My med school experience so far, not too thrilling

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medstudent20006

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Med school so far
monotonous environment of extroverts, blabber faces, actors, and leaders
-if you are really a blabber face it is fine, but we have way too many of these ideal ppl and I don't find them always "cute" and actually makes me want to bang my head if I see another one of these
-I am daily surrounded by a million of different ppl but they are all the same to me, suffocating freakin suffocating in med school
-\resumes reads something like this " Hi I am a major BS, I am a multilingual/ crowd pleaser/ extrovert/president/opera singer/inventor/cancer researcher/olympian/wannabe save the world superman/ Mr./miss Universe/ on my spare time go to Africa to save the children/ travel to Europe on weekends/ on my down time jump out of airplanes and btw I am a pilot... makes me want to pull my hair out whenever I hear this, are you for real human? Shouldn't you run for president or be anything but a doctor?
In my spare time I like to sleep and my favorite hobby is sleep.

why are some of these same "wonderful" ppl the most boring/dull, shallow, un-relatable, stuck up, sheltered,and messed up individuals. I know I am generalizing but is it only my school? Med students are so far from area code of exciting. But on paper they are ballers, until u meet them in person! Not to discredit so many passionate ppl who do amazing things from their heart and not just because they have to impress ppl , want fame or trying to climb up the social ladder

I don't know how I landed here and managed to assimilate in order to be where I am now I have to face these very boring ppl everyday. Even though I love medicine the people in medicine mannn
I dunno I feel like the world doesn't need more extroverts or blabber mouths who think the world is the stage to shine upon and the people the audience to see their performance. Instead I think the world needs ppl who will damn shut up and listen to "other" ideas besides, it needs ppl who are themselves, people who will not judge, who are accepting, who don't see them selves as 'gods' but see their limitations, people that are able to connect, live together, and learn from one another

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
I don't know how I landed here and managed to assimilate in order to be where I am now I have to face these very boring ppl everyday. Even though I love medicine the people in medicine mannn
I dunno I feel like the world doesn't need more extroverts or blabber mouths who think the world is the stage to shine upon and the people the audience to see their performance. Instead I think the world needs ppl who will damn shut up and listen to "other" ideas besides, it needs ppl who are themselves, people who will not judge, who are accepting, who don't see them selves as 'gods' but see their limitations, people that are able to connect, live together, and learn from one another

:lame:

You're right.

So... why are you judging and not accepting them? Why are you not learning from them?

Reactions: 15 users
I am trying too but I am not perfect haha. I don't hate them at all, and I guess it shows that we all have our faults. but I kinda just wish med school was more in touch with reality. Plus I am venting...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Med school so far
-if you are really a blabber face it is fine, but we have way too many of these ideal ppl and I don't find them always "cute" and actually makes me want to bang my head if I see another one of these
-I am daily surrounded by a million of different ppl but they are all the same to me, suffocating freakin suffocating in med school
-\resumes reads something like this " Hi I am a major BS, I am a multilingual/ crowd pleaser/ extrovert/president/opera singer/inventor/cancer researcher/olympian/wannabe save the world superman/ Mr./miss Universe/ on my spare time go to Africa to save the children/ travel to Europe on weekends/ on my down time jump out of airplanes and btw I am a pilot... makes me want to pull my hair out whenever I hear this, are you for real human? Shouldn't you run for president or be anything but a doctor?

why are some of these same "wonderful" ppl the most boring/dull, shallow, un-relatable, stuck up, sheltered,and messed up individuals. I know I am generalizing but is it only my school? Med students are so far from area code of exciting. But on paper they are ballers, until u meet them in person! Not to discredit so many passionate ppl who do amazing things from their heart and not just because they have to impress ppl , want fame or trying to climb up the social ladder

I hate ppl that spell people 'ppl'.

Stop being melodramatic and just do you, man.

