My Last Stop. Please Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

puflala

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is my first time posting and hence my first time joining. I was filling out my AMCAS 2007 and I had problems with schools. So I went to google n during my search this site came up. I have read lots of posting since 10pm till 8am. They were very helpful. This is my question. I will be a senior next yr. I'm a double major in Biology and Chemistry. I would graduate in 4 yrs. I started out very well. My first yr with 4.0s and my sophomore I got a Bs in Cell Bio n Organic I and a C in Organic 2 cuz I joined a fraternity during that year and it took sometime. I had A's and B's in all my Classes. My Junior year was when disaster struck. I got a C in Physics 1 and C in Physics 2. Same prof. I think I don get his style of teaching but my school is bad that I don have any other options but to take him. My GPA has gone from 3.77 from my sophomore year to 3.57 end of my junior yr cuz physics is 4 credits. I have interned at Yale, UPENN, n this summer UMICH doing research and I have won awards for prensenting my work at several conferences n symposiums (simple put, my EC is great, I play Tennis for the school n do hold several organizational offices). I have registered for the Kaplan MCAT class as well this summer. But since Physics is a requirement for med school. I have registered to take Physics 1 n 2 over my senior yr cuz i have some free time. MY QUESTION IS. IS IT WORTH REPEATING THE TWO CLASSES OVER and how would that look on my transcript? Also is going from first yr of 4.0 to 3.91 to 3.77, to 3.64, to 3.57 an indication of inconsistence n hence not capable of challenge? I have 3 C's on my transcripts which are requirements(orgo II, Physics I n II). I still have some level 400 bio classes (ie. Pharmacology, Histology,n Cell Morphogenesis as well as Inorganic CHem) to take. Please help. Do I have a chance with those C's n the trend in GPA's? My LORs will be great cuz my mentors wrote some for me for applying to other summer internships so I know they will write good ones. I NEED HELP. Thanks to everyone in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

puflala said:
This is my first time posting and hence my first time joining. I was filling out my AMCAS 2007 and I had problems with schools. So I went to google n during my search this site came up. I have read lots of posting since 10pm till 8am. They were very helpful. This is my question. I will be a senior next yr. I'm a double major in Biology and Chemistry. I would graduate in 4 yrs. I started out very well. My first yr with 4.0s and my sophomore I got a Bs in Cell Bio n Organic I and a C in Organic 2 cuz I joined a fraternity during that year and it took sometime. I had A's and B's in all my Classes. My Junior year was when disaster struck. I got a C in Physics 1 and C in Physics 2. Same prof. I think I don get his style of teaching but my school is bad that I don have any other options but to take him. My GPA has gone from 3.77 from my sophomore year to 3.57 end of my junior yr cuz physics is 4 credits. I have interned at Yale, UPENN, n this summer UMICH doing research and I have won awards for prensenting my work at several conferences n symposiums (simple put, my EC is great, I play Tennis for the school n do hold several organizational offices). I have registered for the Kaplan MCAT class as well this summer. But since Physics is a requirement for med school. I have registered to take Physics 1 n 2 over my senior yr cuz i have some free time. MY QUESTION IS. IS IT WORTH REPEATING THE TWO CLASSES OVER and how would that look on my transcript? Also is going from first yr of 4.0 to 3.91 to 3.77, to 3.64, to 3.57 an indication of inconsistence n hence not capable of challenge? I have 3 C's on my transcripts which are requirements(orgo II, Physics I n II). I still have some level 400 bio classes (ie. Pharmacology, Histology,n Cell Morphogenesis as well as Inorganic CHem) to take. Please help. Do I have a chance with those C's n the trend in GPA's? My LORs will be great cuz my mentors wrote some for me for applying to other summer internships so I know they will write good ones. I NEED HELP. Thanks to everyone in advance.

Well, you do have some things in your app that won't help you, but you've got some stuff that will. But taking the August MCAT won't do you any favors for the 2007 cycle. If you want to toss an application into the pot, go ahead, but it's going to be a rough haul unless you get a really great MCAT score.

You might want to go ahead and take the next year, retake your weakest classes, show an upward trend in your GPA. Get some good clinical exposure and then go into the 2008 cycle ready to nail it. I've had this past year as a doing something similar, and it wasn't as bad as I would have expected, you can actually learn a lot.

puflala said:

hey there. i don't think your chances are horrible, i think you could get into at least one school if you applied to some less prestigious ones, but i also agree that it would be fairly easy to really bring up the quality of your application by taking that extra year. while it isn't necessarily necessary to take more advanced bio classes before applying, it would be good to retake those physics classes and maybe even orgo II (because that is slightly more important than physics, in terms of being able to handle the material in med school). i don't think it would look bad at all that you had to retake them, especially if you do much better in them. it wouldn't look so good if you retook them and just got the same scores. and yea, definitely work hard this summer and ace the MCAT in august, and then maybe study even harder next year and take it again in april. that way you won't have the added disadvantage of being an august MCATer. if you do all this, your application will be awesome, seriously, and you'll be a competitive applicant at some pretty top tier schools, because of the fantastic LORs and ECs. those seem to matter a lot these days, and i'm not exaggerating. make sure your essays are astounding, too, and you will get in.