my grades in freshman and sophomore year of college

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
L

Livenitup

Hi there everyone!

I had an uneasy first year and I just didn't do well in my major classes. I got a B in PSY 103, intro to psych, a b- into gen chem lab I, a c in gen chem 1 and calc A. For my second semester, I got a c in gen chem lab 2, a c in gen chem 2, a pass ( as in fail 0ption) for calc 2, a d for intro to bio. As for my third semester in college, I got a F in retaking again the intro to bio class, organic chem 1 ( F) and B- for European history ( intro), sociology of medicine and a writing class about poetry ( B). So far, my grades have been subpar for all my classes and its shameful to see myself in this situation. What do you think I should do now? I do want to get into grad school and then become an optometrist. Are there anything I can improve upon and increase my GPA as well as my application for grad school? I would say I am in the pre med track.

Members don't see this ad.

Why are you failing these classes? Are you studying for the tests and still bombing? Or are you not taking school seriously enough and doing just enough to get by?

If you are trying your best and still failing basic classes like Orgo 1, you will have a much more difficult time in optometry school. So what you can do is study harder and bring your grades up. Just because they are bad in the first two years doesn't mean you are out of the question. An upward trend in grades, work experience, and a solid OAT are key to being considered. Make sure its something you really want to do. Competition is stiff and there are hundreds of really strong and intelligent applicants out there. But hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard.

Good luck

You should consult an academic counselor and attend tutoring. Failing intro level classes is something that professional schools will not look past. If you truly want to get into optometry school you need to figure out why you are failing your science classes and work very hard to bring up your grades. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Focus on your OAT. I applied with a 2.9 GPA but I scored in the 96th percentile for the OAT and gained acceptance into the two schools I've interviewed at.

Focus on your OAT. I applied with a 2.9 GPA but I scored in the 96th percentile for the OAT and gained acceptance into the two schools I've interviewed at.
congratulation!! you must be very smart.. any advise for test and GPA 2.9 is OptomCas calculated?