Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

my GPA

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Lisochka, Dec 10, 2005.

1. Lisochka

Lisochka Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Hi guys,
    I have a degree from my country, which was completed in 1997. (And as I understand I could use just that degree for med school application)
    I took one class from University of Phoenix, got 3.65 G PA
    Then I am taking Physics now and my GPA is 3.3 (I spent 2 last years trying to improve my GPA in this college) but looks like I will get just a freaking B in Physics. So, I guess it will lower my GPA again, shoot!
    Next semster I am taking Biology (from a tough teacher, so I doubt if I get an A), then Microbiology and Organic and those are hard and I doubt that I will get an A in those also.
    Anyway, I could get the whole bunch of classes during this summer just to improve my GPA, but then it will put me behind in preparing for the MCAT.
    I guess, I could take one extra year just to take some classes that are easy...
    Anyway, should I forget about the GPA and just take the classes I need, and just not to send the transcripts from this college when I apply to a Med School? but then they might ask me if I took any classses in the US? And what should I say? Yeah, one class in the University of Phoenix :thumbdown:
    Or should I try and still spend a year to improve my GPA, then my application will look stronger, but max I could improve it too is 3.5, I guess. But, it would not even be a Bachelor's degree, because our college does not have a Bachelor programms. (But I do have a Master degree from my country)
    Or, If I take the second year trying to improve my GPA, I could end up with higher than that. But I will have to postpone my application to the Med school for 3 more years, and I am already 30 years old.

Would appreciate your advise.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. willow18

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I'd kill for that 6.5 GPA.

On a more serious note, you can't "not send" transcripts from a given school. You are required to send everything from every college/univ you've ever attended. Do your requirements, and DO care about your GPA. Work hard, you won't regret it come application time.

4. Lisochka

Lisochka Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

It was just for 1 class.
    The rest classes I took at our community college, where I have GPA 3.3 and looks like it will go down.

So, do you guys think I should take some easy classes like PE or pottering to improve my GPA, even though it will delay my application to the med School for the whole year?
    Oh man! I am already 30 years old!

How it will look on my application that I took easy classes? Will it harm me?

5. Lisochka

Lisochka Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

But how will they know that I did not send them?
    I can just send the degree from my country and from the University of Phoenix, right?
    It is not like they are going to call other colleges asking if I ever was a student there.
    Well, it is probably not fair thing to do...
    Or may be they can truck me somehow in different way, like by SSN.
    I don't know... What do you guys think?

6. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    When you are completing AMCAS you are asserting that you have provided transcripts from every college/univerisity anywhere that you have attended. If you lie about this and are ever caught, it would likely be grounds for withdrawal of your acceptance, expulsion from med school, or denial of a medical license. There are some academic databases out there which may store school attendance information, and are likely to be many more in the future. You need to provide the information required by AMCAS, and not risk your future.

7. Flopotomist

Flopotomist I love the Chicago USPS
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I'm still curious what a 6.5 is.. is that on some other scale? (obviously) You will find that we are generally used to a 4 point scale here, so a 6.5 makes no sense to us.

8. Lisochka

Lisochka Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Oooooops, I am sorry!
    It was 3.65
    Sorry guys. What was I thinking!

9. Lisochka

Lisochka Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Yeah, you are right.
    It would not be a fair thing to do.

What AMCAS, by the way?

10. riceman04

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

11. Lisochka

Lisochka Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

what is so funny?
    Could you do me a favor and share what made you laugh?
    May be I will find it funny also!

12. Kiroro

Kiroro Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    First of all, if your undergraduate degree is not from US or Canada, you have to get at least one year of US college education to apply. You cannot just use your transcripts from your home country and say "here, evaluate me with these grades". Your countries colleges are not considered as accredited by US.

13. Lisochka

Lisochka Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Thanks guys....
    so I guess, I will have to improve my GPA... It is a better choice than to lie...