try to get all As? (which I'm pretty sure I could do... but time is an issue since I'm 23)

I'm sorry to say I don't think there is anything you can do about it. Even if you retake them, they will still be in your BCPM to my knowledge. Sorry dude

Do you happen to go to UCSD?

Anyway, if you leave out some of your classes when you fill out the AMCAS...they'll probably see it when the match up your transcript when it gets processed.

3.5 isn't really that bad.

Members don't see this ad :)
shnjb said:
Nope.

It's not up to you. And 3.5 is not a bad GPA.

nor is a 34 mcat score o_O

Note that he said his GPA is a 3.5 with only the 1 B in his calculus math class. He didn't include his Math 20D-F in his GPA.

odddodo said:
Note that he said his GPA is a 3.5 with only the 1 B in his calculus math class. He didn't include his Math 20D-F in his GPA.

That is correct.
Including the 3 math classes, it falls quite a bit to around >3.0 I think.

Does anyone know what the AMCAS GPA policy is for retaking F's, D's and C's is?

Do they average the two attempts?
Do they only average passing grades being retaken?

Damn I hate math.

When I was taking all those math classes despite getting HORRIBLE grades, I was thinking about med school so wasn't really concerned with GPA... what an idiot I was.

sentrosi said:
Do you happen to go to UCSD?

Anyway, if you leave out some of your classes when you fill out the AMCAS...they'll probably see it when the match up your transcript when it gets processed.

3.5 isn't really that bad.

Yeah I do go to UCSD.
The home of six colleges with writing and cultural diversity requirements all serving to distract pre-health students, which is about 35% of the student body. (I'd say another 35% is engineering, who probably also doesn't appreciate all the non-science requirements, and as for the rest, I don't know why they came to UCSD...)

shnjb said:
That is correct.
Including the 3 math classes, it falls quite a bit to around >3.0 I think.

Does anyone know what the AMCAS GPA policy is for retaking F's, D's and C's is?

Do they average the two attempts?
Do they only average passing grades being retaken?

Damn I hate math.

When I was taking all those math classes despite getting HORRIBLE grades, I was thinking about med school so wasn't really concerned with GPA... what an idiot I was.

All grades are included when calculating retakes. So, those grades will be included.

shnjb said:
Yeah I do go to UCSD.
The home of six colleges with writing and cultural diversity requirements all serving to distract pre-health students, which is about 35% of the student body. (I'd say another 35% is engineering, who probably also doesn't appreciate all the non-science requirements, and as for the rest, I don't know why they came to UCSD...)

UCSD is not obligated to cater to pre-meds. Most schools have some component of a writing/non-science requirement. Med schools don't want one-dimensional drones.

So, in other words, you are looking for a way to cheat the system? Why do you think YOU should be able to say which grades count and which don't? Can you imagine what would happen if everyone got to choose which of their grades were included in the calculation of GPA? You decided to take those classes, and you did poorly in them. Your GPA is what it is. There is absolutely no way to have certain grades wiped from your record.

Members don't see this ad :)
shnjb said:
I used to be a biomedical engineering major

congrats on trying the hardest route to med school possible. some schools will add to your GPA for that, at least that's what i've been told.

ADeadLois said:
UCSD is not obligated to cater to pre-meds. Most schools have some component of a writing/non-science requirement. Med schools don't want one-dimensional drones.

Right, the UC schools have a requirement for things. But if you're getting a BS in ANYTHING you don't have to do as much as other people. So don't cry a river for OP yet.

Second, OP, why in the world are you taking all of that math? Are you a glutton for punishment? Mathletes champion?

Third, OP, you can't get rid of that stuff. Its going to be on your official transcripts, if you know someone you MIGHT be able to get those changed to a Withdraw if you could get a doctor's note but that is an uphill battle. I saw it work for one person when I was in those offices.

KrispyKreme said:
congrats on trying the hardest route to med school possible. some schools will add to your GPA for that, at least that's what i've been told.

NOPE! No bonus points for doing something difficult. Not if it means you got C's and B's. Especially since other people get mostly A's and B's in the BCPM pre-reqs and then are Anthropology majors or whatever.

No gold stars for taking three or four hard BCPM's together, either.

Man, I did the same thing. Got 4 C's from my math minor, it hurts... I'm also a Chem/Bio double major so I get the best of both worlds on top of that. Sunk my GPA even lower than yours too, 3.0. Got a 34 as well though, and think I have about a 40% chance of getting in this round... little less than betting the 3000 dollars im spending on apps on red or black at a roulette table, and not nearly as fun!
Any other thoughts on my % chance, lol.

jackieMD2007 said:
Right, the UC schools have a requirement for things. But if you're getting a BS in ANYTHING you don't have to do as much as other people. So don't cry a river for OP yet.

Yeah, one of the factors (not a major one, but something I kept in mind) in deciding which med schools I applied to was how much they seemed to value non-science classes in their application process. I decided to apply to schools that either required or really harped on taking these classes on their website, since I enjoyed such classes and did well them (I was a humanities major trapped in a science major's body). I know some of the non-science requirements might not be as hugely important as the websites make them out to be, but I liked what those schools appeared to value in their applicants and the potential for a student body with a lot of non-science experiences.

shnjb said:

I feel your pain... I graduated from UCSD in Bioengineering and I have some pretty messed up math grades too!!!

jackieMD2007 said:
NOPE! No bonus points for doing something difficult. Not if it means you got C's and B's. Especially since other people get mostly A's and B's in the BCPM pre-reqs and then are Anthropology majors or whatever.

No gold stars for taking three or four hard BCPM's together, either.
Actually, that's not true. Nearly all medical schools list "rigor of academic program" or something like that as criteria for evaluating applicants.

...but Cs are bad in any major.

I'm in the same boat! Let me know if you figure anything out! If it makes you feel any better, I at least respect your intellegence. Math classes pretty much top the list of hardness, so at least feel good that you've got some little grey cells that are packing a punch. And when you get into medschool, things will be a lot easier for you because you know what hard is. Imagine having just taken the minimum prereqs 2 at a time or whatever with some anthropology on the side.

persephone1 said:
And when you get into medschool, things will be a lot easier for you because you know what hard is. Imagine having just taken the minimum prereqs 2 at a time or whatever with some anthropology on the side.

My friends who were biomedical engineers at my school with me tell me that med school is like a taking a break when compared to the difficulty of subject matter/workload that we had.

i'm only talking about their experiences from the first two years

persephone1 said:
I'm in the same boat! Let me know if you figure anything out! If it makes you feel any better, I at least respect your intellegence. Math classes pretty much top the list of hardness, so at least feel good that you've got some little grey cells that are packing a punch. And when you get into medschool, things will be a lot easier for you because you know what hard is. Imagine having just taken the minimum prereqs 2 at a time or whatever with some anthropology on the side.

Imagine the idea that anthropology or political science or history might actually be a challenging and enriching experience! Imagine that a large chunk of your med school class might be from interesting majors. Just because someone doesn't take four years totally overloaded with math and science doesn't mean that they aren't smart or that they haven't been to the school of hard knocks. :thumbdown:

jackieMD2007 said:
Imagine the idea that anthropology or political science or history might actually be a challenging and enriching experience! Imagine that a large chunk of your med school class might be from interesting majors. Just because someone doesn't take four years totally overloaded with math and science doesn't mean that they aren't smart or that they haven't been to the school of hard knocks. :thumbdown:

What it does mean, however, is that their grades are inflated and they might or might not have made it into med schools if they had taken more rigorous curricula.

shnjb said:
What it does mean, however, is that their grades are inflated and they might or might not have made it into med schools if they had taken more rigorous curricula.

I am going to call shenanigans on this post.

If you look at the stats on non-science majors getting accepted, apparently adcoms have a different opinion than you on what makes people academically qualified. Remember, they are going to teach us what we need to know at med school. If you did well in your pre-reqs and did fine on the MCAT, and demonstrated good grades across the board in sci and non-sci, you're ready.

NEWSFLASH! You don't get "extra credit" for being an engineer or a math major or whatever. If you like that stuff, fine, do it. Chances are you'll do well. Go for it. If you don't, it doesn't mean you can't handle med school. It means you don't want to be an engineer.

persephone1 said:
thats a pretty stupid thing to say. I am both a bio and anthro major and i can say with much certainty that anthro at least half the time took more out of me writing on some fairly difficult topics then the hard sciences, where things were more absolute and concrete. Id also like to see you take this stance towards something like philosophy, somethign that will make most people drown in its sheer abstraction.

