Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

my mcat killed me!

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by dreamy, Jun 30, 2002.

1. dreamy

dreamy New Member

I came to the U.S. from Thailand in 1992 and I wanted to be a DO badly, but I think my mcat score (especially verbal) is killing me. I applied to DO in 1999 with my MCAT score of 4-10-n-8, apply to UNECOM, NYCOM, and PCOM. I only had 1 interview at UNECOM with no success. I just received my april/02 score of 4-11-n-9. I am sad that my terrible verbal score of 4 appeared again. my cummulative gpa is 3.84 and I have done quiet a few volunteer work since we all here share a common goal of loving to help people in sickness. Do I have any improved chance at all? Would any one out there who probably went through the crazy application process help me?

P.S. Good luck to any one applying this year...

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DNAdude

DNAdude Junior Member

dont worry...you will get in
    a 4 on verbal will probably eliminate you from some DO school such as michigan, and COMP (require 5) and maybe others ....but i wouldnt worry so much because
    1: you've got a great GPA
    2: you got the average needed for DO schools-24
    so just reapply. I would definately reapply if i were you and try to bring out the other good aspects in your application
    dreamy...dreams do come true

4. DNAdude

DNAdude Junior Member

dont worry...you will get in
    a 4 on verbal will probably eliminate you from some DO school such as michigan, and COMP (require 5) and maybe others ....but i wouldnt worry so much because
    1: you've got a great GPA
    2: you got the average needed for DO schools-24
    so just reapply. I would definately reapply if i were you and try to bring out the other good aspects in your application
    dreamy...dreams do come true

5. njdesi

njdesi Senior Member

I would definitely encourage you to apply! I didnt do too hot on my MCAT's from April 2002
    either - 9BS-8VR-6PS and WS-Q but I applied very early through AACOMAS to 11 DO schools. S far 3 out of the 11 schools have sent me back secondaries and I am hoping that more will come. I will retake this August as well though. I think what has helped me was that after my BA I did a postbaac and a Masters in Public Health with 3 years of work experience in the field of public health. Good luck to you. If I can do it, so can you.

6. npdoc28

npdoc28 Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I have heard many success stories of people that have gotten in with low verbal that use English as their second language. I believe adcoms will take this into serious consideration that you are not a native speaker. Good luck!

7. dreamy

dreamy New Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by njdesi:
    <strong>I would definitely encourage you to apply! I didnt do too hot on my MCAT's from April 2002
    either - 9BS-8VR-6PS and WS-Q but I applied very early through AACOMAS to 11 DO schools. S far 3 out of the 11 schools have sent me back secondaries and I am hoping that more will come. I will retake this August as well though. I think what has helped me was that after my BA I did a postbaac and a Masters in Public Health with 3 years of work experience in the field of public health. Good luck to you. If I can do it, so can you.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">hi, njdesi
    I think you will have a better chance than mine because I see many people have a big jump with the science score and it's very hard to improve the verbal score plus your experience is outstanding. Adms probably assumes that you will improve your sciense score next time anyway. Well, who know what's going on? You and I may sit next to each other in same class??? Keep up good work!!!

To others, thanks a lot for encouragement.

8. HoneyHunter

HoneyHunter Member

Dreamy,

Hey, guess what...I'm Thai too. ;) I know what you mean. My verbal still sucks even though I came in 1985. Can you believe it, I had to take the MCAT 3 times!!! Yup. Before I tell you my scores, let me tell you that I got into COMP(2006) and will be attending this AUG. If you really want to be a doctor badly, I would suggest that you read daily (2-3hrs.). Read newspapers, magazines, books, novels, whatever... That's what I did to practice my eyes to not get tired when reading for long period of time and to stay focused. I think my problem is having a hard time focusing on readings that I'm not familiar with or not interesting. It's like I'm reading it but forgot what I've just read so when I go to attack the questions, I have to go back and find it (reread, etc.) I also suggest reading stuff that does not interest you or subjects that you don't really understand when reading it. Have you tried taking a prep course? If it's too expensive, you can just find someone who took it aleady and just use the materials. I took Hyperlearning I went to class (teach the same stuff in book) and I think it's a waste of time and money. Lots of people think it helps (by going to classrooms) but do what you think is best. Ok, the first time I took it I got a v-4 p-8 b-9 N. The second time I took it (just using the books and not going to classroom) v-3 p-8 b-7 M. Hahahhaa...your probably laughing. I'm laughing too. I don't know what happened. I remembered that I studied pretty hard for it too. I think I know why... and I blame it on raving...hahaha :laugh: Ok, when I decided to quit I graduated and studied for MCAT again (using my previous materials + Kaplan materials my friend gave me). I did this when I have a full time job too! I finally boost my scores to v-6 p-11 b-10 N. Oh, my gpa is only 3.4. See...If I can get in...you can too. So start now and prepare yourself for APRIL MCAT!!! If you have any more questions... mai bpen rai, ya mot quam wong. law eg noi ja bpen rai. My dad tought me in Thai, I have a choice...1) do I want to suffer now and live happy in the future or 2) do I want to live happy now and suffer in the future. <---sorry...writing this post makes me think of my dad and wanted to share something he said to me with you. Ok, enough about me... Good luck to you and study hard... Best of luck and wishes :clap: