durak

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 9, 2004
Status
No joke - the guy was an older foreign fellow that could barely string a complete sentence together in English. He had a paper from the University with some questions on it, and he just read them from top to bottom. I would answer the question (making sure not to talk too fast or use words he may not understand), and he would write something down. Then he would repeat back to me what he said to make sure he understood correctly. Not such a bad thing, I suppose, but he just couldn't keep things straight. Ex:

Interviewer: When you come here to this state?

Me: I was born in Texas, but moved here 15 years ago.

Interviewer: So you born here and move to Texas 15 year ago?

Imagine 1 hour of this type of laborious conversation. I left the interview not having any clue how much he really understood. Nothign against the guy - he was very nice and I respect his position at the university. Just thought it's a little odd that they would leave such an important factor in the process up to chance. I hate to think that my eventual acceptance/rejection rests on how well some old guy understands English.

Anyone else have a similar experience?

futuredoc10

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 15, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
It was a ploy to see how well you handle stressfull and novel situations. The real interviewer was behind the one-way mirror.

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
futuredoc10 said:
It was a ploy to see how well you handle stressfull and novel situations. The real interviewer was behind the one-way mirror.
That was my initial reaction too when reading this post -- that he was just messing with you...

fun8stuff

*hiding from patients*
15+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2003
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
My friend had the same thing happen to him! The guy was also wearing a a yellow suite jacket with brown pants and no socks. THe pants were too short so when he would cross his legs, it really stood out. Needless to say, he had a hard time paying attention and was waitlisted.

sdnstud

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2003
Visit site
Status
What school was this?

durak said:
No joke - the guy was an older foreign fellow that could barely string a complete sentence together in English. He had a paper from the University with some questions on it, and he just read them from top to bottom. I would answer the question (making sure not to talk too fast or use words he may not understand), and he would write something down. Then he would repeat back to me what he said to make sure he understood correctly. Not such a bad thing, I suppose, but he just couldn't keep things straight. Ex:

Imagine 1 hour of this type of laborious conversation. I left the interview not having any clue how much he really understood. Nothign against the guy - he was very nice and I respect his position at the university. Just thought it's a little odd that they would leave such an important factor in the process up to chance. I hate to think that my eventual acceptance/rejection rests on how well some old guy understands English.

freaker

10+ Year Member
Apr 17, 2004
Status
I had a similar experience, as well. The guy understood English but not very well. Very polite, very nice, but I really had to work it to make sure he was understanding what I was saying and not fouling everything up.

Newman8r

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Sep 1, 2004
paradise
Status
freaker said:
I had a similar experience, as well. The guy understood English but not very well. Very polite, very nice, but I really had to work it to make sure he was understanding what I was saying and not fouling everything up.

Interviewer: "How much time spend you studying?"
You: "I study quite often, I try to finish things early if possible"
Interviewer writes down "I study high often, otherwise its really impossible"

civic4982

FM => Geri
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2003
Where "The stars at night, Are big and bright"
Status
Resident [Any Field]
durak said:

What you say? I no understand...