Thanks Jackie for calling BS. I almost had an aneurysm when I read the post you just responded to.

The whole elitist science/engineering major thing drives me through the wall. Yes, science classes are very hard, but so are writing essays in French and trying to interpret Freud and Foucault.

ADeadLois said:
Thanks Jackie for calling BS. I almost had an aneurysm when I read the post you just responded to.

The whole elitist science/engineering major thing drives me through the wall. Yes, science classes are very hard, but so are writing essays in French and trying to interpret Freud and Foucault.

*high five* No problem. French was a b!tch! We had to read "The Little Prince", in FRENCH! It is a kids book and it kicked my sweet, sweet, @ss.

jackieMD2007 said:
But... God Forbid... Anthro and political science are actually fun and a great change from the science overload...
Something I probably should have done, BUT, now I never have to take math again, and know more than most people going into med school... and personally it made me feel good that I made it through what were the hardest classes I'd ever taken (minus p-chem)
And I don't think you can compare "hard" in writing a paper that is interesting, atleast slightly, to studying for a hideously boring linear algebra test... just arn't in the same boat...

I'm going to say don't make a judgement on math classes unless you've taken them. :) Oh, and I've taken anthropology, psychology, sociology, history, English, French, Spanish, and double majored in dance. I'm just talking from personal experience. Math was the hardest thing I've ever had to do, and I respect people who are Math/CS/engineering because of it. So go shoot me.

fact is math and science courses don't grade inflate like the non-sciences... looking through average grades for my school for each of these courses, you'll see that 100-200 level chem, physics, and math classes regularly have class averages of about a C/C+, as opposed to non-science classes which have averages around B/B+... that's just a fact, look it up yourself for your school, there are plenty of sites that compile this data and will give it to you for a small fee

ADeadLois said:

No, its not, and here is why.
When I've written esays in French (oh god, yes I have), even if I do poorly, the lowest the teacher would give me is a B-, because you can always revise, get help from people who are great at french, etc.
Interpreting Freud and Foucault (which I havn't done, but let me rant for a second) is something that, maybe isn't SUPER fun, but there are alot of interesting rescources available for you and in the end, you can discuss these concepts over a cup of coffee with a study group.

Lets move to the hard sciences. First, no matter what, I feel they are nessesary (atleast for me) because come post-grad work I don't think I'll be in any situation where I'm eliminated from understanding a concept becasue the numbers are to difficult. Secondly, I agree that non-science work is essential to building you as a person, but you can get those experiences outside the classroom too... (albiet not as well... but so be it)

I dunno, in the end I think the constant "ranting" comes from the fact that so many of us are frustrated with how boring pure math and science can be (hence the choice for physician).
Also, I am just plain sick of how socially inept so many people in my classes are, and that kind of ineptitude (the person who doesn't go out friday or saterday, let alone thursday, the new start of the weekend) is the one I've been compeating with for grades my entire college carreer.

Lets just chalk one up for jelously on my behalf, ok? Because I wish I would have taken a second major that was both interesting and that padded my GPA... who knows, maybe I'll have a chance post-bac.... :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
:sleep: :sleep: :sleep:

Biomedical Engineering Majors are AWESOME!!

Except of course the ones that are under the impression that they can pick and choose which grades to use in the calculation of their GPAs....

KrispyKreme said:

chewsnuffles said:
Secondly, I agree that non-science work is essential to building you as a person, but you can get those experiences outside the classroom too... (albiet not as well... but so be it)

No, non-science work serves the same purpose as science courses, that is, building your knowledge base in whatever disciple you're studying. You can't look at all of academia through a pre-med lens.

chewsnuffles said:
Also, I am just plain sick of how socially inept so many people in my classes are, and that kind of ineptitude (the person who doesn't go out friday or saterday, let alone thursday, the new start of the weekend) is the one I've been compeating with for grades my entire college carreer.

I'm not sure what you're getting at here. So you don't want to compete academically with people who aren't as popular as you? I don't understand what you're trying to say.

And once again, that is why you choose a major you know you're going to enjoy...
Sorry, can't cheat the system. Numbers are numbers, no matter what your major is. Maybe it's true that an A or borderline B in sciences/engineering is looked as better than an A in non-sciences, but a C or lower in sciences/engineering doesn't overcome an A in non-sciences.

