Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

My gut says UC Davis, but . . .

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by chevaliermalfet, Apr 30, 2007.

1. chevaliermalfet

chevaliermalfet Don't stop belivin'!

Medical Student
    I just got into UC Davis last week, and now I need to decide my priorities if I get off the wait lists at BU or MCW come May 15th (i.e if MCW calls me, do I say yes and drop Davis?). My gut tells me go to UC Davis; it's much cheaper than BU, it's a good school with a new campus, I'll be back in California and it means I'll be able to have Thanksgiving at home for the first time in 4 years. But BU and MCW were all amazing in their own rights, and I'm afraid I'm not being entirely rational about this decision. So, could you guys tell me by either giving me

a) good reasons for choosing Davis that will make me feel more confident in my intuition, or

b) reasons why I am crazy for not giving MCW or BU more interest.

Thanks so much for your input you guys, and best of luck to everyone still waiting!:luck:

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. armybound

armybound future urologist.
    Physician Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    go with your gut

4. Pinkertinkle

Pinkertinkle 2003 Member

Attending Physician
    I went to Davis over wustl. You would have to be crazy to go to MCW or BU over Davis.

5. BigRedPremed

BigRedPremed Senior Member

Pre-Medical
    Sounds like UC Davis would be the rational decision.

6. Falco2525

Medical Student
    Definitly go with your gut...I actually would choose UC Davis over the others

7. y8507

I would definitely choose Davis over the others. Go with your gut! :)

8. CrimsOnMama

Pre-Medical
    Yeah, you can't beat Thanksgiving at home. Esp during a (potentially) stressful first year.

9. evade

evade Our Lady of DNA

Attending Physician
    I got into MCW and BU as well. MCW was nice, but nothing special to me. BU caught my eye for the same reasons UCD did: collegial atmosphere, friendly students and faculty, good program. . .but the idea of living in Boston for 4 years didn't sit well with me. I suppose you could call it a gut feeling.

I chose UC Davis, hands-down. For location, for in-state tuition, for my love for this school (went to UCD for undergrad as well), for the people, and for the good feeling I got when I interviewed here. I didn't even know about the plan for the new med school when I said yes to UCD. ;)

Now, 2 years later, I have absolutely no regrets. If I were to choose again, I'd make the same decision. :) Really, the bottom line is to follow your heart. Any US medical school will get you that coveted MD, so you want to choose the place you'll be happiest doing it. Med school is hard, but it doesn't have to be a chore.

Good luck with your choice! PM me if you've got any questions about Davis, and I'll be happy to answer. Be warned, though, that this is finals week, so I might be a little slow. :)

10. DblHelix

DblHelix Member

Dood, Chev. You're talkin' crazy talk here. You know UC Davis is the best. You just can't beat Northern California, the in-state tuition, sweet student-run clinics, awesome outdoors activities all around Sac Town, a beautiful new education building and a great medical center with, hopefully, a new Ambulatory Care Center and ER by the time we are rotating. Oh and don't forget that Sacramento housing is redonkulously cheap, at least compared to Boston and San Francisco.

P.S. Looking at your MDApps, the only school I'd even consider over Davis is OHSU...

11. lina123321

lina123321 ralph: im a unitard

Medical Student
    its the MJ thats making him talk like this:laugh: :laugh: but seriously, go w/your gut if you're the kinda person whose mind down the road will ruminate and regret about the "what if..."

12. chevaliermalfet

chevaliermalfet Don't stop belivin'!

Medical Student
    Thanks so much for all the input guys!! Y'all are getting me seriously stoked about davis! Norcal and San Francisco have always been my first loves . . . maybe it really is time to come home.

13. SalseraDoctora

SalseraDoctora Senior Member

Non-Student
    I think this decision should also depend on where you want to do residency and in what field. I was accepted to a school that is ranked considerably higher than Davis in primary care, so I know that feeling of being torn. For me the in-state tuition and proximity to my family and friends wins out hands down over a much higher ranking, but there is that small voice in my head that wonders whether my thinking on this topic is correct. I would speak to some people who have gone into the specialty you are considering and get their advice if you really can't decide. Also speak with students at both schools or recent graduates.