My MCAT Journey

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Profound

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. As you are well aware, there have been similar threads like this in the past. This is just a public thread where I would like to document my MCAT progress and encourage everyone else on similar journeys to come together and help each other out.

What I hope to accomplish here is a community of people who are dedicated to getting their dream score on the new MCAT. People can come post questions, give general support, or provide motivation. As we all post, I hope we can see our own flaws or sometimes help others see theirs. I also want this thread to show others in the future that anything can be accomplished with enough effort and practice. Many people see this test as a monster, as did I at one point. I now see it as a tamable beast.

As for me, I have dedicated the entire summer to study for this test and will be taking it on August 22nd. I will try to post everyday but sometimes it will be a couple of days without posts so stick with me. Any suggestions to make this thread better will be helpful.

I will start posting soon so check back later!

Members don't see this ad.

In terms of prep for this exam, I'm mainly using Kaplan, TBR for Biochem, EK, and Khan Academy. I started studying about 2 weeks ago and I'm just trying to get through content review. Haven't really done much passages yet but I'm going to start soon. I'm just going through the material I know the least and then start drilling in passages.

Today was a solid Biochem day. I've never took biochem before so I'm trying to cover all my tracks with Kaplan, TBR, and Khan. This metabolism stuff is really dense so I'm going to have to go through it a few times...

Also I've already pinpointed my weakest section which is CARS so I'm doing about 3 passages a day from either EK 101 or TPRH Verbal. I see slight improvements but need to keep at it.

My goal score is around a 512-516 which comes out to be 128-129 in each section. Obviously going for my best, but it always is good to have a goal :)

Also a quick shoutout to @mcatjelly who has done such a good job compiling everything about this new exam. I really admire everything you have done for this community and I just want to let you know that it has definitely helped me out!

Reactions: 10 users
For CARS, how do some of you tackle the really dense passages? I try to find the main idea but I get so lost sometimes. Does it just come with practice?

When I took the old exam, I found out that I would sometimes read and get so lost in the tough passages that it really hurt my score. I'm trying to drastically improve that now.

Also, how often do you return to the passage for AAMC questions? I'm working through TPRH right now and some questions are detailed oriented so I'm forced to return to the passage, but I'm trying to limit that.

Any help is appreciated :)

Members don't see this ad :)
For CARS, how do some of you tackle the really dense passages? I try to find the main idea but I get so lost sometimes. Does it just come with practice?

When I took the old exam, I found out that I would sometimes read and get so lost in the tough passages that it really hurt my score. I'm trying to drastically improve that now.

Also, how often do you return to the passage for AAMC questions? I'm working through TPRH right now and some questions are detailed oriented so I'm forced to return to the passage, but I'm trying to limit that.

Any help is appreciated :)

Passage comprehension definitely improves with passage, yes.

I found that establishing a highlighting method helped to keep me focused on the material. So for instance, I made an effort to highlight certain words (i.e. strong language implying an attitude or tone, transition words, names to refer back to, words in quotations that were also likely to be referred back to in questions), and certain phrases (i.e. assertions and conclusions).

Reactions: 1 users
Try to write down the main idea from each paragraph, then formulate one big main idea based on that !

Yeah I've been trying to do this but more mentally. Maybe I should write it down for now.

Passage comprehension definitely improves with passage, yes.

I found that establishing a highlighting method helped to keep me focused on the material. So for instance, I made an effort to highlight certain words (i.e. strong language implying an attitude or tone, transition words, names to refer back to, words in quotations that were also likely to be referred back to in questions), and certain phrases (i.e. assertions and conclusions).

Yeah that makes sense. It keeps you thinking. I need to practice a lot more and try not to freak out when I'm presented with a tough passages. I know I shouldn't dwell too much on the details and try to get an idea of why the evidence is presented but this is easier said than done.

This has always been some kind of a problem for me and I need keep working on developing the skill. Surmounting this problem will really help with my overall test confidence.

Reactions: 1 user
Try to write down the main idea from each paragraph, then formulate one big main idea based on that !

Or you can try not doing this and look - you've already saved yourself a considerable amount of time you can use to actually think about the passage.

Or you can try not doing this and look - you've already saved yourself a considerable amount of time you can use to actually think about the passage.

That's what I have to practice I guess. I've definitely gotten better at it but I want my comprehension of the point where it's natural and fluid. I don't want to stop and ask myself questions.

I know what I have to do and what my end goal is. Now just to put it into practice which will take time and perseverance.

That being said, I've been falling behind my schedule a bit. Have to pick it up a bit and not let the daily disappointments get to me. Gotta get back into it! :)

Finished my first round of Biochem and I'm starting to go through TBR's Biochem passages! Definitely have to look at the content again.

Started my Behavioral Sciences content review and making Anki cards for anything that needs to be memorized (so pretty much the whole book lol).

I'm keeping up with a couple CARS passages everyday. I'm holding off on the rest of TPRH and EK (finished about half of both) for a little later on and going to be using Kaplan's material as burn through material for the next week or two. I'll be using all of the AAMC material towards the end of my prep. I've know that that Kaplan's CARS isn't as representative but I've realized that my passage comprehension, especially on the tough passages, is a bit poor and Kaplan has some dense passages to test my comprehension on. I did 5 passages today and did pretty bad (56% correct) mainly because I got killed on 2 difficult passages. I'm going to use this as my baseline and see how much I can improve from here.

Days just seem to fly by. It's already June!

If anyone else wants to post, please go ahead. I would love to see how other people are progressing.

I'm still alive! Sorry I haven't posted in over 2 weeks! Omg I didn't even realize time went by that fast.

Okay so quick summary: I've been working on CARS almost everyday, I have about half of Kaplan physics, Sociology part of Kaplan Behavioral Sciences, and the Organic Chemistry book left for content review. I haven't started TBR Bio II yet but I'll get to it as soon as I can.

I'm going to start taking the EK 30-minute exams and go through Khan Passages soon. Also I'm taking my first full length (Kaplan) sometime next week. Content review is almost done so it's going to passages almost constantly with content review here and there. I'm going to crack open the AAMC Question Packs towards the beginning of July.

I haven't taken Orgo II yet so I'm supplementing my orgo studying with parts of EK 1001. I'm also going to go through Kaplan Biochem again and solidify some concepts.

CARS Update: My weakest section and I have dedicated a lot of time for this section. Actually, I am retaking the new exam solely because I scored a 7 on the old test. I'm going to start taking full 90 minute tests soon instead of doing a couple passages each day. I know fatigue will definitely play a role so I need to start building endurance. Goal score 127+.

Seems I have my work cut out for me. It's a lot but I'm excited to continue. I feel like I haven't been putting my full potential into this and that's about to change. If you're following along, thanks for reading. If not, I'm going to post anyway. This is something for myself.

@Profound I am happy to hear that you are stepping up your game to build endurance, remember you can go hard but also slow down at some points to to recoup. But i love your enthusiasm. I quite havent gotten so acclimated to my schedule but I will soon. As in im starting right after I post this. lol No time like the present.

To be honest, organic mechanisms are not that useful. The Kaplan organic book is probably more than enough for the current MCAT.

@Chimichica Haha I'm always adjusting my daily schedule. I don't have a set schedule, just a general idea. I just hate having down days that make me feel so guilty that I did almost nothing. Like today...
Also, I hate losing confidence every time I get low passage scores, especially in CARS. It makes me feel like all the work I put in is for nothing. I've realized that I need to improve both accuracy and speed in which I make logical conclusions. This is difficult because I get flustered when I'm trying to concentrate and my mind races. It's such a struggle for me but I know I have to keep pushing and reassure myself that anything can be overcome if I put in enough time and effort.

@El-Rami Yep and that absolutely works in my favor. I just need to go through the basics and the general inputs/outputs and I should be fine.

Helloooooo again!

Okay so since the last time I've been working through EK's 30 minute exams. I've finished about half of those and I left the topics I still need to thoroughly review (content-wise) for later.

I'm starting my second pass through Biochemistry (Kaplan) tomorrow and this time I'm nailing down details because I have a general idea of how things work. I'm going to start working through the AAMC question packs and Khan Academy passages over the course of the next few weeks.

Also, I took my first full length today. It was Kaplan FL 1 and I scored a 502 with a breakdown of 125/125/127/125. There are a couple of topics in Chem/Phys I still need to review like Optics/Fluids/All of orgo lol. I still need to work through CARS. Bio/Biochem didn't seem too bad but I noticed there wasn't much experimental passages so I need to find another resource for those. I really felt the drain during the Psych/Soc section but that's expected because it's my first full length. Now I know I know what topics I really need to brush up on.

I want to do full lengths from a variety of sources so I'm probably going to do a couple more from Kaplan, a couple from TPR, and EK.

Days are flying by quickly. Some good days, some bad. It's going to be worth it in the end. Thanks for stopping by!

Reactions: 1 users
Haha I find myself shocked to find out how much time has passed. Now the July test takers are about to go and the line is getting shorter and shorter.

Regardless, focus less on the time and more on what needs to be done.

Took my second FL earlier this week and was kinda depressed because I really wanted an upward trend. I scored a 498 (125, 124, 126, 123). I found myself doing a lot of careless errors on the psych/soc and realized I need to go some material that I still haven't covered. I'm still working on verbal and I'll start doing AAMC 90 minute timed sections soon. Even though my scores here don't show it, I know I definitely got better in verbal. Whenever I'm reading I can really get into it and even when I don't understand the passage too much I don't lose as many points. Now that I know my prep has not been for a lost cause, I have to focus on the errors I've been making which have been more sporadic on Kaplan tests but will become more clear as I start going through the AAMC material.

I'm still working on EK's 30 minute exams and this week I'm going to nail in certain physics concepts using the old EK1001 books. I know they're not representative of the test but I need help with the concepts.

I said before that I wanted to take a couple TPR tests but I don't know where I could fit them. I'm going to start weaning off the Kaplan tests and start doing the EK tests. But should I try to fit in a TPR test in there? We'll see.

I've also started Khan passages this week. It seems the bio/psych experimental passages are pretty good. I like reading through those passages but those chem/phys passages though...haha. I've only done a couple of those but if I feel they aren't going to help me as much, I'll focus my energies elsewhere.

I feel the drain. My motivation has subsided a little bit but I can't let that get to me. I keep telling myself it'll be over soon.

My 1 month timer is going to start soon. This is when all things get serious and I really buckle down in terms of discipline. Lot's of sleep, endurance building, practice tests, section tests, minimal distractions. I already let this test beat me once, I'm not letting it happen again.