My Interview With AMCAS Web Engineer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rxfudd

1K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently had the opportunity to interview the head web engineer at AMCAS, the person responsible for creating the web-based AMCAS application, on the direction he thinks AMCAS will go in during and after this year. Read on:

Me: Thank you for meeting with me today. I have to ask, how did you get the idea for the web-based AMCAS application?

AMCAS: I bang my head on walls sometimes to come up with new ideas. Other than that, nothing new.

Me: I see. Does that explain the excessive problems you have been experiencing that have caused most applicants to multiply their normal level of paranoia by a factor of 1000 and will likely result in miles of red tape and lawsuits?

AMAS: Yes.

Me: Great, just great. So what were the main motivating factors for using a web-based application instead of paper-based?

AMCAS: Before the web application, we didn't get a lot of email around here. People were able to verify their application through a website and we only got email from our families and a rare piece of junk mail. Really, it got sort of lonely sometimes. So we decided to put up the web application and to remove the verification site. As a result, we have received multiple emails from over 36,000 people. It makes us really happy...

Me: Okaaaay...But that still doesn't explain why you didn't implement the simultaneous use of a paper-based application.

AMCAS: Wow, there's no paper-based application right now? At all?

Me: Uhhh. No. Shouldn't you know this?

AMCAS: Well, to be honest with you, I just pretend that I'm working on new things and they keep giving me promotions. I didn't even touch the application until I decided to put red X's over the buttons on the application screen.

Me: Have you even seen the web-based application?

AMCAS: No. But if you give me the URL, I'd be interested in seeing what we've done with it.

Me: Uh huh. So...what are your future plans for the application system?

AMCAS: Hold on [bangs head against wall]. Next year, I plan on continuing the tradition of the AMCAS application with new technology that will require applicants to send in their application on Etch-A-Sketch boards. I love those things. I'm not quite sure how applicants will be able to send them in to us, but I'm seriously considering using trained pigeons that will be able to transport the Etch-A-Sketches through a complex, yet precise carrier system. [bangs head on wall again] I am also contemplating the feasability of changing the entire application from a web-based system using letters to a parchment-based system using braille.

Me: Ummm...I think we'll cut this interview short before everyone realizes the truth about your...uh...genious. Thanks for the interview.

AMCAS: Sure thing. Hey...would you email me sometime?

Me: Uh. Ok...

Members don't see this ad.

rxfudd!! you genius!!
Laughed my head off!

Mossjoh

That was hillarious. I'm sure a real coverstaion would go pretty similarly...

Members don't see this ad :)
You are too funny rxfudd! :D LOL. Let me guess, you had to wait 17 hrs. 37 min. for that insightful interview, right? :D

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Whew. That's good stuff.

Awesome. Thanks for the giggle followed by the outright laugh--I needed it, baby!

Rxfudd, you silly kid, you! Heehee. That was fun!

that was well done. Sounds like a good SNL skit..
sad part is, it's so late that it took me until 'bang my head' to figure out it was fictional.

me @ 2am = gullible

Originally posted by USeF the Bull:

sad part is, it's so late that it took me until 'bang my head' to figure out it was fictional.•

Who said it was fictional? :D

If they are in fact, called engineers, I find that title highly dubious considering their utter failure to use basic engineering principles in their software design.

Man that was hilarious! You are wonderful...couldn't stop laughing! :cool: