My GPAs were calculated. What do you think?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sunspear

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Numbers seem to be a huge factor in getting interviews, so I was curious about mine. My GPAs were calculated by AADSAS a few weeks ago and I was just wondering what you all think in terms of competitiveness. The first number is including +/-, and the number after the comma is without +/-.

Total GPA: 3.40, 3.40
Science GPA: 3.24, 3.23.
Non-Science GPA: 3.66, 3.69.
BCP GPA: 3.14, 3.13.

My DAT is 22/23/22 (AA, TS, PAT).

I'm a CA resident and applied to UCSF, UoP, UCLA, USC, Western, UNLV, ASDOH, Michigan, NYU, Columbia, Penn, Maryland, and Boston.

I got quite a few B's and C's during undergrad, but pulled straight A's my last semester there. I then did a year of CC classes after graduating (for financial reasons) including several science courses and got straight A's. So, there's a pretty big upward trend grade-wise.

Thanks for any feedback and opinions! :)

P.S.... does non-science GPA even matter? lol

Members don't see this ad.

Numbers seem to be a huge factor in getting interviews, so I was curious about mine. My GPAs were calculated by AADSAS a few weeks ago and I was just wondering what you all think in terms of competitiveness. The first number is including +/-, and the number after the comma is without +/-.

I'm a CA resident and applied to UCSF, UoP, UCLA, USC, Western, UNLV, ASDOH, Michigan, NYU, Columbia, Penn, Maryland, and Boston.

I got quite a few B's and C's during undergrad, but pulled straight A's my last semester there. I then did a year of CC classes after graduating (for financial reasons) including several science courses and got straight A's. So, there's a pretty big upward trend grade-wise.

You've seen people on here get in with 2.9s and 21AA....soooo...let's use our common sense.:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, when did you submit ur application? I am still waiting for my gpa being verified.

I am on the opposite side. I have a low nsGPA and high sGPA. I guess it will depend on schools.

Man, it seems like everyone from Cal has a low GPA...remind me why people go there again?

Man, it seems like everyone from Cal has a low GPA...remind me why people go there again?

It's a great school, it attracts lots of brilliant students -- it's just very competiive (especially if you're pre-med/dental)! I know for me, it took me a while to figure out how to rise above the challenge and get the A.

hey i go to cal too :p

we're pretty much applying to all the same schools. good luck!!!! :thumbup:

We have pretty similar stats, I have like 3.2 sci and 3.3 total GPA, with a 24/23/23 or something

I only applied to 4 schools, so if worst comes to worst, rest assured that I am taking a waaaaaay bigger gamble than you ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
We have pretty similar stats, I have like 3.2 sci and 3.3 total GPA, with a 24/23/23 or something

I only applied to 4 schools, so if worst comes to worst, rest assured that I am taking a waaaaaay bigger gamble than you ;)

why only 4?

If a school's average GPA is like 3.5, then I wonder -- what is the standard deviation like?

Law schools report percentiles, so I went to go look there for reference. Varied pretty dramatically from school to school, so to answer your question.... who knows?

I also applied to UoP, Western, NYU, and Penn (Also all the FL schools since that's where I live).

BCP: 3.38 Sci: 3.34 Non: 3.66 Total: 3.44
DAT: AA:21 TS:20 PAT:19
Looks like we're going to be tight competitors!! I'm confident that you'll get into your dream school. What's your top choice?

:)

Thanks OCD -- good luck to you, too! I have a question ... when schools report their "science GPA", do they mean the Science GPA (like it shows on aadsas "science gpa"), or the BCP GPA?

Thanks OCD -- good luck to you, too! I have a question ... when schools report their "science GPA", do they mean the Science GPA (like it shows on aadsas "science gpa"), or the BCP GPA?
The few schools I met with said they use the BCP for admissions (primarily the pre-requisite sciences). I'm not sure if other schools use the entire sGPA.

Does the other science GPA taken into consideration if your sGPA is low???

It's a great school, it attracts lots of brilliant students -- it's just very competiive (especially if you're pre-med/dental)! I know for me, it took me a while to figure out how to rise above the challenge and get the A.

How did you figure out to get the A? Just more hours of studying? I'm currently at that point in time where I'm trying to get those A's in my sciences...

Definitely more time studying, but the key for me was to figure out how I study best with that time. Personally I retain stuff by actually writing things out over-and-over... so for example, when I would study for an anatomy lab practical (i.e., identifying structures/functions), I would make TONS of flash cards! Even the very act of writing down the question and answer would help my retention. This was also true for my DAT -- whenever I'd miss a practice question, I'd write down the entire question on one side of the flash card, and the answer on the back. I ended up with a 24 in Bio, so this method worked for me.

I also benefitted a lot from practice tests. A lot of times my science professors would give us access to past exams of theirs, which were very beneficial to take. Seriously, if you can ever get your hands on past midterms/finals to study, they're a big help!