my ideal med school location

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

musiclink213

My room is a mess
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was thinking, i know exactly where i want my med school to be. I want to have a mountain that i can go skiing on no more than 20 min drive, an ice rink for skating no more than a 30 minute drive, and i want to be smack dab in the middle of a large bustling city. Does such a med school exist? is there such a place?

Members don't see this ad.

The University of Colorado has skiing as close as an hour away and world class skiing 1.5-2 hrs away. The city of Denver is not the most happening place, but it is on the list of top ten up-and-coming cities to live and I'm sure that there is an ice rink somewhere (they love their hockey there). Only drawback is the some 60K a year tuition for out of staters. Fortunately I'm a resident, so hopefully I'll be there in August...

I live in Portland and will likely be attending OHSU this fall, we have skiing within an hour (I don't ski so I'm not sure exactly how far away the mountains are, isn't that sad?) and a couple of indoor ice rinks, one in the city and one a little outside of it. Also, the beach is only 1.5 hours away. There's lots of nice outdoorsy stuff here in Oregon if that's what you're into.

Members don't see this ad :)
musiclink213 said:
I was thinking, i know exactly where i want my med school to be. I want to have a mountain that i can go skiing on no more than 20 min drive, an ice rink for skating no more than a 30 minute drive, and i want to be smack dab in the middle of a large bustling city. Does such a med school exist? is there such a place?
Seattle has skiing 30-45 minutes away (depending on how fast you drive).

What about UVM? Skiing shouldn't be more than 1 hour away, I'm sure they have an ice rink somewhere close...although i think its missing the "big city" feel to it.....

Maybe the Boston schools fit this description. You can go skiing at hills an hour away or mountains 2+ hours away. There are ice rinks all over the place. Plus, the city is pretty sweet and it's on the ocean.

musiclink213 said:

Skiing - 1.5 hrs (Mtn. High)
Beach - 5 min walk
Ice rink - 20 min drive
Busy city - Westwood, Santa Monica, Beverly Hills, Brentwood, Bel-Air
PLUS and undergrad campus (that's a BIG PLUS)