iWillOneDay

Membership Revoked
Removed
Aug 16, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
My school health committee better be putting my letters together today because today is the the guaranteed dated. I can't believe they are taking the entire 6 weeks to put the letters together.
I got them all the letter in May. They guaranteed that they will send the packet within 6 weeks of primary app getting released to schools, which was 6 weeks ago now.
They said they will send it even at the last date but if anyone asks for the progress, theirs will be delayed 6 days.

While I know it is still normalish time for the application cycle, I want to see if I get any more IIs/rejections early on so I can plan on taking the MCAT on January for the next cycle.

What do I do if they don't send it by today? I'm honestly thinking about legal actions, even though I don't know how to. Proof? The email they sent me and the policy they have on their website.
But what if I don't get in this cycle? They will have to write my committee letter again and most likely they would f#*& it up (well this letter too. They don't have to but it's easier that way). Hopefully they send it by today because I'm going to flip s*#& if they don't. I did my work so they better do theirs.

Just my rant.

OP
iWillOneDay

iWillOneDay

Membership Revoked
Removed
Aug 16, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm so happy my school doesn't have a committee.

Sorry to hear about your issue. Just be patient at this point and make sure they follow through on the deadline.
Got my DO LOR uploaded to Interfolio today, I got that going for me which is nice.

Reactions: TNmadscientist
OP
iWillOneDay

iWillOneDay

Membership Revoked
Removed
Aug 16, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
They finally uploaded it with 6 hours left of their deadline...

Oct 19, 2013
Status
Pharmacy Student
My school did this too. It was sent at 4:55 on the guaranteed date. :annoyed:

Reactions: iWillOneDay

polylux

5+ Year Member
Mar 26, 2014
Status
Medical Student
I was complete with primary apps on the first day, had most secondary complete by August, and my LoRs didn't get sent through VirtualEvals until 8/20... sigh.

DoctorLacrosse

7+ Year Member
Jan 18, 2012
The Intrawebz
Status
Medical Student
I've went on rants about this before, but I honestly think if these colleges don't have the resources to get our committee letters out in 3 weeks TOPS, then the school shouldn't have them. It just isn't right for us to have to wait like this when we're spending thousands of dollars applying when timing can make all the difference.

I submitted all of my letters and paperwork in late June. was told I could not interview for my letter until August (earliest open date, IMAGINE THAT). 4-6 week turnaround time after the interview. I am at about 5 weeks now with nothing. I'm getting so frustrated that I don't even know what to do. it's ridiculous

OP
iWillOneDay

iWillOneDay

Membership Revoked
Removed
Aug 16, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
I've went on rants about this before, but I honestly think if these colleges don't have the resources to get our committee letters out in 3 weeks TOPS, then the school shouldn't have them. It just isn't right for us to have to wait like this when we're spending thousands of dollars applying when timing can make all the difference.

I submitted all of my letters and paperwork in late June. was told I could not interview for my letter until August (earliest open date, IMAGINE THAT). 4-6 week turnaround time after the interview. I am at about 5 weeks now with nothing. I'm getting so frustrated that I don't even know what to do. it's ridiculous
tell me about it... can't believe they sent mine on the very last day...

I get it. I get that they want to minimize # of people working in the committee so less money have to be paid for their time and more money can be allocated to the committee or the people already working. But come on... they are playing games with our careers...

Good thing LECOM doesn't need your letters to offer you an interview. Thank god (that I don't believe in).

Reactions: DoctorLacrosse

osteohack10

2+ Year Member
May 19, 2014
Midwest
Status
Medical Student
That was the beauty of doing a formal post bacc - committee interviews in March and letters uploaded June 1. I guess having 30 non-trad neurotic post baccs breathing down their necks gets their **** in gear!

Reactions: IslandStyle808

IslandStyle808

Akuma residency or bust!
7+ Year Member
Aug 5, 2012

No it should be more along the lines of ALL MEDICAL SCHOOLS should NOT require them, but recommended them. If this happened, then less students would use their college system committees if inefficient, and those committees would get their butts in gear due to low recommendation letter volumes.

Last edited:
Reactions: DoctorLacrosse

Ailleurs

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 8, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
No it should be more along the lines of ALL MEDICAL SCHOOLS should NOT require them, but recommended them. If this happened, then less students would use their college system committees if inefficient, and those committees would get their butts in gear due to low recommendation letter volumes.
Aren't committee letters already recommended but not necessary? I am not eligible for mine at my post-bacc institution anyway since I was a Biology major at my undergrad and there is no way I am approaching my undergrad's pre-health advisor for a committee letter........ (she told me that DO schools have the same exact application procedures and science GPA classification as MD schools and that like MD schools they average retakes lol).

OP
iWillOneDay

iWillOneDay

Membership Revoked
Removed
Aug 16, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
Aren't committee letters already recommended but not necessary? I am not eligible for mine at my post-bacc institution anyway since I was a Biology major at my undergrad and there is no way I am approaching my undergrad's pre-health advisor for a committee letter........ (she told me that DO schools have the same exact application procedures and science GPA classification as MD schools and that like MD schools they average retakes lol).
I know that a lot take either the committee letter or individual ones.
However, I also know, or at least heard of from committee staffs, that some schools, particularly Univ. Maryland (not DO) requires the committee letter. So i guess, there are other schools out there.

