physiclas87

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 5, 2005
Status
I have been reading posts in the "MCAT discussion" board and think I have a good study plan. Please critique it.

Prep Time: 3 and 1/2 years (I am still finishing high school)

Goals: Acceptance to UC San Francisco!
35-40 MCAT
Writing: Q

My writing skills are nowhere near where they should be. Same with my verbal skills. So I plan to:

Read a lot regularly, including magazines like Time and Science News, and papers like NY Times and the Wall Street Journal. I will also study vocabulary and try to integrate the words into my writing. I will keep a journal, so that I write regularly. I will also use real practice tests as guidance to track my progress, and to "get the feel" of the passages and questions.

For the science sections:

Drill material from my science classes into my head. Memorize everything. Study like crazy. Have prep books by my side at all times. Most importantly, use practice tests to practice!!!

This plan is too simplified!!! I will have to elaborate when I rewrite it.

drguy22

1K Member
10+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2004
www.mdapplicants.com
Status
Attending Physician
physiclas87 said:
I have been reading posts in the "MCAT discussion" board and think I have a good study plan. Please critique it.

35-40 MCAT

My writing skills are nowhere near where they should be. Same with my verbal skills. So I plan to:

Read a lot regularly, including magazines like Time and Science News, and papers like NY Times and the Wall Street Journal. I will also study vocabulary and try to integrate the words into my writing. I will keep a journal, so that I write regularly. I will also use real practice tests as guidance to track my progress, and to "get the feel" of the passages and questions.

Drill material from my science classes into my head. Memorize everything. Study like crazy. Have prep books by my side at all times. Most importantly, use practice tests to practice!!!

wow....u need to chill out man....ur still a kid! :laugh:

RUscrewed

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 3, 2005
New Brunswick, NJ
Status
you have 2 choices. work really really hard for 2 years and get into a BA/MD program and accelerate your studies and enjoy life more. or you can just apply to medical school like everyone else and spend a few grand on MCAT preparation and applying to countless medical schools, and in this process waste a crap load of time and effort that could more constructively be used on so many other things. the answer is simple. just work your ass off and get a near perfect gpa and get into a combined BA/MD program. trust me when I say this; you will be much better off this way then going to even the top medical school in the country.

physiclas87 said:

35-40 MCAT

gujuDoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 21, 2004
Status
Medical Student, Resident [Any Field]
Wow to the original poster and the one whom posted right above me:

We are older than you and some of us have been through this process. You have several years to live your life but if you worry about rushing through it, you will miss some of the best times of your life.

You need to take it a notch down and chill and realize how to have some fun rather than driving yourself crazy by studying too much.

There is a saying that says: study smart or study hard. You should study smart and not overdo it to the point you'll drive yourself crazy. Most med students and doctors I have talked to always say keep a few hours just to have some fun. Don't let school consume you, or you'll lose control of your life.

Secondly, many people start off premed but don't end up premed because they find something else that interests them. So if you rush yourself and then decide its not for you. .............well you get the jist of what I'm saying.

Finally, if you do the BA/MD route, you may miss out an opportunity to explore other schools. In other words, many people I know whom have applied the regular way......have told me that they wouldn't do a BA/MD route if they had to do it over again, because they were happy to have the opportunity to have multiple interviews and get a chance to choose from a few of them where they want to go rather than be stuck with having to go to that one school that will take you as a BA/MD.

Overall, I disagree with you and think you could learn a thing or two from those on this board that have been through the process.

kcernak

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 15, 2005
Status
Please don't do this to yourself. You will finish the MCAT and realize you have not experienced much except studying. You will have more than enough time to figure out a study plan, study your butt off, and get into a medical school. The important part about right now is to experience the world as much as you can at your age, and decide who you are and that medicine is what you ultimately want to do.

OP
physiclas87

physiclas87

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 5, 2005
Status
Thank you for your opinions, but I am 100% set on this course of action. I need tips! Advise! Please!

hb2998

10+ Year Member
Jan 18, 2005
Status
Resident [Any Field]
It really takes more than a solid MCAT score to get into UCSF. Try to focus on some extracarricular activities. Yes. A high MCAT score is awsome, but if you read about people who have gotten into UCSF you'll see that they mostly have a few things in common: leadership, great community involvement, or somethig else... They usually didn't get in on just numbers.

The best thing you can do is to dive into your general education classes, and just learn.. Science is important, but if you are only interested in science.. umm.. you wouldn't be a good candidate for medicine.. One prerequisite to becomming a doctor that nobody talks about is intelligence, and wanting to know everything about everything.. Not just sciences.. I call this "Intellectual promiscuity." If you spend 4 years studying for the MCAT, you might miss out on more important things.

Good luck ;-)

antissa

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2004
Toronto, Canada
www.mdapplicants.com
Status
LOL! You remind me so much of myself, it's scary. I was always in a hurry too - skipped two grades, starting reading admissions handbooks before puberty, began emailing med schools to ask what "competitive" MCAT scores were before I even understood the scoring system, went looking for a lab job before my senior year of high school. I was insane!
When I turned 16 (last year of high school), I bought my first set of MCAT prep courses and vowed to spend the next 2-3 years studying for it. Seemed like a good idea at the time - how could I NOT kick ass after 3 years of studying? Every year I bought a couple more books and by last summer, I had at least 8-10
And it's not that I didn't stick to it - spent a whole summer reading Kaplan's biological review book and everything, managed to get through a few more over time.
When it was time to actually write the thing, not a single bit of the studying I'd done more than 8 months ago benefited me. Anything I could still remember, I would've remembered anyway because I'd learned it in my premed classes, and learned it better. Not even all the books I'd accumulated was worth the money I'd spent - most of them repeated a lot of the same material, and it just wasn't a smart time investment to read them all. Besides, there's an upper limit to how much studying can help since the MCAT isn't a regurgitation-style test, and I reached that limit after about 2 months.
I know what you think because it's what I thought when people told me not to be ridiculous - that you're a more hardcore premed, you want this more than other premeds which is why this seems weird to them but you can do this and come out stronger. I won't try to talk you out of it because it won't hurt to tell yourself you're getting a headstart but realistically, after you actually write the damn thing, you'll look back and laugh at yourself
There are plenty of things you'll have to do to stay on track, but most of the burden will fall on your university years. I know you feel like you have to try to do something NOW but honestly, this kind of stuff is negligibly productive. You're much better off accumulating skills so the other activities premeds typically have to maintain are easier - pick up a sport that you can commit to for years to come, get job experience so it'll be easier to find work later.

However, I think you've got a good idea there about practicing writing skills. Reading helps - you pick up a flare for stringing words together from exposure to great writers.

captbadass

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 3, 2002
g-ville
Visit site
Status
physiclas87 said:

35-40 MCAT

hook, line, and sinker

hahaha

TicAL

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 26, 2005
Status
physiclas87 said:

35-40 MCAT

Holy Lord...calm down. You'd definately be better off first learning the materials in college courses before trying to review it yourself. Starting to read more and work on your writing may not be a bad idea, but you still have a lot of time; for your sake, don't try to complicate things more than they have to be ;)

gujuDoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 21, 2004
Status
Medical Student, Resident [Any Field]
To the original poster,

Wow you really should realize that studying too hard can if anything burn you out to the point that when you finally get around to it, you'll feel overstressed to the point where it won't do you any good.

The only thing I can recommend for you to do from now, is everything everyone else has said.

In other words:

Take your prereqs in a timely fashion and do very well in them. And instead of just regurgitating the info you learn, try to remember and understand it. Read a little extra starting now. Meaning read philosophy books or books on essays, the economics magazines, etc.

However, if you start studying for the MCAT from now, you'll go crazy.

Oh and volunteer, shadow, and maybe a little research. And in general, have a little fun along the way and make friends and talk to people, don't be a loner whom does nothing but study. Make time for yourself.

tank you

2K Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2004
california
www.last.fm
Status
to the original poster, please DO NOT do that. u shouldnt even think anything MCAT-related until sophomore year at the earliest.

just go to college, have fun, and get laid.

stoleyerscrubz

Registered User and Stuff
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2004
NY
Status
Medical Student
If you want to use some MCAT study guides to study along side their relevant chapters that is the most I can suggest. I did that with Ochem and Bio.

Have fun.