my MCAT score. let's be real!!

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by PapaLou, Jul 6, 2000.

1. PapaLou

PapaLou New Member

Hi guys. i've been reading a lot of the posts here and i have yet to read about one of you getting under a 30 on the MCAT. You guys only mention less than 30's in hypothetical situations. I'm writing this because i'm a little depressed. I got a 29. i know it's not great, but so far i've heard it's pretty competitive. i go to Univ of Miami, am majoring in Biochem with minors in bio, chem, and psy. my gpa is a 3.6 and science is 3.51. i realize they're not the great stats, but to hear you guys talk, you'd think i have no chance in hell of getting in. maybe i'm being cynical, but i think the reason is because all of you post frequently and don't want to come off like you're "less smart." (incidentally, the MCAT isn't an IQ test) I mean..did all of you really do that well? a lot of times people will write that they "did very well" or something similar, but they won't tell their score. Some people at my school are pretty competitive and will never tell you their score on a test..is that what's going on here? maybe i really did score much lower than all of you on the test. would all you guys be willing to post what you scored so that maybe some of the readers can feel less pressured or depressed?

2. raindodger

raindodger Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

let's be real...

numbers aren't everything.

many 4.0 with 43 mcat recluses get rejected from medical school.

quality potential physicians are four dimensional human beings, rather than two dimensional (GPA(x) vs. MCAT:thumbup:) characatures.

sure, one of you may reply that 'how is it that mcat and gpa averages keep increasing?'... true, the averages are increasing, but if every 4.0er entered medical school, the averages would not be in the 3.2 to 3.8 range, now would they?

-raindodger

3. tristate

tristate Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Concerning MCAT scores, I know a lot of people are wondering if 29s and above will get them into medical school. Chew on this.

The average MCAT score is around 27. If you are concerned that you are not competitive with low 30's, there are many people who are average and below average. How do you think an applicant with a MCAT score of 23 (who worked hard for their score) hears "I have a 33, and I don't think I have a good chance"?

Everyone has a chance. It's what you do with the opportunity that matters. If you feel that you aren't going to apply because you have a 30, then blow your opportunity. If you have a lower score and have that burning desire and will write the best essay possible and prove yourself at the interviews, then seize this moment.

------------------
    And the blessings just keep coming!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. jmor702

jmor702 Member
    10+ Year Member

The admissions officer at OSU-COM told me that I should not retake the MCAT when I scored a 29. He told me that a 9 - 11 average was considered pretty much the same.

For my score to make a difference I would have to score at least 2 points higher on average.

So unless the admissions officer where you apply says differently, don't retake the MCAT. You are competitive with a 29.

OSU-COM class of '04

5. Pepe

Pepe Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I'll just tell you that your score is higher than mine and I started medical school this week. Your scores are well withen the average for most schools and unless you did really poorly on one section your MCAT should be a non-issue. Basically you proved that you can take a standardized test, graded against your peers and did better than most.

6. AJ

AJ Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

7. jscottc33

jscottc33 Member
    10+ Year Member

right on!

i bet less than a handful of applicants get rejected with a 4.0 and a 43 per cycle year. where do you get your stats?

also, a 29 and 3.6 are fine statistics...maybe not ivy league, but if you apply to 10 schools, you should get in atleast half of them. my friend is at UT Southwestern with a 29.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Jacqueline

Jacqueline Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Your GPA and MCAT score should be sufficient in getting interviews for many medical schools. I recommend that you apply to as many schools as possible, but do NOT apply to state schools and you're not a state resident. I went to an Ivy League for undergrad and see a lot of people at my school applying to state schools with low MCAT and low GPA average thinking that it would be a "sure in."

I think you should really work on your personal statement and get strong letter of recs (these are soo important..especially from your research mentor). You need to ace the interview. Show the committee that you have more than just grades and MCATs to offer them.

I honestly think that your MCAT score is a bit low, but your GPA should make up for it somewhat. However, I think you'll get lots of interviews. And...a good interview means that you'll get in. At the interview, every candidate is equal. Seriously! So...prepare for you interview by going to www.interviewfeedback.com. Good luck [​IMG]You seems to want an MD really bad...show that to the committee ok [​IMG]

9. raindodger

raindodger Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

It's true my friend, you should meet most of my friends who complain about "quotas this quotas that."

A 4.0 does not guarantee you admission.
    and neither does a high mcat score alone.

The admissions process is not solely based on scores and grades. These applicants will get interviews, but not all will make it. There are other factors that adcoms take into consideration when looking for potential physicians.

-raindodger

[This message has been edited by raindodger (edited 07-08-2000).]

10. Pilot

Pilot Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I think keeping your grades to yourself is a very good idea. My wife and I met during her last semester of school, when we were both checking our grades on a jurisprudence exam. Neither of us told our score to the other at that time. Two years later I found out that she tied for the highest score in the class, and she found out that I also tied for the highest score in the class. Neither of us told the other because we didn't want to appear as a braggart.

To contrast this, I went to an admitted students day where second year medical students had lunch with us incoming medical students. Within 2 minutes of sitting down, we were informed by our second year that he was #1 in his class. Poor taste, in my opinion.

I hope to be top in my class, although I doubt it will occur. However, I will not inform others of my standing, be it #1 or last. I just don't believe it is anyone's business but mine. Pilot

11. bsthomas

bsthomas Member
    10+ Year Member

One of my good friends scored a 43 on the MCAT and had about a 3.9 GPA. He applied to ten schools and got only one acceptance. He is a very smart person (obviously) but he is a recluse and lacks the well roundedness of a good doctor. The only reason he got in the one school is because he went undergrad there. Grades aren't everything.

AJ and Jscottc33, yes there are many people with 40 MCAT scores that don't get acceptances.

12. fruitbat

fruitbat Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Paplou,
    Chin up, little buckaroo. I am assuming that you got a 29 on your first try, studying on your own, right? Take a prep class--it's worth the money.
    From the first "real" MCAT adminstered to me by the Princeton Review to the actual MCAT that I sat for, my score went up 10 points due to practice. (That's $90 per point--cheap!)
    I agree that the MCAT is not an IQ test; it is an inherently flawed measure of your ability but use that to your advantage--TRAIN for it.

Most of the people casually mentioning high scores on these message boards AREN'T blowing sunshine up your behind, unfortunately. There are lotsa cool, well-rounded mid-to-high 30s at my school.
    But don't worry about them. Worry about you.
    With a 29 you are on the cusp of a comfortable score, and a prep class will probably push you over the edge.

Good luck.

13. Sunnyleo

Sunnyleo Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Well, I wasn't going to put in my 2 cents worth but here goes. I don't think the issue is, "people don't share there scores because it's not anyone else's business". I've only been reading posts for a couple of months but invariably some posts go like this, "Do you think I have a chance, I'm an almost straight A average in nuclear biochemistry from an ivy league school, in my free time I tutor children, do medical research, am an emt and care for an ailing family member. Oh, I got a 34 on the MCAT. Do you think I have a chance?" I think those kind of posts are the issue. Many, many premeds are on this site and it's incredibly discouraging to read that kind of post and wonder "If he doesn't have a chance, what about me???". I think we have to get down to the business of becoming compassionate, caring, well-educated, in-debt human beings and encourage, cajole and motivate other students into surviving this process.

Only my 2 cents worth,

Oh by the way, it's 43 degrees here this morning....

Sunnyleo

14. mvalento

mvalento Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    in my opinion, grades and MCATs can get an applicant an interview- beyond that it is really up to the person. sure, a person with a 4.0/40 will almost undoubtably get an interview (of course, there are probably a few exceptions here), but once a person gets that far, almost everyone is considered to have roughly the same numbers. incidentally, many interviewers do not even know an applicant's numbers, which probably makes it easier to get a feel for how the applicant is as a person.

as for your question, papalou, i think the average score for students who matirculate each year is around 30, maybe even slightly lower. true, not at the so-called top schools, however your numbers should get you some interviews. after that, it is up to you! good luck!

15. Sleepy

Sleepy New Member

If anyone is out there that has a 3.9+ GPA and a 40+ MCAT and was not accepted to medical school please respond. I want the actual person not a friend of a friend but the actual person. I will be very surprised if there are actually any true responses. I agree that many qualified applicants are not accepted but lets be realistic. Its not the lottery.

16. justanotherjerseygirl

justanotherjerseygirl Junior Member

Numbers do NOT measure a person's ability to be a caring and compenent physican. I scored a 28 on my MCAT and had lower than a 3.4 GPA in college and I will be starting medical school next month. I do not feel in any way that my numbers reflect my ability to become an excellent physican. The fact of the matter is, that when I was in college, I was not sure what I wanted to do. Therefore, I didn't study as much as I should have. It was only when I got into the real world that I realized that I wanted to be a doctor. This is what I expressed in my essay and interview and it worked.
    Don't be so easily swayed by what others say about scores and grades. My undergraduate school was notorious for discouraging "less than perfect" candidates from applying to med school..the reason, they wanted to keep their stats high....wanted to be able to say "90% of our students get into medical school". I even remember talked to my premed advisor my soph yr...she practically told me to give up and I would never be able to get into med school....I was only a SOPH!!!
    When I decided to go back, I meet with the same resistance, but I stood my ground. Now, I'd like to go back to that advisor and shove my acceptance letter you know where [​IMG]
    Seriously though, if you truly want to become a doctor, you will. It may take some time, but it will happen. Just remember, if you don't apply, your chances are 0.

[This message has been edited by justanotherjerseygirl (edited 07-14-2000).]