You chose the ground in which you are going to compete. What good is whining going to do.

For those who say you dont get extra points for science majors or engineering only holds true to a point. It won't make up for a poor performance but if you can take bioengineering and recieve a decent gpa maybe 3.7 a non sci with the same gpa is going to be accepted less. Also the number one major for people who apply and get accepted to med school is Bioengineering which mean the adcoms do understand the difficutly of the major, but biology has the lowest percent of acceptances for people with it as a major.

OB/GYN Sim said:
For those who say you dont get extra points for science majors or engineering only holds true to a point. It won't make up for a poor performance but if you can take bioengineering and recieve a decent gpa maybe 3.7 a non sci with the same gpa is going to be accepted less. Also the number one major for people who apply and get accepted to med school is Bioengineering which mean the adcoms do understand the difficutly of the major, but biology has the lowest percent of acceptances for people with it as a major.

But if you look at the bigger picture, there is a LOT less biomedical engineering majors applying than biology majors.

If 5 biomed majors apply and 3 get in, of course the ratio will be higher than 20 bio majors applying with only 8 getting in.

^^That is also true.

That doesn't mean biomedical engineering has an advantage in applications, it just may mean that the students who are actually in it are generally better at math and science. My friends who are in BME have in general done better on the MCATS than som eof my other friends.

ADeadLois said:
I'm not sure what you're getting at here. So you don't want to compete academically with people who aren't as popular as you? I don't understand what you're trying to say.
NOT at all, infact, I think thats a compleatly unfair way to phrase that... I'm saying that in medicine, you have to be a well rounded person (Hence interviews...) and that although the people I AM compeating with are very smart, they won't be good doctors nessesarily. They study alot, but people skills are non exsistant. Thats what I'm trying to say. In other departments,you don't get that, and often being pre-med is as study oriented as you can be and are going to take top grades because of that. In math, you are compeating against students who go to math tournaments (I'm not knocking it, I did it in high school) regularly and are solely focused on MATH!

We're getting a little side tracked here.

Okay non-science major people, you can calm down now.
I respect your intelligence and even acknowledge that some of your majors can be just as challenging as science majors.
But that is beside the point.

Anyway thanks for your help guys.
I've decided that I should take ALL of my math classes again, including the ones I got Bs in and the ones I passed with my AP credits.

Will that be a waste of time? probably
But it'll bring my BCPM up and I'll feel better about my mathetmatical abilities... and hopefully medical schools will see it as a person who is committed to excellence rather than just someone trying to boost GPAs
Because I really want to prove to myself that I can get As in freakin UCSD math classes... I mean I'm not at MIT or cal tech. I should be able to beat these fools and stay 1.5 standard deviation above the average.

If you have any comments to make on my decision, please feel free to do so.
Thanks in advance.

chewsnuffles said:
NOT at all, infact, I think thats a compleatly unfair way to phrase that... I'm saying that in medicine, you have to be a well rounded person (Hence interviews...) and that although the people I AM compeating with are very smart, they won't be good doctors nessesarily. They study alot, but people skills are non exsistant. Thats what I'm trying to say. In other departments,you don't get that, and often being pre-med is as study oriented as you can be and are going to take top grades because of that. In math, you are compeating against students who go to math tournaments (I'm not knocking it, I did it in high school) regularly and are solely focused on MATH!
This is NO JOKE. One of my roommates in college was a math major, and his goal in life was (honestly, I am not making this up, cross my heart, etc) to find the largest perfect number. For those of you that had other things to do besides learning what a perfect number is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perfect_number

Bottom Line: Math majors can be extremely hardcore

jota_jota said:
This is NO JOKE. One of my roommates in college was a math major, and his goal in life was (honestly, I am not making this up, cross my heart, etc) to find the largest perfect number. For those of you that had other things to do besides learning what a perfect number is:

Well. :laugh: I just can't think of something to say to that. Wow.

When I've written esays in French (oh god, yes I have), even if I do poorly, the lowest the teacher would give me is a B-, because you can always revise, get help from people who are great at french, etc.

Then you had some pretty messed up teachers. I had many friends who were English Lit majors with lower GPA's than mine and let it be known that I did in fact get C's on papers all the time. Writing isn't my thing. Give me PChem over Philosophy or Humanities (got C's in both) anyday. Maybe there's something wrong with the level of instruction at your school because I can tell you that at my school or any school nearby where some of my friends went, there is such a thing as working your ass off on a paper and still getting a C and sometimes a D.

To the OP: yes, there's a way to get rid of the M in BCPM. Apply DO. They don't count math in your science GPA and if you retake, only the last grade is counted when calculating your overall GPA.

jota_jota said:

Thanks for the support. And also, that kind of thing can be extreemly rewarding, I'd look into it if I didn't have an attention span only slightly longer than the average american (the length of a commercial)... but I digress...
Perfect numbers eh... what have I been doing with my life?
Seriously though, if he finds it he'll be famous, just look at Andrew Wiles, even I find him somewhat of an idol... (although I could never lock myself in an attic for as long as he did pouring over numbers), but the determination is there, no doubt.
And of course Fenymen is one of those well spoken geniuses who you just wish you could have met in person. Probably would have been a good doctor too...

MedStudentWanna said:
Then you had some pretty messed up teachers. I had many friends who were English Lit majors with lower GPA's than mine and let it be known that I did in fact get C's on papers all the time. Writing isn't my thing. Give me PChem over Philosophy or Humanities (got C's in both) anyday. Maybe there's something wrong with the level of instruction at your school because I can tell you that at my school or any school nearby where some of my friends went, there is such a thing as working your ass off on a paper and still getting a C and sometimes a D.

To the OP: yes, there's a way to get rid of the M in BCPM. Apply DO. They don't count math in your science GPA and if you retake, only the last grade is counted when calculating your overall GPA.
Point taken, and I do agree with this to an extent...

Here I will digress slightly, but bare with me... people who want to be doctors want to do it for alot of reasons, for me it is because it combines Physiology (my love) and people interaction (and more genetics every day, my mistress). That said, O-chem suddenly becomes slighly meaningless since I don't plan on designing drugs anytime soon... (we can bicker over this point, but just let it go, I know... everyone needs a general understanding of reaction mechanisms)
When you chose a lit major you do it because you love literature I'd hope, and not only is it a means to a degree (the goal) but the actual classes (the means) should be of great interest too....

But the biggest thing I have to say is that (to my knowledge) there is no such thing as a lit major weed out class. (yes, I know, there is such a surplus of them after all...)

Also, the fact that your friend worked her ass of and got a D can also be compared to one of my P-chem tests where I worked my ass off and got a 50% (F!) And there are no "re-writes" in p-chem sadly. The class average was a 65 and the teacher just pretty much said it was a hard test, maybe the next one will be easier, but no curve...

I'm not trying to say I'm the smartest thing to ever come out of acedamia just because of the courses I took or anything, but ya gotta give it to the sciences that competition is there for the pre meds AND the non-pre meds, they are all planning on persueing post-grad work on the whole, and its a very cold enviroment because the numbers don't lie and you can't arugue a wrong answer very well... etc,
comments welcome...

I think people should stop complaining about "easy" majors. I think most people who think like that probably enjoy something "easy" more than science, and are mad that some people are willing to do something different. What I'm saying is, they're just jealous that they didn't choose the "easy" path.

Point is: ff it's easy for you, and you want to do something easy, do it.

chewsnuffles said:

I still don't understand what you're trying to say. Where do pre-meds get their "people" skills from? I wasn't trying to misreprestent what you said. ; I honestly don't understand your argument.

ADeadLois said:
I still don't understand what you're trying to say. Where do pre-meds get their "people" skills from? I wasn't trying to misreprestent what you said. ; I honestly don't understand your argument.
Fair enough:
Basic argument is that you have less time with the heavy science majors and you end up devoting the majority of your life to the classes instead of, basically, enjoying college, spending time with friends, having deep extra ciricular experiences.
To be a sucessful chemical engineer or biomedical engineer, you don't need personal skills (don't try to argue with me on this one, my dads a sucessful structual engineer and has NO people skills). Lots of them live behind the text books. Hard workers, I admire it, but a pre-med student has very different long term goals than them

Oh, and yes, I am slightly jelous that I didnt chose other majors and minors FYI. :laugh: