My list of dental schools for upcoming cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vaheb

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello there, my stats aren't so great so I will be applying to a wide array of schools around the US.

Residence: California
Cum GPA: 3.2
BCP: 3.0
Science: 3.0
DAT: 21AA/22TS/23PAT
Volunteering/Shadowing and ECs: 600 hours in different private practices and UCLA dental center, playing the violin for 8 years, and tutoring math/science for the past 3 years.
Research: Exactly 1.5 years in a cardiovascular lab, getting a letter of rec from my PI.

First Choice Schools: USC or Western
- UoP realistically.

ASDOH
Midwestern-Arizona
USC
UCLA
UCSF
Western
UoP
Midwestern-Illinois
University of Louisville
Boston University
Tufts University
University of Detroit Mercy
UNLV
University of Southern Nevada/Roseman
Creighton University
NYU
Case Western
Temple
Virginia Commonwealth
Indiana
Marquette
Maryland
LECOM

Cheers,
Vaheb

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Dude those are like my exact stats and almost same DAT and almost same school list.

Nice!

I don't know if you want your first choice to be USC. There is a lot of controversy about that school. You have a pretty good app. Your gpa is very low, but seeing as you went to a fairly difficult school, perhaps adcom will give you a bit of leeway. Your ECs and DAT make up for GPA.

Good list. Apply broadly and mind OOS acceptances, and you will be fine.

Make sure your LoRs and personal statement is perfected.

Members don't see this ad :)
Buffalo isn't a OOS friendly school. Take it off

Buffalo isn't a OOS friendly school. Take it off

Buffalo is OOS friendly. Actually all the schools on the list are. I would never want USC to be a top choice on anyones list. I hope they reject you for your own good!

Buffalo is OOS friendly. Actually all the schools on the list are. I would never want USC to be a top choice on anyones list. I hope they reject you for your own good!

Why does everyone hate on it?

I have the funds to pay for the school and I talk to a lot of students there since it's only like 20 minutes from my house and a lot of people say they love it.

Why does everyone hate on it?

I have the funds to pay for the school and I talk to a lot of students there since it's only like 20 minutes from my house and a lot of people say they love it.

Even if you could afford it you would save, just a guess, about 200k going to most other schools on your list. I have 5 friends that have interviewed there and they all placed it on the bottom. I did not even apply there because I personally would have rather reapplied then go there.

I think its the problem based learning or whatever its called, the method of teaching they use, its the cost, the overall problems. I thought I read somewhere they possibly were running the chance of losing accreditation or something like that. Maybe I just got sucked in on all the dislike on SDN. I personally have not been there... Still based off cost I would never go.

Even if you could afford it you would save, just a guess, about 200k going to most other schools on your list. I have 5 friends that have interviewed there and they all placed it on the bottom. I did not even apply there because I personally would have rather reapplied then go there.

I think its the problem based learning or whatever its called, the method of teaching they use, its the cost, the overall problems. I thought I read somewhere they possibly were running the chance of losing accreditation or something like that. Maybe I just got sucked in on all the dislike on SDN. I personally have not been there... Still based off cost I would never go.

I see, but I've put it on the top of my list because SC and Western are the only schools I think I can get into :/

Obviously if I was able to choose something higher, I would.

I would realistically want to go to UoP because I plan on doing general and I visited the school and fell in love with it.

I wouldn't call 16 OOS out of 90 students "friendly." But to each their own.

I like your list but may consider putting any new school on the list. (LECOM, ATSU-MISSOURI, UNE) Just because you never know what to expect with new schools.

Have you thought about taking some extra summer classes to help boost your GPA?

Good Luck to you.

Last edited:
I have the similar statics too!! but I'm not a resident in California...

I wish my GPA was higher...

Seriously busted my ass these past 3 years, but the sciences at my school are just too crazy.

get rid of creighton, they only like midwest oos applicants

get rid of creighton, they only like midwest oos applicants

Did you have any experience applying to Creighton? Is Creighton's selection kind of like Colorado?

I was intrigued to apply to Creighton since a lot of people say it's a solid school. I'm also from California.

Did you have any experience applying to Creighton? Is Creighton's selection kind of like Colorado?

I was intrigued to apply to Creighton since a lot of people say it's a solid school. I'm also from California.

haha yea. i applied with similar scores to you, az resident. i didn't get one email or letter from them the entire cycle. didn't even get a confirmation that my aadsas app had been received. weird...

i definitely think creighton's a solid school, but they might figure that if you're from the coasts you're more likely to attend a coastal school over a midwest one. colorado's process seems more cut and dry - taking mostly co residents

haha yea. i applied with similar scores to you, az resident. i didn't get one email or letter from them the entire cycle. didn't even get a confirmation that my aadsas app had been received. weird...

i definitely think creighton's a solid school, but they might figure that if you're from the coasts you're more likely to attend a coastal school over a midwest one. colorado's process seems more cut and dry - taking mostly co residents

Can't vouch for this or against it. However, for what it's worth I am on the coast and applied to Creighton last cycle with under-average scores (both DAT + GPA) but got offered an interview in September. Granted, I am still waitlisted, but I'm pretty sure that is due to my poor interview skills and not my application itself. So, I wouldn't say "don't apply because you won't get in" because it's surely possible, but then again I may be an outlier so take it with a grain of salt. If you really like the school, just apply!

I wish my GPA was higher...

Seriously busted my ass these past 3 years, but the sciences at my school are just too crazy.

totally understand, we have to work extra hard to just bring up the gpa by a little and thank god dental school don't judge solely base on the gpa

Definitely apply to Buffalo. Its a great school. I wouldn't listen to the naysayers, some people tend to use false info to prove their point. They take a ton of OOS students and their dirt cheap tuition makes them an awesome school to add to your list. Just like you should add UMDNJ, UConn, and Temple. Never underestimate state schools and their level of professionalism, integrity, and price tag. Good luck.

Definitely apply to Buffalo. Its a great school. I wouldn't listen to the naysayers, some people tend to use false info to prove their point. They take a ton of OOS students and their dirt cheap tuition makes them an awesome school to add to your list. Just like you should add UMDNJ, UConn, and Temple. Never underestimate state schools and their level of professionalism, integrity, and price tag. Good luck.

Those schools, except Temple, aren't OOS Friendly.

Those schools, except Temple, aren't OOS Friendly.

If you open up doc's file and read the data and interpret it properly then they are OOS friendly. Both schools accept a good percentage of OOS students, which justifies spending money to apply there and gain cheap in-state tuition after the first year (except for Temple). So the answer is Yes, they are OOS friendly.

If you open up doc's file and read the data and interpret it properly then they are OOS friendly. Both schools accept a good percentage of OOS students, which justifies spending money to apply there and gain cheap in-state tuition after the first year (except for Temple). So the answer is Yes, they are OOS friendly.

Thank you for the info man, you're really helpful!

And thank you to everyone else for the responses