My grades- how bad does it look to have...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedrose

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How bad does having 2 B+ and 2 A- look in your soph. year if you had only 2 A- doing your freshman year.

Soph. Year
2 B+ = Physics 2 and Chem 2
2 A- = Chem 1 and Lit

Fresh. Year
2 A- = Calc 2 and Politics

Members don't see this ad.

Not too bad. Keep things in perspective and try to keep that GPA up to around a 3.7-3.8.

Many students have a sophomore slump where their grades take a dip; this isn't as bad as what others go through.

How bad does having 2 B+ and 2 A- look in your soph. year if you had only 2 A- doing your freshman year.

Soph. Year
2 B+ = Physics 2 and Chem 2:eek::confused:
2 A- = Chem 1 and Lit :thumbup:

Fresh. Year
2 A- = Calc 2 and Politics:thumbup:
hope you caught the sarcasm
i think it's kind of random that you didn't list all your grades (or did you not take enough credits to be deemed full time?).

you're doing ok by the way, not extraordinary but your gpa should still be pretty good. getting B's once in a while wont kill your app... remember that plenty of people get in with a few C's and W's on their transcripts (sometime's even worse!). just continue putting in the work and getting As. your most important grades will be junior year and beyond so don't worry so much about whether or not your grades so far will be looked upon favorably.. you're doing fine.

Members don't see this ad :)

Soph. Year
2 A- = Chem 1 and Lit

Fresh. Year

Not that bad, but...based on this limited data, you are headed to a BCPM of 3.5, and your goal should be 3.7+...so to get there, you need to start making As...at least you have time to do that...

How is your cum GPA? Same problem...

Uh...this bad? (*holds up hands*)

Adcoms will not be looking at the subtle gradations in GPA between each academic year for some portent of your character. That's what tea leaves, chicken entrails, and I Ching sticks are for.

They will look at your overall GPA. They will look at your science/math GPA. To a lesser degree, they will take note of dramatic and/or long-term trends in GPA. The difference between freshman and sophomore is not long-term, and the difference between an A- and a B+ is not dramatic.

Stop freaking out. You're only a sophomore (or junior to be), and freak out is contagious. Next thing you know your whole pre-med class will be neurotic. Or are we too late?

hope you caught the sarcasm
i think it's kind of random that you didn't list all your grades (or did you not take enough credits to be deemed full time?).

you're doing ok by the way, not extraordinary but your gpa should still be pretty good. getting B's once in a while wont kill your app... remember that plenty of people get in with a few C's and W's on their transcripts (sometime's even worse!). just continue putting in the work and getting As. your most important grades will be junior year and beyond so don't worry so much about whether or not your grades so far will be looked upon favorably.. you're doing fine.

I took about 15 credits average (not so much but does count as full time) and got A's in rest of my classes but these are the classes that I didn't get A's in.

Sorry to be the only bearer of bad news here, but this will ruin any chances you have of attending not only medical school, but any graduate program period. At this point, I would recommend just dropping out of college, picking a nice trade school, and going that route.

I took about 15 credits average (not so much but does count as full time) and got A's in rest of my classes but these are the classes that I didn't get A's in.

ahh, ok. yea you're fine. the avg matriculant has a gpa of about 3.65+ so as long as you are in the 3.7+ range you should be fine.

side note: actually, depending on which school you go to, a 3.7 might not even be necessary. i just found out yesterday that the from 2001-2007, applicants from my school with a 3.3 cum gpa had a 85%+ allopathic med school acceptance rate. my jaw dropped, lol. but yea, obviously shoot for the highest gpa possible (making sure you don't sacrifice too much and hurt your well-roundedness in terms of EC's, etc.)
but then again the average gpa for accepted students was a 3.6+ with a 32+ mcat

You're fine lol, stop reading these forums, you don't need a 4.00 to get into med school (hardly any school with screen you for a 3.6 or 3.7), life is good man just kick back.

*Insert generic comment about Killing the MCAT, having Clinical Experience, having an "interesting" EC's *

You're fine lol, stop reading these forums, you don't need a 4.00 to get into med school (hardly any school with screen you for a 3.6 or 3.7), life is good man just kick back.

Seriously

+1!

Man, I wish I'd been in the OPs situation after MY sophomore year...

Soph. Year
2 A- = Chem 1 and Lit

Fresh. Year

You will never get into medschool now. Go quit and fold jeans at the Gap...

Of course you are fine. I actually have 11 non "A" grades from Freshman and Sophomore Year, and my GPA is just fine... although it would have been higher if I planned better.

You will never get into medschool now. Go quit and fold jeans at the Gap...

Of course you are fine. I actually have 11 non "A" grades from Freshman and Sophomore Year, and my GPA is just fine... although it would have been higher if I planned better.

Is it really possible to have a 3.84 GPA with 11 non "A" grades. Even if they were all B+?

Maybe so...seems unlikely, though, because if 11 grades represents the roughly 1/4 of the grades received in 4 years, or about a quarter of them, and if all of them were B+ or 3.3, wouldn't that cap a GPA at around 3.82, tops?

Tell us how you did it...

Is it really possible to have a 3.84 GPA with 11 non "A" grades. Even if they were all B+?

Maybe so...seems unlikely, though, because if 11 grades represents the roughly 1/4 of the grades received in 4 years, or about a quarter of them, and if all of them were B+ or 3.3, wouldn't that cap a GPA at around 3.82, tops?

Tell us how you did it...

Yah. My school is on the Quarter System and to get picky, my GPA is 3.838, but AMCAS rounds up:D

Chem Lab: 2 units each: A-, B+, B+
Physics Lab: 1 unit each: B, B+,
General Chemistry: 4 units each: A-, B+
Physics: 4 units each: A-
Bio Lab Writing: 4 units: A-
Intro to Bio Med Engineering: 3 units: A-
Humanities 4 units each: B+, B+, B+, A-
Soc Sci: 6 units!: B
Microbiology Lab: 3 units: A-
(Wow, I suck at labs, which is strange cuz I love research)

Oh that makes 16 non "A" classes. Never mind. Oh did I mention I have 186 units done, and I am a third year. Basically to offset all of these bad grades, I took A LOT of units.

Yah. My school is on the Quarter System and to get picky, my GPA is 3.838, but AMCAS rounds up:D

Chem Lab: 2 units each: A-, B+, B+
Physics Lab: 1 unit each: B, B+,
General Chemistry: 4 units each: A-, B+
Physics: 4 units each: A-
Bio Lab Writing: 4 units: A-
Intro to Bio Med Engineering: 3 units: A-
Humanities 4 units each: B+, B+, B+, A-
Soc Sci: 6 units!: B
Microbiology Lab: 3 units: A-
(Wow, I suck at labs, which is strange cuz I love research)

Oh that makes 16 non "A" classes. Never mind. Oh did I mention I have 186 units done, and I am a third year. Basically to offset all of these bad grades, I took A LOT of units.

That is a bunch of B plusses, and I can see that you are right.

Good job.