smurf528

10+ Year Member
Nov 14, 2008
Florida
Status
Pre-Dental
I just finished my 1st DAT exam today and I did awful. And when I say awful, I mean AWFUL. I got right on average and a few under average for the sections.

I know with my low scores and 3.4gpa I am going to need a retake. So is an October 22nd retake too late?

Last edited:
OP
smurf528

smurf528

10+ Year Member
Nov 14, 2008
Florida
Status
Pre-Dental
By the way this is my breakdown...please don't laugh.

PAT- 18
QR- 15 (NOT ENOUGH TIME)
RC- 19 (a lot lower than my TopScore scores, not happy)
Bio- 15 (!!!!!!)
GC- 16
Ochem- 17
TS- 16 :(((
AA- 16 :(((

Dent010

5+ Year Member
Apr 19, 2009
Status
Dental Student
Let me put it this way. have you already applied? You can retake your exam in October but realize that chances will decrease significantly. Nevertheless, you WILL need to take the exam again. If you take it in October and don't get in this year, you will still have new scores to apply EARLY with next cycle. I would recommended really cramming a bit harder this time around, and do better on your re-take. It will put you in a much better position for next year if you do not succeed this cycle. Best of luck.

sfrice80

Blood, Sweat, and Beers
Jun 11, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
Status
Dental Student
Thats really your only option at this point, study differently and harder this time, but I dont need to tell you that. If you smoke it the 2nd time around, you may do just fine this cycle. You'll be a late applicant, which is definitely to your disadvantage but thats the cards you've been dealt so re-take and fax those scores to the schools immediately afterwards and hope for the best. Good Luck!

May 15, 2009
CA
Status
Dental Student
I just finished my 1st DAT exam today and I did awful. And when I say awful, I mean AWFUL. I got right on average and a few under average for the sections.

I know with my low scores and 3.4gpa I am going to need a retake. So is an October 22nd retake too late?
It's somewhat late. But like others mentioned that's your only option. Nevertheless, you should keep in mind that even if you don't get in this cycle, if you manage to score well on your retake, those scores will pass over to the next cycle.
Take a week off studying, clear your mind, and start fresh.

Good luck:thumbup:

OP
smurf528

smurf528

10+ Year Member
Nov 14, 2008
Florida
Status
Pre-Dental
will the score be averaged in with my first trial? Or will they be two separate tests? Also, what score do you all think I will need the second time to have a chance for the 2010 cycle?

May 15, 2009
CA
Status
Dental Student
will the score be averaged in with my first trial? Or will they be two separate tests? Also, what score do you all think I will need the second time to have a chance for the 2010 cycle?
Some schools will consider your highest scores, some will look for improvements, and some may average your scores. In general, however, if you score 20+ on your retake, most schools won't even consider these low scores.

OP
smurf528

smurf528

10+ Year Member
Nov 14, 2008
Florida
Status
Pre-Dental
So these scores will be sent since I already submitted my application. should I call schools up and tell that I am planning on retaking the DAT?

May 15, 2009
CA
Status
Dental Student
So these scores will be sent since I already submitted my application. should I call schools up and tell that I am planning on retaking the DAT?
They would've been sent even if you didn't submit your application. When you registered for the DAT you choose a list of schools, to which ADA will send your scores after your test.
You could call them and tell them that you're retaking the exam, or you could simply go to your AADSAS application and specify a date for your future DAT.

tsitneD

10+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2009
TX
Status
Pre-Dental
evaluate your study method. Read others breakdown for comparison. I will recommend you to aim for TS:24 AA: 22+, maybe higher and these are possible but looking at your 16s its a long way. So buckle down and spent many hours. Get right materials for study and in few months you ll be ready to fight DAT. stay focus and calm.

Good luck!

OP
smurf528

smurf528

10+ Year Member
Nov 14, 2008
Florida
Status
Pre-Dental
24AA?!?! I don't know if that is possible from what I got. I was so nervous before taking it and the timing is what hurt me the most. I thought I would score high on PAT and QR, so I'm a bit unhappy with those scores. I can't believe the 15 in bio, and the 17 in ochem either. So basically there is no chance that I will be able to get in for 2010....

Jun 19, 2009
Status
Whoa? 24TS? I disagree...

With a 3.4gpa and a 20AA/TS the OP has a good shot at schools like USC, Boston, etc.

If the OP is an URM, a 16 AA and a 3.4gpa has a decent shot at howard or meharry.

May 15, 2009
CA
Status
Dental Student
24AA?!?! I don't know if that is possible from what I got. I was so nervous before taking it and the timing is what hurt me the most. I thought I would score high on PAT and QR, so I'm a bit unhappy with those scores. I can't believe the 15 in bio, and the 17 in ochem either. So basically there is no chance that I will be able to get in for 2010....
You definitely don't need a TS:24 and/or AA:22+ to get in. Do 19+ and you'll have a decent chance of getting accepted.
Seriously, falling behind 1 year isn't that big of a deal. I didn't get in last year! Was I disappointed? Sure!
Did I manage to improve my scores? Yes!
Honestly, I learned soooo much over the course of last year both about dental schools and this entire process that I hardly consider it a loss.
Just relax, take your time, and take the DAT when you're ready.
I'm sure you'll do fine next time.

OP
smurf528

smurf528

10+ Year Member
Nov 14, 2008
Florida
Status
Pre-Dental
I studied for about 2 months while taking classes during the Spring/Summer. I believe I went over everything, or at least the majority of it. I spent hours studying and going over material. All the questions seemed pretty random. I think that nerves got the best of me, for the most part.

Sixkiller: I'm not an URM. I applied to UF & Nova (my state schools), NYU, Tufts, BU, Temple, Case, Marquette, Columbia (I don't know what I was thinking), and Maryland.

tsitneD

10+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2009
TX
Status
Pre-Dental
evaluate your study method. Read others breakdown for comparison. I will recommend you to aim for TS:24 AA: 22+, maybe higher and these are possible but looking at your 16s its a long way. So buckle down and spent many hours. Get right materials for study and in few months you ll be ready to fight DAT. stay focus and calm.

Good luck!
i wrote that regardless of his/her gpa and stats. It is not the score he need to get in but aim should be high.

May 13, 2009
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
I studied for about 2 months while taking classes during the Spring/Summer. I believe I went over everything, or at least the majority of it. I spent hours studying and going over material. All the questions seemed pretty random. I think that nerves got the best of me, for the most part.

Sixkiller: I'm not an URM. I applied to UF & Nova (my state schools), NYU, Tufts, BU, Temple, Case, Marquette, Columbia (I don't know what I was thinking), and Maryland.
Do u feel u knew the material well? When u were taking the test, did a lot of the questions seem foreign and different from what u studied?

You studied for 2 months, so I'm wondering what happened.

Jun 8, 2009
Status
Dont worry, its still ok. I was in the same boat last year when i took teh DAT the first time and didnt do well in it. My AA was 17. so just a point more than yours. But i made another mistake....i gave up for that cycle right then and though i will take the DAT again for the next cycle. And guess what...a few schools contacted me and said they would consider me if i retake the DAT before May. They called me around march/april.

If only i had done the retake, even by january I would have had some sort of a chance. I blew it and it was my mistake. Dont wait for the next cycle. take the Dat again asap. Yeah as someone suggested take a week off or so to relax. But jump right back on coz the material is still very fresh in your head. Now I am studying again and it is pretty much studying from scratch, if i had done it right after my 1st try it probably wouldn't even have taken so long. Think of it as just a practice test gone bad and that you are still continuing your preparation. Pick up where you left off and do lots of timed tests. Time everything. :)

OP
smurf528

smurf528

10+ Year Member
Nov 14, 2008
Florida
Status
Pre-Dental
Do u feel u knew the material well? When u were taking the test, did a lot of the questions seem foreign and different from what u studied?

You studied for 2 months, so I'm wondering what happened.
Well, I thought I did. I thought I got more than a score of 15 on the bio right. I hesitated more on the chem section. I had the QR and RC down but I don't know why I scored so low. I averaged an AA of 19-20 on TopScore.

Dont worry, its still ok. I was in the same boat last year when i took teh DAT the first time and didnt do well in it. My AA was 17. so just a point more than yours. But i made another mistake....i gave up for that cycle right then and though i will take the DAT again for the next cycle. And guess what...a few schools contacted me and said they would consider me if i retake the DAT before May. They called me around march/april.

If only i had done the retake, even by january I would have had some sort of a chance. I blew it and it was my mistake. Dont wait for the next cycle. take the Dat again asap. Yeah as someone suggested take a week off or so to relax. But jump right back on coz the material is still very fresh in your head. Now I am studying again and it is pretty much studying from scratch, if i had done it right after my 1st try it probably wouldn't even have taken so long. Think of it as just a practice test gone bad and that you are still continuing your preparation. Pick up where you left off and do lots of timed tests. Time everything. :)
Well, what was your GPA? And can I apply to take the DAT again today if I just took it? I know that there is a 3 month wait.