1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

My Hawaii Experience

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by kutastha, Nov 3, 2001.

1. kutastha

kutastha 2K Member
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Hey everyone,

I've been interviewing in Hawaii for the past two days, and I must say, it's much nicer than the East Coast! :) I don't know of many people on SDN who applied out here (other than Amy Beth), but I recommend it to everyone! I'm actually very impressed with their attention to the students and their learning. I discovered they went to the PBL several years ago because of financial concerns. In addition, just yesterday they were granted $150 million to build a brand new medical school in Honolulu harbor. Their new Dean is from Yale and is dedicated to growth of the medical school in research and they just started an MD/PhD program, which is aided by a $9.3 million grant from NIH. It reminds me a lot of USC a couple years ago, as they are trying to also build the reputation of the school. I must say, I'm sold. Although I think the only reason I got an interview here was due to a clerical error as Dr. Izutsu had on his form that I was Hawaiian :confused:. I've heard a lot of rumors that this guy was intimidating and downright rough, but he was absolutely delightful. I'm very impressed and think that this is an outstanding school, with a committment for improvement. Plus, you can't beat the Hawaiian environment. Now, two days of rest and relaxation!

Andrew

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. none

none 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

I thought they very, very strictly only took people who had Hawaiian residency or some major tie to the state?

4. kutastha

kutastha 2K Member
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    They told me it goes by a point system - everything, including Hawaiian ties, are taken into consideration, and given a value point. If you get a certain number, you qualify for an interview. I'm not sure if their mistake of thinking me Hawaiian played into the consideration though.

Andrew