1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

My Liver.....Help please.......

Discussion in 'General Residency Issues' started by UrSexyLatinDr21, Dec 9, 2002.

1. UrSexyLatinDr21

UrSexyLatinDr21 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

OK, so today I went to see a Dr. and he said some of my luiver enzymes were high, one not too much, but one called "SGTP" was twice as the normal reading. Any idea what can cause SGTP to elevate and what the circumstances can be? He said it doesnt mean that the liver is not working propetly, but that other physiological aspects can be causing the SGTP to be high. He is not my family dr. so he just told me that, didint go into much details. I ll be making an appt to see my family dr. but meanwhile I would like to get some info. Thanks!

Eduardo

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Now c'mon...let's all say it together..."Why don't you look it up and tell us tomorrow what you've found?"

:D

There are plenty of references - both on-line and in the library at Fresno State which describe the causes of elevated liver enzymes. Since you're presumably interested in medicine, I'll bet that you'll remember these causes a lot longer than someone just randomly studying them because you've got a vested interest in learning about them.

4. :laugh: :laugh:

sorry eduardo, i searched the web and this is what i found:

Transaminases (SGTP) & (SGOT): These are enzymes that are primarily found in the liver. Drinking too much alcohol, certain drugs, liver disease and bile duct disease can cause high levels in the blood. Hepatitis is another problem that can raise these levels. Low levels of GGTP may indicate a magnesium deficiency. Low levels of SGPT and SGOT may indicate deficiency of vitamin B6.

5. Winged Scapula

Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    You're being too easy on the boy...let him find it himself! ;)

6. KyGrlDr2B

7+ Year Member

My cat had elevated liver enzyme ALT. This freaked me out and I searched it at a ton of places on the internet. I found a lot of stuff via Yahoo, although the majority of it just caused me to worry. She had to have more tests run, but her liver is fine and her heart is what is jacked up. Anyway, just thought I'd tell you to search yahoo but take it with a grain of salt and ask your doc about it.

7. i know but i cant help it :D besides, now i know what SGTP and SGOT mean ;)

8. Celiac Plexus

Celiac Plexus Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]

9. Mindy

Mindy Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Liver enzymes, such as the ones described here, enter the bloodstream in increased quantities when the cells that make them become damaged. For example SGPT and SGOT are made by hepatocytes (liver cells). When the hepatocytes are damaged by toxins (e.g. drugs or alcohol), infectious agents (e.g. viral hepatitis, mononucleosis), or decreased drainage of bile (e.g gallstone disease), then they become "leaky" causing the enzymes that normally reside in the interior of the cells to spill into the blood stream. This accounts for the "high liver enymes" seen in your blood. I apologize to the medical purists for this gross simplification, BTW.

Do you drink alcohol excessively? Do you take any other over the counter or illicit drugs (particularly anything your doctor would not be aware of)? Consider stopping these for a few weeks before seeing your family doc. Have your enzymes rechecked. If they return to normal, you may have your cause. If your enzymes are still high, your doctor may need to look a little harder for a cause. BUT, keep in mind that there are many reasons your liver enzymes may be elevated, and much of the time it is nothing more than a curiosity which "cures" itself over time. So...follow-up with your doctor of course, but don't worry yourself to tears that you have some rare incurable disease. And if you are a regular, moderate- to-heavy drinker (>2 drinks or so most days of the week) or pot-smoker, etc...stop.

Mindy

P.S. A note to KYGRL: The heart and the liver are not isolated organs. A heart problem can cause blood to pool in the liver with subsequent damage to hepatocytes and an increase in serum liver enzymes.

10. Mindy

Mindy Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Eduardo:

Lo siento para tu Abuelo tambien.

Mindy

11. Apollyon

Apollyon Screw the GST
    Physician Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

It's ironic how y'all are using the "old" names - hell, I don't even know which is which with the SGPT and SGOT; the only people I hear calling them that are (very) senior, invariably male attendings. It's almost as if they do it on purpose.

Being an actual working doc means I'm a total slug, looking for the easiest way to do the tons of work I get dumped on me daily (my second month of day float - can you FEEL the acrimony?), and saving that one letter works!

And, even though she's (ewww...) - a surgeon - she's absolutely right. You literally wipe your own butt - don't figuratively let someone else do it!

12. Winged Scapula

Attending Physician

13. Fah-Q

Fah-Q Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    It would help to know why your doc ordered the liver function tests in the first place. Have you started a new drug or did you go to the doc with a complaint or perhpas it was just a screening test? More info about you would be helpful.

14. KyGrlDr2B

7+ Year Member

Thanks Mindy, but I know what's wrong with her. :) She's on medication and everything is running smoothly.

15. rbassdo

rbassdo newly hindu
    7+ Year Member

I bet you have a "fatty liver." It's most common in younger males with moderately poor to poor eating habits. What are your blood trigliceride and total cholestrol levels? If liver function is normal besides having not too high AST and ALT (125 and 160 respectively, for example) I bet that's it. Btw...Aspartate Transaminase (AST) and Alanine Transaminase(ALT) are the modern terms used for SGTP and SGOT. You can throw that guess out the window if you're a vegetarian.