my life is over...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anxietypeaker

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
as far as in medicine its over i feel. I'm getting a B and a C+ in my bio 1 and lab class respectively. And i dont htink i can bring them up. Im so f*ing tired of this. No matter what im sucking at my grades. My sci and nonsci gpa are high enough that i dont think its right to abandon all hope and im still a sophomore. But what the f*ck. I dont know what to do. I cant handle this stress. Are the upperdivision classes for the integrative biology courses easier in berkeley? anyone know. It seems like this is always what happens every semester. I get freak after the Midterms cuz im doing badly. once i get my bad grade i die down. which still means though i wont get into med school. anyone feel how i do? please realize id like people without stellar grades to respond (people who want to get into ANY just ONE med school). For the question for everyone...anyone know what a person should do after not getting into med school the first time (assuming you plan on reapplying to MD schools only). What are the chances for reapplicants? Do postbaccs progs (to increase your numbers, not complete premed courses) really effective? Which ones are good? I dont see anyway ill get into med school this way the first time around, let alone ever.

Members don't see this ad.

You life is not over! Getting a C and a B will not kill your application. You're still a sophomore so you still have 2 more semesters to bring your grade up. If you can improve next semester, it will be even better because medschool like to see an upward trend in your grade. Everyone has a bad semester. Do not feel dejected! Just try your best to finish out the semester. Trust me, this will not hurt you as much as you think. I know you're probably freaking out right now but try your best to regain your strength and keep heading forward. Good luck!

anxietypeaker said:
I'm getting a B and a C+ in my bio 1 and lab class respectively. And i dont htink i can bring them up. Im so f*ing tired of this. No matter what im sucking at my grades. My sci and nonsci gpa are high enough that i dont think its right to abandon all hope and im still a sophomore. But what the f*ck. I dont know what to do. I cant handle this stress. Are the upperdivision classes for the integrative biology courses easier in berkeley? anyone know. It seems like this is always what happens every semester. I get freak after the Midterms cuz im doing badly. once i get my bad grade i die down. which still means though i wont get into med school. anyone feel how i do? please realize id like people without stellar grades to respond (people who want to get into ANY just ONE med school). For the question for everyone...anyone know what a person should do after not getting into med school the first time (assuming you plan on reapplying to MD schools only). What are the chances for reapplicants? Do postbaccs progs (to increase your numbers, not complete premed courses) really effective? Which ones are good? I dont see anyway ill get into med school this way the first time around, let alone ever.

hah! from the first sentence even before you mentioned berkeley i began to speculate whether or not you were taking bio 1a. im a 3rd year at berkeley whose just finishing up premed (currently taking mcb 102 which is my last prereq). all i have to say is: relax. the standardization at the can only work in your favor (especially if your gsi is more difficult than average). the only thing you can really do at this point is try your hardest and hope for the best but trust me, it wont end up as bad as you think. i thought i was pretty screwed after the lab final because i couldve swore i missed at least 50% of the questions. the lab manual in general is pretty bad. my suggestion to you is to just memorize similarities and differences between species/phylum.

in my opinion, they are a bit easier because theres not so much of a selective pressure anymore. in general i think most upper div science courses are a little bit easier than the survey lowerdivs.

if you want to talk more, PM me and ill give you my aim/email.

Members don't see this ad :)
anxietypeaker said:
as far as in medicine its over i feel. I'm getting a B and a C+ in my bio 1 and lab class respectively. And i dont htink i can bring them up. Im so f*ing tired of this. No matter what im sucking at my grades. My sci and nonsci gpa are high enough that i dont think its right to abandon all hope and im still a sophomore. But what the f*ck. I dont know what to do. I cant handle this stress. Are the upperdivision classes for the integrative biology courses easier in berkeley? anyone know. It seems like this is always what happens every semester. I get freak after the Midterms cuz im doing badly. once i get my bad grade i die down. which still means though i wont get into med school. anyone feel how i do? please realize id like people without stellar grades to respond (people who want to get into ANY just ONE med school). For the question for everyone...anyone know what a person should do after not getting into med school the first time (assuming you plan on reapplying to MD schools only). What are the chances for reapplicants? Do postbaccs progs (to increase your numbers, not complete premed courses) really effective? Which ones are good? I dont see anyway ill get into med school this way the first time around, let alone ever.

Um. C's are fine. Everyone that's anyone has C's.

If you don't make at least one C in college, then you probably have no personality and would get rejected based on your interview.

OSUdoc08 said:

If you don't make at least one C in college, then you probably have no personality and would get rejected based on your interview.

:laugh:

Seriously, OP, relax. One semester I got a C+ (cal 1) and a B (phys). Do better on the subsequent classes (A+ in cal 2 baby!) and you will still wind up with a decent GPA. I suspect that not obsessing about med school helps you get into med school (meaning I'm sunk). :smuggrin:

A bad semester (even two bad semesters) is not the end of the world. Even if you graduate with a low GPA, there's always post-bacc. If you really want this, and don't need it to fall in your lap "just the way you want it", you can get it.

Stop visiting SDN and hit the books son! Have a tutor, TA, professor help you out to see what the misunderstanding is all about...

IT'S NOT ESSENTIALLY OVER JUST YET!!

Maybe if you start concentrating on learning the material, then you wouldn't have much as much trouble getting a good grade. If you are getting an F in the class and learning compared to an A and just pure memorization (short-term memory), I would rather get an F...I rather learn than make the grades!! even though grades are big issue, they don't make a difference when you're only in a class for the learning experience...

OSUdoc08 said:
lol...OSU your posts rock man! :laugh:

I'm a berkeley grad so I feel for you. Bio 1A is one badass class and that class cordinator Mike Meighan is one dingus. From my experience, I think you'll do better in upper division class, especially if your'e in IB.

pacboy said:
I'm a berkeley grad so I feel for you. Bio 1A is one badass class and that class cordinator Mike Meighan is one dingus. From my experience, I think you'll do better in upper division class, especially if your'e in IB.

It's the same at SC. I had two years of straight A's in upper division history and psych classes and then barely earned a B in my intro Bio. I would need a whole essay to describe all the ways in which that class was completely unfair and subjectively graded in almost every respect...so i'll spare the details. I've done fine grade-wise ever since.

I can instantly help you.

About half of my grades are C's and the rest are B's. Out of 3 years of community college I have 1, yes, ONE A and even that was in Beginning Guitar because I knew how to play going in. That having been said, I do have a reason for these circumstances but what I'm trying to say is that it definitely is nowhere near being over for you. I am doing decently this semester and hope to transfer to a university in another year and then apply and get accepted to medical school. I'm confident I'll get in. Please, don't let a few C's get you down, think of people like me and how you'll be higher up the GPA ladder than me. That having been said, I bet I can get higher than you next semester! (something I say to myself fruitlessly semester after semester).

I'm pretty sure the path to medicine will involve moments more stressful then a getting a few low grades. Personally I'm more worried that I'm going to spend my entire life in a text book then the extra year or two it could take me to show my dedication to being a doctor.

On a side note i didn't see how bainsstatic's comment helped at all .....
Your suppose to set goals against yourself, not against other students. Besides, I think it would only help matters if you said "and then I got into harvard medical ...."

Members don't see this ad :)
anxietypeaker said:

While everyone on this board (myself included) is going to tell you to relax and that a C+ is not the end of the world, one thing you might consider is that some people become better science students a few years down the road when their discipline and study skills improve. A lot of people who were doing well in high school get floored in college when their old high school methods no longer work and more focus and effort is required, and this is especially so in the sciences, which require more conceptual understanding and practice and less finesse than some of the other majors. Try to find subjects or a major that you excel at, and pack in another prereq along with those. If you still find yourself stuggling, don't dig yourself an insurmountable hole -- stop taking the prereqs and concentrate on your major, and try to get out of college with a decent GPA. Sometime after college you can always pick up the prereqs in a postbac, when your study skills and focus are better. The key is not to make yourself a string of Cs in the prereqs, as that makes med school an unlikely dream -- better to take courses later than to take them fast for poor grades. But no, one C is not abnormal and wont kill you. Many postbacs have great track records for getting people to med school, if you need to get to that stage, but you tend to get into the more formal ones only if you haven't taken most of the prereqs already and have a decent undergrad GPA. Thus if it looks after another course or so, like you won't be doing great in the prereqs, it may pay to bail on sciences while in undergrad and focus on whatever major rises your GPA.
Hope that helps.

First, you're life is NOT over. lol

Also, if the anxiety is truly that bad for you, it may be good to get some help for it. I'm not being condesenging at all. But, there are many ways to address that issue, and it seems you may benefit from them.

P.S. No, I don't want to do psychiatry...

Let's just say that in college, my motto was "B is for Biology and C is for Chemistry!"

I made it out alive with a 2.95 BCPM and a 3.4 overall. Now I have one acceptance under my belt and 2 waitlists at top 10 schools. At least you realize right now that you need to try to do better. I didn't know my grades were a problem until I left college.

You go to a hard school, just because you're getting Bs and Cs, doesn't mean you're not learning anything. (haha, try to tell my WashU MCAT students that I was a straight-C student in chemistry will make them **** a brick) Your medical life is far from over. You've just sort of landed in a pothole, but you can climb out. If you're really feeling down and in despair, it might not be a bad idea to seek some counseling at school. Also use all possible resources at school to improve your study habits. In retrospect, I just didn't know how to study in college and I had too much pride to ask for help. It's a common symptom when students are used to getting straight A's in high school.

good luck, and you've got a lot of time!!!

I was an IB major. The upper div classes in a sense are easier because you get to pick exactly what you want to take. You have the possibility to love your classes and not have to worry about the lower div stuff that we are all required to take for premed. You're life is not over.

OSUdoc08 said:

Because clearly 0 C's = dork, and 1 C = totally awesome. I mean, yeah...

Seriously, show me a correlation between C's and being social. I know plently of people with no C's who were unbelievably social, and vice versa.

HMSNeuro said:

Seriously, show me a correlation between C's and being social. I know plently of people with no C's who were unbelievably social, and vice versa.
It's a joke, dude. Let's all spell it together now: J O K E.

I should probably point out that that was a joke too. I don't actually intend for you to spell the word joke out loud. :rolleyes:

You go to Berkeley add another .1-.3 points to your gpa :)
You're also gonna be well-prepared for the MCAT i think, so if you study for it pretty hard over the summer you can more then make up for your "Bad" gpa. btw what is your gpa?

Oh yeah, i never realized this but does Berkeley have a med. school? I think it does...but i am having amnesia.

masterMood said:
Oh yeah, i never realized this but does Berkeley have a med. school? I think it does...but i am having amnesia.
Not directly. Only UCSF.

masterMood said:
Oh yeah, i never realized this but does Berkeley have a med. school? I think it does...
yeah, they have an informal affliation with princeton and MIT.

jebus said:
yeah, they have an informal affliation with princeton and MIT.
gee i wonder if that was a coincidence :). I know that princeton and mit don't have med. schools (ironic isn't it?).

cfdavid said:
First, you're life is NOT over. lol

Also, if the anxiety is truly that bad for you, it may be good to get some help for it. I'm not being condesenging at all. But, there are many ways to address that issue, and it seems you may benefit from them.

P.S. No, I don't want to do psychiatry...

dude, stop being so condesenging!

anxietypeaker said:
as far as in medicine its over i feel. I'm getting a B and a C+ in my bio 1 and lab class respectively. And i dont htink i can bring them up. Im so f*ing tired of this...... Which ones are good? I dont see anyway ill get into med school this way the first time around, let alone ever.

Now now, don't fret. No seriously, you are fine. What are you doing to compliment your gpa and your MCAT scores? Are you volunteering? Are you working? What else is going on? From my expirience (and that is getting to the interview level at all of the schools I've applied to, and then being accepted) your gpa isn't as important in some ways as the combination of your MCAT scores and what you have been doing with your time. If you are just sitting at home with your head in your books, then you are right, that doesn't present a pretty picture. But have you been involved? Applying to medical school isn't all about numbers and scores, it's also about the type of person you are.
Keep your head up! Work hard on your next assignments and exams and figure out a way to stay ahead. Also, take part in activities if you haven't already, and utilize college as not only a place to get an education, but a place to learn about yourself and to show that you are more than just a brain.

Well, I hope I've helped,

:) Out.

dude get out of your room and quit studying, saying your life is over after a B is ridiculous

go work out or ask one of your girl friends out or something....anything

ok, i'll let my stats speak for themselves...

i had 6 C's on my transcript, all in the first half of college, and most of these were in hard sciences including Bio and OChem. I've gotten accepted by 3 med schools, waitlisted at 2, and just interviewed at a top 10 school. So, your life is most definitely not over, especially since you still have plenty of time to make up for your mistakes. but only if you work for it. i worked my ass off junior and senior year and pulled my gpa up to a 3.4 overall, 3.3 BCPM. so if you're able to make a significant improvement in your grades from here on out that will definitely make a difference. med schools will recognize your upward trend. and the berkeley name will help you for sure.

thankfully though, most med schools care about more than numbers so if i were you i'd try to make up for your nonstellar grades by extracurricular achievements, i.e. research or leadership. and you probably haven't taken the mcat yet so i would put a lot of effort into doing well on that (a great mcat score will overshadow a subpar gpa). i'd also recommend waiting to apply until after you graduate - that way you'll have your senior year to keep improving those grades. i didn't go to berkeley, but from my experience upper div bio courses are usually more manageable so don't despair.

good luck. i have a feeling you'll be just fine.

In response to what ive been doing out of books...shadowing, research, clinical experience as a volunteer in the ER. These are nothing special and seem more the prereq almost, at least for mediocre students like myself.

ahumdinger said:
Let's just say that in college, my motto was "B is for Biology and C is for Chemistry!"

Haha I love it!

Berkeley rocks at ruining our GPAs... i hope med schools know this!!! i feel your pain... i just screwed myself over last semester by overcommiting socially and academically... 18 units.. leadership positions in student orgs... 12 hours of lab time a week... volunteering... etc etc etc... i think everything will be ok :D :luck:

HMSNeuro said:

Sorry dude, this doesn't count as "unbelievably social":

0330.jpg

anxietypeaker said:

GW Bush got C's and D's who craptacular GPA was only out done by John Kerry! and look, these guys are great :rolleyes: American leaders. Seriously, grades are almost antithetical to success now. Sheesh bro, I almost wish I got a C in bio because I would have gone to MBA school with my HS buddies who dropped premed and I would be living in phat pad n Hawaii right about now.......

MasterMD said:
Berkeley rocks at ruining our GPAs... i hope med schools know this!!! i feel your pain... i just screwed myself over last semester by overcommiting socially and academically... 18 units.. leadership positions in student orgs... 12 hours of lab time a week... volunteering... etc etc etc... i think everything will be ok :D :luck:

No, med school admins dont give a flying F you cant balance your time/life. It will make things easy for them for the redirect to the circular filing can.

getting stoned at Peoples park in Berkeley............$10
getting drunk at the Cal Track party....................20 bucks
4 years at Cal..................................................80 grand
admins using your AMCAS app as a coffee coaster..Priceless

OSUdoc08 said:

Truer words have yet to be said on this particular topic. :thumbup:

LADoc00 said:
No, med school admins dont give a flying F you cant balance your time/life. It will make things easy for them for the redirect to the circular filing can.

lol

LADoc00 said:

what??? i was talking about Berkeley's tough grading with a side note about how i screwed up...(which i really didnt all that much...) i dont understand the relevence of your post to what i said.

Golddanboy said:
I'm pretty sure the path to medicine will involve moments more stressful then a getting a few low grades. Personally I'm more worried that I'm going to spend my entire life in a text book then the extra year or two it could take me to show my dedication to being a doctor.

On a side note i didn't see how bainsstatic's comment helped at all .....
Your suppose to set goals against yourself, not against other students. Besides, I think it would only help matters if you said "and then I got into harvard medical ...."
You're right, you should set your own goals instead of doing so against others. I was merely trying to lighten the situation, however. He/she can't instantly say "ok im going to get an A now" and feel better. Having personal examples can help alleviate stress while searching for what you believe your own goal is. I hope that made sense haha.

To the OP:

General Biology 2 grade: C+
MCAT score: better than a C+ in Bio 2 would predict
Accepted to a US allopathic medical school: Yes

'nuff said