Dr.Qball

2+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2016
Hello everyone I just wanted to get peoples opinion on what I should do. My MCAT test is in 3 days. I just took the AAMC MCAT practice test today and got a 499. I was disappointed because I hear everyone scores about the same on the actual test with some variance. Whats making me more concerned is I did all 720 question on the AAMC question packs and was recieveing a solid 70-80% on each one. (except for physics), And I was doing it under timed conditions.

The AAMC practice test I got a 127/122/123/127. Which was 71/53/54/76 percent respectively. I did feel myself getting frustrated with CARS and Biology because I felt confused most of the time with the wording of the questions and answer choices. I'm not sure how to react to this because I was expecting a score around a 505 or at least 125 on each section.

My additional practice included 6 FL from Kaplan and TPR and I was getting similar scores except I did bad on C/P and was about 125 on CARS and B/B. I also did everyone of the KA passages with modest success. I just want your guys opinion on how I should approach the next few days coming up to my test.

Kpw101

5+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2013
Status
Medical Student
What is your target score?

Kpw101

5+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2013
Status
Medical Student
Postpone. Take your MCAT but void it. With a 499 on the Scored this close to the exam it's unlikely for you to score a 505+ unless you were not feeling well or did not try your best on the scored. What were your Kaplan/TPR scores?

OP
D

Dr.Qball

2+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2016
I feel it was more about getting frustrated which isn't good this close to the test. I just read some passages in CARS and BIO and just said what did I just read? I've never scored this low on CARS or B/B on Kaplan or TPR. I got a 498 K1 (before content review) and 502 K2 (1 month ago) 500 K3 (one week ago). TPR tests were 500 (1 month ago) 501 a few weeks ago and 499 a few days ago. I always read the Test company's tests are harder but the AAMC test showed me otherwise.

Kpw101

5+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2013
Status
Medical Student
Maybe it just wasn't a good day for you. Take the unscored and compare it to some of the score compilations on reddit. If you don't do well on that one I would reschedule.

OP
D

Dr.Qball

2+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2016
So the unscored practice test is not the same as the scored? I didnt know that, but yeah maybe its just an off day. I just don't see how I could be scoring 75 percent on the Question Packs cars then receive a 53 percent on the FL. But thanks for all of your advice I appreciate it!

Kpw101

5+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2013
Status
Medical Student
No problem! And sorry if my advice seems a little harsh. Just wanted you to know there's nothing wrong with postponing and waiting until you can hit the target score that you want! We're all in a marathon, not a race.

OP
D

Dr.Qball

2+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2016
I will consider the advice if I feel just as bad as I did on this FL (in regards to CARS&B/B). But given my circumstances I think I would just live up to my score because I do not think I could have 3 months of undisturbed studying and just give up at the end. I could muster myself up to take it again but if I didnt show improvement I would consider DO school. The schools I plan on apply have an average MCAT of 500 so with that in mind I think I just need to have the confidence to do well on Friday.

bigindian4891

7+ Year Member
May 20, 2010
Status
Medical Student
I will consider the advice if I feel just as bad as I did on this FL (in regards to CARS&B/B). But given my circumstances I think I would just live up to my score because I do not think I could have 3 months of undisturbed studying and just give up at the end. I could muster myself up to take it again but if I didnt show improvement I would consider DO school. The schools I plan on apply have an average MCAT of 500 so with that in mind I think I just need to have the confidence to do well on Friday.
Its really up to you. Like @Kpw101 said up there, its a marathon, not a race. You say your target score is a 508. The AAMC scored is the best predictor. Do you think you can suddenly jump up 9 points through a very difficult CP/BB section? A lack of sleep? Nerves? Take it, and void it.

I would definitely postpone. A bad score lives with you forever. Making progress doesn't take forever. The Q-packs are from old tests, and are pretty basic. They should be used as practice refreshers, not actual material.

Sure, your schools have an average of 500. But do remember that most schools will screen out a 123 and below, so your total score wont even matter, assuming youre talking about DO schools. Think about this very carefully.

Reactions: alpha-GTP
OP
D

Dr.Qball

2+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2016
If you guys are there I want some more feedback. Just took the unscored and got what would indicate to be a 509. I don't know what to think about this. I did end up getting about 11 hours of sleep and felt refreshed and a lot less nervous because I thought I was going to have to postpone. I also tried to really understand why the experiment is being performed instead of just casually breezing through them and finishing with 20+ mins left. Any other advice? I plan on getting another good night sleep for the next two days and I am suddenly less worried about the exam because I can always void it.

Kpw101

5+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2013
Status
Medical Student
Look at the various score compilations on reddit and sdn and see if your unscored matches up to what your goal is on the exam. Be aware that some of these score reports have a chance of being biased and thus inaccurate. Estimate the score you will think you get, take it with a grain of salt and make a well-thought out decision on whether you want to void or postpone.

Nucleophile1

2+ Year Member
May 12, 2015
Status
Medical Student
If you guys are there I want some more feedback. Just took the unscored and got what would indicate to be a 509. I don't know what to think about this. I did end up getting about 11 hours of sleep and felt refreshed and a lot less nervous because I thought I was going to have to postpone. I also tried to really understand why the experiment is being performed instead of just casually breezing through them and finishing with 20+ mins left. Any other advice? I plan on getting another good night sleep for the next two days and I am suddenly less worried about the exam because I can always void it.
What was your breakdown on the Unscored?