My List of 20 Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cruptoi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I was hoping to get some input on my list of schools.

My Stats...
3.45 science GPA
3.61 Overall GPA
34 MCAT
~4 years of research (taking gap year to do research, with 2 abstracts and 1 publication)
2 Honors theses (Neuroscience and Creative Writing)

My schools... (I'm a Michigan resident)

Reach?
Einstein
Boston University
Michigan
Stanford

In-State
Central Michigan
Michigan State
Wayne State
Oakland University

The Rest
University of Washington
Chapel Hill
Virginia
Mayo Medical
Wisconsin-Madison
Iowa
Rochester
Chicago medical School at Rosalind Franklin
New York Medical College
Maryland
Wake Forest
Ohio State

Thanks a bunches for the input.

Members don't see this ad.

Looks good. I'd also consider Cincinnati - they take a decent number of OOS students. Maybe add a few more safeties, possibly Toledo, although I think you should be okay w the list as is.

Hello, I was hoping to get some input on my list of schools.

My Stats...
3.45 science GPA
3.61 Overall GPA
34 MCAT
~4 years of research (taking gap year to do research, with 2 abstracts and 1 publication)
2 Honors theses (Neuroscience and Creative Writing)

My schools... (I'm a Michigan resident)

Reach?
Einstein
Boston University
Michigan
Stanford

In-State
Central Michigan
Michigan State
Wayne State
Oakland University

The Rest
University of Washington
Chapel Hill
Virginia
Mayo Medical
Wisconsin-Madison
Iowa
Rochester
Chicago medical School at Rosalind Franklin
New York Medical College
Maryland
Wake Forest
Ohio State

Thanks a bunches for the input.
you've got some great in-state options being from michigan, but i'd be wary of some of those OOS schools you've included. specifically UW-madison, they reserve typically <30 spots in the class for OOS residents, so those applicants are judged on a much higher level, as Im sure you understand for your own in-state schools. do you have the MSAR? i'd check into all of those OOS public schools you have on there, seems like a lot to me.

Members don't see this ad :)
you've got some great in-state options being from michigan, but i'd be wary of some of those OOS schools you've included. specifically UW-madison, they reserve typically <30 spots in the class for OOS residents, so those applicants are judged on a much higher level, as Im sure you understand for your own in-state schools. do you have the MSAR? i'd check into all of those OOS public schools you have on there, seems like a lot to me.

Almost all of these OOS schools have around a 20% OOS acceptance rate, at least from what I remember. (I did use the MSAR to help narrow my choices).

Almost all of these OOS schools have around a 20% OOS acceptance rate, at least from what I remember. (I did use the MSAR to help narrow my choices).
do you mean 20% of OOS applicants get accepted? no way. Perhaps 20% of the class is OOS (ie in a class of 170, 34 spots are occupied by OOS) that would make more sense. do whatever you're gonna do, i'm just saying it's really really hard to get into some OOS public schools. this isnt always reflected in the "average" gpa given on schools' websites.

are you a URM? because that would change everything..

Last edited:
University of Washington will be a serious reach unless you have a background in rural medicine. They hardly take anyone from out of the region.