Ailleurs

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 8, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
I know that a lot take either the committee letter or individual ones.
However, I also know, or at least heard of from committee staffs, that some schools, particularly Univ. Maryland (not DO) requires the committee letter. So i guess, there are other schools out there.
Ah, I see. Not that I'd have a shot there being out of state and with my dismal AAMC vs. forgiving AACOMAS gpa!

IslandStyle808

Akuma residency or bust!
7+ Year Member
Aug 5, 2012
Usually on the DO side they are lenient, except for both PCOMs. They are pretty strict about the pre-medical committee letter. If you can't get that then you have to go to a health-advisor or dean. They won't use a science faculty letter as a substitute.

Side note: I don't like both my pre-health advisor nor the associate dean (he's the one that handles the graduate students/post-bacc).

Mar 27, 2014
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Usually on the DO side they are lenient, except for both PCOMs. They are pretty strict about the pre-medical committee letter. If you can't get that then you have to go to a health-advisor or dean. They won't use a science faculty letter as a substitute.

Side note: I don't like both my pre-health advisor nor the associate dean (he's the one that handles the graduate students/post-bacc).
pcom actually does. You just have to have three faculty letters in place, 2 of which has to be science

IslandStyle808

Akuma residency or bust!
7+ Year Member
Aug 5, 2012
pcom actually does. You just have to have three faculty letters in place, 2 of which has to be science
I did this and they still put me on hold (this was last cycle).

Ailleurs

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 8, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
Seems like the committee letter is preferred unfortunately :(

DoctorLacrosse

7+ Year Member
Jan 18, 2012
The Intrawebz
Status
Medical Student
whether required or not, I have heard that MANY schools say "preferred", but if you don't have one with a great excuse for not having it, it can end up being a major red flag. I don't think we should have to be put in a situation where we have to decide whether to wait 5 months for a letter, or roll the dice with thousands of dollars on the line and hope the schools we apply to won't mind.

IslandStyle808

Akuma residency or bust!
7+ Year Member
Aug 5, 2012
I believe PCOM JUST changed it this year. They used to absolutely require a committee letter, but now, they just PREFER it.
Sounds like good news I should try my luck with PCOM as soon as I see my MCAT.

Ailleurs

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 8, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
whether required or not, I have heard that MANY schools say "preferred", but if you don't have one with a great excuse for not having it, it can end up being a major red flag. I don't think we should have to be put in a situation where we have to decide whether to wait 5 months for a letter, or roll the dice with thousands of dollars on the line and hope the schools we apply to won't mind.
Although I understand why it is preferred (advisers have been in the game for many years, so they can for the most part tell which students are better fit than others), it might be detrimental to non-trads/those going pre-DO since my undergrad adviser is extremely biased AGAINST anybody with lower than a 3.4 undergraduate GPA, despite the generous grade replacement policy (for the pre-DO students).

IslandStyle808

Akuma residency or bust!
7+ Year Member
Aug 5, 2012
Although I understand why it is preferred (advisers have been in the game for many years, so they can for the most part tell which students are better fit than others), it might be detrimental to non-trads/those going pre-DO since my undergrad adviser is extremely biased AGAINST anybody with lower than a 3.4 undergraduate GPA, despite the generous grade replacement policy (for the pre-DO students).
Although, I do concur with with most your post. However, using non-MD/DO health advisors that have not been regularly on admissions committees is a very bad idea. They really don't have a clue as to who has what it takes to make it into medical school. As you have mentioned with non-trads, they may have had a bad GPA in the past and sometimes health advisor may not see past this. This is why these committee letters are rather pointless and I could never see the wisdom in medical schools trusting such a letter. It feels more like a weeder tool than a true assessment of the student's capabilities.

Ailleurs

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 8, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
Although, I do concur with with most your post. However, using non-MD/DO health advisors that have not been regularly on admissions committees is a very bad idea. They really don't have a clue as to who has what it takes to make it into medical school. As you have mentioned with non-trads, they may have had a bad GPA in the past and sometimes health advisor may not see past this. This is why these committee letters are rather pointless and I could never see the wisdom in medical schools trusting such a letter. It feels more like a weeder tool than a true assessment of the student's capabilities.
I agree with you 100% Except that I would never use a non-MD/DO health advisor..but rather interfolio! Or I don't know... maybe just grow a pair and get them to like me in some way or form. I guess going to them repeatedly over and over, they'd have to give in eventually...if at least for my tenacity. lol

IslandStyle808

Akuma residency or bust!
7+ Year Member
Aug 5, 2012
I agree with you 100% Except that I would never use a non-MD/DO health advisor..but rather interfolio! Or I don't know... maybe just grow a pair and get them to like me in some way or form. I guess going to them repeatedly over and over, they'd have to give in eventually...if at least for my tenacity. lol
If you can get them to like you, it will be a win for you. You can ask you professors to both up load it to interfolio and send it to your pre-med committee. This way you can cover your bets, if the pre-med committee does not work out. ;)

DoctorLacrosse

7+ Year Member
Jan 18, 2012
The Intrawebz
Status
Medical Student
If you can get them to like you, it will be a win for you. You can ask you professors to both up load it to interfolio and send it to your pre-med committee. This way you can cover your bets, if the pre-med committee does not work out. ;)
what I wish I'd done. lol