My list of schools... hope you guys can help add or remove.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentalbear

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in process of submitting my app and wanted to get some feedback on the list of schools I've put down. Now, I am a 29yo non-traditional student, didn't do so well in undergrad and got a 2.61cgpa. I went back to school in 06 majoring in biomed sciences and i currently have a 3.68cgpa and 3.4sgpa. I will be taking the DATs end of july and hoping/praying i get around a 20 or higher. Have a lot of EC's, shadowing hours, volunteer hours, and good LOR's. This is my list, please let me know if I should add or remove any schools. I'm also asian and a PA resident.

Arizona
Midwestern
USC
Loma Linda
Western
Howard
Boston
Tufts
UMDNJ
NYU
Case
UPitt
Temple
Meharry
VCU

I was thinking of adding Creighton and Marquette but I wanted to see what you guys thought of the list before paying nearly $1500 for the app fee.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Only apply to Howard if what you want to do falls in line with their mission. Don't consider HU just some easy to get into school.

Your grades are very good now, just a bit above and below the average for accepted students, good job on turning that around! It will definitely make a difference to Adcoms to be able to see that you've done that.

Your list looks pretty good, but just be sure to keep a few things in mind. Howard and Meherry focus on accepting minority students, Howard being about 52% Black, 40% Asian and 8% everything else, and Meherry being about 98% Black and 2% everything else from what I remember of the guide book. This is not to say that they don't accept White students, I saw a number during my interview at Howard, but just something to keep in mind. I was accepted to Howard and I thought it was a really great school with amazing faculty, and it's WAAAAY cheaper than many of the other schools, from what I remember, like half. I'm not sure what Sublime means by what he said about "what you want to do falls in line with their mission," but their mission is very community service driven - one of the things I really liked about the school.

Also, remember that Loma Linda requires a religious letter of recommendation, from someone who can attest to your spirituality - and it doesn't need to be 7th Dat Adventist (which they are). If you can get that, Loma Linda is a really great school. Pitt is also a really great school, and I'll be attending there in the fall.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks... well the only issue is when they calculate my total gpa between the two schools i've attended it will be around 3.0 or maybe less. That is my biggest concern. hopefully my dat score as well as my ECs and LORs will help make up for that.

Does loma linda ask for that letter from a spiritual leader after they receive the application?

thanks... well the only issue is when they calculate my total gpa between the two schools i've attended it will be around 3.0 or maybe less. That is my biggest concern. hopefully my dat score as well as my ECs and LORs will help make up for that.

Does loma linda ask for that letter from a spiritual leader after they receive the application?

Ahh, well, as long as you've talked about it in your PS they should understand. And yes, Loma Linda will send you an email about their online secondary, and there it asks you to do one through their website if you haven't already done it through AADSAS. And it doesn't need to necessarily be from a priest or head person, though the higher up the better I'm sure, but just from someone who can attest to your spirituality. I'm catholic and I had my Confirmation Sponsor write mine, that seemed to be fine.