My hands are tied

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Osteoclast

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
First of all, I've been lurking around these forums for awhile now, so...hello.
Second of all, I'm in a bit of a mess.
Right now, I'm getting a C in my Human Anatomy class. I'll most likely get a C at the end of the semester. The problem is, I really can't afford to drop. If I do drop the class, I lose all of my financial aid, and I just don't have the cash to make up for my losses.
I already have two Cs on my transcript, one C+ in English and one C in Calc (which I'm currently retaking). I know a C will create a big dip in my GPA since I'm just a Sophomore
I also don't have the opportunity to retake this class because I'm transferring to a different university. I could take the course equivalent at the next university, but I'm not sure how that is perceived by medical schools.
My current overall GPA is a 3.5, if that changes any perspectives about my situation.

What should I do? I feel like my hands are tied, but there might be something I'm overlooking completely. Brutal honesty and encouragement are ever welcome.

Members don't see this ad.

Will you lose aid because you have too few credit hours? You could always look into registering for an 8 weeks class (if your school has that option) to replace it.

First of all, I've been lurking around these forums for awhile now, so...hello.
Second of all, I'm in a bit of a mess.
Right now, I'm getting a C in my Human Anatomy class. I'll most likely get a C at the end of the semester. The problem is, I really can't afford to drop. If I do drop the class, I lose all of my financial aid, and I just don't have the cash to make up for my losses.
I already have two Cs on my transcript, one C+ in English and one C in Calc (which I'm currently retaking). I know a C will create a big dip in my GPA since I'm just a Sophomore
I also don't have the opportunity to retake this class because I'm transferring to a different university. I could take the course equivalent at the next university, but I'm not sure how that is perceived by medical schools.
My current overall GPA is a 3.5, if that changes any perspectives about my situation.

What should I do? I feel like my hands are tied, but there might be something I'm overlooking completely. Brutal honesty and encouragement are ever welcome.

You're a sophomore. You have three whole semesters to show improvement if you apply traditionally, five if you take a gap year or two. That's lots of time. 3.5 is not a bad GPA for where you are in your college career.

But figure out why you're getting Cs and fix it. Don't keep repeating your mistakes.

Members don't see this ad :)
But figure out why you're getting Cs and fix it. Don't keep repeating your mistakes.

+1 If you have taken 15 or so classes in your college career and 20% of them have ended up in a C (or will), then you have some work to do before you move on to harder courses.

Will you lose aid because you have too few credit hours? You could always look into registering for an 8 weeks class (if your school has that option) to replace it.
Oh, I so wish that was and option. Because of how small my school is, only upper division business classes with perquisites I don't need meet after the beginning of the semester.

You're a sophomore. You have three whole semesters to show improvement if you apply traditionally, five if you take a gap year or two. That's lots of time. 3.5 is not a bad GPA for where you are in your college career.

Thanks! I have such a peculiar grade trend. I have mostly A's on my transcript with a few B's and C's. I'm definitely doing something wrong to earn so many C's but I'm not sure what it is.
Another thing to clarify, by credit standing, I'm actually a Junior. My Biology career started a bit late.