My MCAT and GPA represents the whole spectrum

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks for the response Gospurs and Kevin. Do you think an anthro major would do well on the VR section? What about psych major?

Your major (excpet if you choose English maybe) has little to do with how you perform on the VR section because the VR section focuses on how well you are able to analyze literature.

It may help you if you happen to get a psychology/anthro passage though.

Honestly the best thing you can do to prepare for VR is read novels and non-fiction books on a regular basis.

Members don't see this ad.

Your major (excpet if you choose English maybe) has little to do with how you perform on the VR section because the VR section focuses on how well you are able to analyze literature.

It may help you if you happen to get a psychology/anthro passage though.

Honestly the best thing you can do to prepare for VR is read novels and non-fiction books on a regular basis.

Similarly, I find it interesting that there are so many engineers who seem to get low scores in the Physics section of the MCAT.

Similarly, I find it interesting that there are so many engineers who seem to get low scores in the Physics section of the MCAT.

My only guess is that they are not dedicated engineers. No offense to engineering students here. I just mean if they are really into engineering problems and careers, they probably won't get distracted by applying to med schools. Those who do apply after all are stretched on both types on course work and score low on their supposedly strong physics section.

Let's set something straight about the correlation between USMLE 1 and the MCAT:

"The Biological Sciences section most directly correlates to success on the USMLE Step 1 exam, with a correlation coefficient of .553 vs .491 for Physical Sciences and .397 for Verbal Reasoning."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12377692?dopt=AbstractPlus

Anyone who has taken stats can tell you that these correlations aren't even that good.

That being said, however, the most important section on the MCAT, imo, is your weakest one (maybe excluding writing but is that even a section? :p)