mikedoc

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 29, 2006
59
1
Status
Hi.

I have a serious concern and want to hear opinions from dentists.

I am predental and there's a lot of aspects I like about dentistry (as one of my relatives is a dentist and I think what he does is cool). I think I might be interested in being a pediatric dentist because I like kids and I will be applying next year.

My concern is that I think my hand shakes.
Or more exactly, my fingers/finger-tips.
For example, when I hold a light pen, I can see it shaking very slightly
and it seems like I can't hold it still 100%.
The shaking is not severe, but just a little and u can see it.

it's not like I have a problem with my normal life due to hands,
actually, I live a normal life just like everyone else and have no problem whatsoever in activities using hand.
(although I have to say that I really suck at pool game, if this relates to hand-skill activity)
but as I wanna test for my manual dexterity,
and one day, I saw that I couldn't hold a pen 100% still
and this got me thinking that 'maybe I am very clumsy with my hands'
and this led me to think that maybe dentistry is not for me.

Maybe I am too much over-concerned,
but right now, I really don't know.

Should this deter me away from pursuing dentistry and make me go for another career?
Or am i just being way over-concerned?
 

Budmano786

Junior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 6, 2002
29
0
Visit site
Status
majority of people can't hold their hands 100% still when holding a pen...that has very little to do with being sucessful as a dentist...if you are shaking uncontrollably every single day, then you might have a problem...I used to worry about that too, but once I started dental school, it wasn't a problem at all...you'll learn how to use a finger rest to stabilize your hand, and this will take away the shaking...there are, however, times when you will shake more than normal (for example if you are nervous or maybe didn't eat right, etc. etc.), but most people experience this...its a natural part of our physiology and it only means that we are healthy and that our body is doing its job

I wouldn't worry about it at all, keep at it :thumbup:
 

kiggar4l2000

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 18, 2005
90
1
Status
Budmano786 said:
majority of people can't hold their hands 100% still when holding a pen...that has very little to do with being sucessful as a dentist...if you are shaking uncontrollably every single day, then you might have a problem...I used to worry about that too, but once I started dental school, it wasn't a problem at all...you'll learn how to use a finger rest to stabilize your hand, and this will take away the shaking...there are, however, times when you will shake more than normal (for example if you are nervous or maybe didn't eat right, etc. etc.), but most people experience this...its a natural part of our physiology and it only means that we are healthy and that our body is doing its job

I wouldn't worry about it at all, keep at it :thumbup:
my hands tend to shake a little after a good workout...but then it goes away after a few days. i wouldn't worry about it too much either..IMHO
 
About the Ads

clc8503

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 31, 2005
380
0
34
Houston Texas
Status
mikedoc said:
Hi.

I have a serious concern and want to hear opinions from dentists.

I am predental and there's a lot of aspects I like about dentistry (as one of my relatives is a dentist and I think what he does is cool). I think I might be interested in being a pediatric dentist because I like kids and I will be applying next year.

My concern is that I think my hand shakes.
Or more exactly, my fingers/finger-tips.
For example, when I hold a light pen, I can see it shaking very slightly
and it seems like I can't hold it still 100%.
The shaking is not severe, but just a little and u can see it.

it's not like I have a problem with my normal life due to hands,
actually, I live a normal life just like everyone else and have no problem whatsoever in activities using hand.
(although I have to say that I really suck at pool game, if this relates to hand-skill activity)
but as I wanna test for my manual dexterity,
and one day, I saw that I couldn't hold a pen 100% still
and this got me thinking that 'maybe I am very clumsy with my hands'
and this led me to think that maybe dentistry is not for me.

Maybe I am too much over-concerned,
but right now, I really don't know.

Should this deter me away from pursuing dentistry and make me go for another career?
Or am i just being way over-concerned?
It's funny that you mentioned this because I was worried about the same thing last semester. What's hilarious is that I did the same that with my pen that you did, and could notice a little shakiness. I became very concerned, so I made a doctor's appointment. Turns out I was just suffering from anxiety. I had taken on a lot of science courses at one time and I wanted to do well in all of them. I also experienced shortness of breath. After taking medication for about a week, and acing all my finals, my hand stopped shaking and my breathing became normal again. Many people say that dental/med school is stressful, and really do believe them. However, I think some people fail to realize that pre med/dent can be very stressful as well, because if we fail to make the grades now, we'll never get the opportunity to achieve our goals. Are you sure you weren’t just stressed out when you noticed your hand shaking?
 

tinman831

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Dec 11, 2004
11,356
84
Texas
Status
Dentist
No one can hold their hand absolutely still. Your breathing and even your heartbeat will cause your hand to move slightly. Unless your hand is shaking uncontrollably, I wouldn't worry about it. Like Budmano said, you'll learn in dental school how to use a finger rest to stabalize your hand while you work.
 
OP
M

mikedoc

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 29, 2006
59
1
Status
clc8503 said:
It's funny that you mentioned this because I was worried about the same thing last semester. What's hilarious is that I did the same that with my pen that you did, and could notice a little shakiness. I became very concerned, so I made a doctor's appointment. Turns out I was just suffering from anxiety. I had taken on a lot of science courses at one time and I wanted to do well in all of them. I also experienced shortness of breath. After taking medication for about a week, and acing all my finals, my hand stopped shaking and my breathing became normal again. Many people say that dental/med school is stressful, and really do believe them. However, I think some people fail to realize that pre med/dent can be very stressful as well, because if we fail to make the grades now, we'll never get the opportunity to achieve our goals. Are you sure you weren’t just stressed out when you noticed your hand shaking?


Thanks for all of your info.

No, I don't think I was stressed out.
I just sat down on my dest to do some work and thought about hand skill being required in dental school and just wanted to check if my hand shakes or not and noticed that the pen I was holding was shaking very slightly.
 

ItsGavinC

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2001
11,750
18
Arizona
Status
Dentist
tinman831 said:
No one can hold their hand absolutely still. Your breathing and even your heartbeat will cause your hand to move slightly. Unless your hand is shaking uncontrollably, I wouldn't worry about it. Like Budmano said, you'll learn in dental school how to use a finger rest to stabalize your hand while you work.
Ditto, you'll have a fulcrum and that will stabilize you.
 

buck-E

New Member
10+ Year Member
Nov 15, 2005
31
0
Status
Attending Physician
haven't you heard of an essential tremor, beta blockers work great....
 
About the Ads