Med school so far

I agree with what you said at the end, however I think it's probably too early to be so judgmental--and you should also think about the fact that you are going to be with these people for 4 years, so instead of being this negative I would do my best to make the most of it. It's too early to tell, and who knows, some of these people who annoy you now may end up becoming some of your best friends (hopefully). If not, you're in for a long ride.

Reactions: 3 users
Oh, you're go to be a pleasure to work with in PBL and clerkships. As much as you seem to dislike and despise them, they probably feel the same way about your stank attitude. Also, newsflash: Just loving medicine, from a knowledge standpoint, isn't enough - unless you plan on doing Path or maybe Rads.

You do have the perfect personality for OB-Gyn (Surgery not so much - as your male surgery co-residents will find you annoying)

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you for the reply. I am not sure how they feel about me. But I don't necessarily hate them just feel that a lot of students are out of touch from reality. We don't have PBL in our school. But whenever we work in groups ppl seem to be okay with me because I am not always trying to get my 2-cent and I am a good listener. But honestly, don't you feel students are not that relatable ?

Med school so far

I nearly had a stroke from culture shock when I first started med school. You get over it when you start hanging out with other students and realize that they're just people, and that most of them are pretty cool if you sit down and get to actually know them.

Reactions: 6 users
You are absolutely right, there are some people that I connect with in my class. However, the majority of ppl not so much. I am not trying to be negative, I am just being honest with my feelings and I don't think there is anything wrong with that. I don't think the ppl will get me through anything, but I have to somehow. I guess that is the reality of most work places, your not going to love them all

Thank you for the reply. I am not sure how they feel about me. But I don't necessarily hate them just feel that a lot of students are out of touch from reality. We don't have PBL in our school. But whenever we work in groups ppl seem to be okay with me because I am not always trying to get my 2-cent and I am a good listener. But honestly, don't you feel students are not that relatable ?
No, I feel the majority of people are relatable, regardless of the place/situation. It's like that song, "people are people.." Lol. Besides, weren't you around similar people during your pre med studies? I'm surprised that things have changed as much as they have at your current school. I think everyone reacts differently when placed in an entirely new situation..some people may become overly animated, talkative, etc..while others like yourself may become more introverted. Things will end up balancing out after a short while. Everyone's probably just nervous right now.

Reactions: 4 users
I nearly had a stroke from culture shock when I first started med school. You get over it when you start hanging out with other students and realize that they're just people, and that most of them are pretty cool if you sit down and get to actually know them.
I hope so, Thank you for your answer. I feel so lonely right now, but I guess I just need to spend more time with my classmates

Reactions: 1 users
No, I feel the majority of people are relatable, regardless of the place/situation. It's like that song, "people are people.." Lol. Besides, weren't you around similar people during your pre med studies? I'm surprised that things have changed as much as they have at your current school. I think everyone reacts differently when placed in an entirely new situation..some people may become overly animated, talkative, etc..while others like yourself may become more introverted. Things will end up balancing out after a short while. Everyone's probably just nervous right now.

your right

No. Actually our class as a whole got along quite well. People have their quirks, but it was their personality, not something malicious. You're not going to be good friends with everyone in your class. Esp. if you got to a school that takes over 200 students in one class. Everyone is new and trying to scope out where they fit in. Stop judging.

Members don't see this ad :)
You take care..things will get better in time.

I feel ya. So far I'm not that thrilled with my classmates either.

Dude, who cares what the other medical students are like? Is the sole reason you came to medical school to make friends? You come off being very bitter and jealous in this post.

I really never related to most of my medical school classmates. I am close with a few but I have friends outside of medical school I am way closer with. Maybe try to call your friends from before medical school and try to ignore the accomplishments of your peers. You aren't require to be friends with anyone but these people will one day be physicians you consult or are consulted by. You must learn to be at least tolerate them.

I have PBL and prefer to do the same as you. They're failing me in "Interpersonal and Communication Skills"

I feel the exact same way as OP
Thank god I am in my final year.

Most of my class mates are awesome on paper, but intolerable in real life. Can't hold a normal conversation to save their lives. Can't have a conversation about anything other than medical school or their accomplishments.

I feel the exact same way as OP
Thank god I am in my final year.

Most of my class mates are awesome on paper, but intolerable in real life. Can't hold a normal conversation to save their lives. Can't have a conversation about anything other than medical school or their accomplishments.

Yes, the main consequence of our "holistic" admissions is to select for narcissistic, self-promoting sociopaths and phonies. C'est la vie. But there are still good people to be found, even if they are sometimes rare.

Hmmm I'm giving this troll post 3/10 points.

Person with sh--ty attitude complaining about fellow students' attitude. Not totally original but decent effort.

Here's a life pro-tip for you: when you feel like you're surrounded by hundreds of people who all appear to suck and are annoying to be around, maybe it's you.

Reactions: 9 users
Yes, the main consequence of our "holistic" admissions is to select for narcissistic, self-promoting sociopaths and phonies. C'est la vie. But there are still good people to be found, even if they are sometimes rare.
All professional schools have narcissitic, self-promoting sociopaths, and phonies.

Person with sh--ty attitude complaining about fellow students' attitude. Not totally original but decent effort.

Here's a life pro-tip for you: when you feel like you're surrounded by hundreds of people who all appear to suck and are annoying to be around, maybe it's you.
BINGO.

Med school so far

I still feel the same way you do one year in. When they're all together (party, lecture hall, etc.) they seem like one heterogenous annoying blob. The trick is to talk to them one on one. Most people will ditch the herd mentality and you can actually have a conversation that doesn't involve how ****ing excited they are about PBL or whatever. But I'm really happiest away from school, I expect you'll probably feel the same way.

There's a bunch of people on here who need that life tip
including me

...blah blah self righteous whining...

The hypocrisy is literally burning my eyes.

I'm assuming you're a first year and just started relatively recently. I think another thing to consider is that the beginning of med school is kind of a weird time. Many people retain these complexes where they simultaneously want to be everyone's friend while also looking impressive to their peers. The social circles many had before med school have basically been destroyed and they're trying to rebuild them. As people settle down and find where they fit in the class, this form of ultra try hard mode will slowly disappear for the most part. Some people retain it, but I think a lot of this is explained by people trying to find their way, so to speak. Make a point to meet people, spend time with those you enjoy, and ignore the rest. But try and avoid being the guy that's "too cool for school." No one really likes that guy.

Reactions: 5 users

I don't find your advice useful. I don't have a sh--ty attitude, I am just venting my feelings right now. sorry I am not always miss positive perfect and every word that comes out of my mouth isn't lovely. I was just referring to the environment I am in right now. I enjoyed my undergrad & work experience. But I also see/understand now from the comments that I need to spend more time with my classmates, and really see them for who they are. But it has been a really hard experience so far everyone appears to have an air of arrogance and not as friendly/down to earth as I hoped. But I am hoping in due time that I will learn to understand where my classmates are coming from and that they will open up more.

I have PBL and prefer to do the same as you. They're failing me in "Interpersonal and Communication Skills"

yea I am glad I don't have PBL , and I am not looking forward to that type of scenario. But hopefully I will manage when the time comes

Adjusting can be rough...
You will enjoy your life a whole lot more if you stop assuming the worst in your classmates. Put yourself out there in a genuine way. Odds are many of the aren't much different than you. Hell, they might even see you as "one of those people." If you don't think they deserve the benefit of the doubt, then do it for your own benefit.

There are a lot of decent people in med school. The ****ty ones just stand out and are loud.

Just remember this is a temporary condition and it'll pass. Find one or two good friends and lean on each other. That's the only way to navigate this arduous process.

I'm assuming you're a first year and just started relatively recently. I think another thing to consider is that the beginning of med school is kind of a weird time. Many people retain these complexes where they simultaneously want to be everyone's friend while also looking impressive to their peers. The social circles many had before med school have basically been destroyed and they're trying to rebuild them. As people settle down and find where they fit in the class, this form of ultra try hard mode will slowly disappear for the most part. Some people retain it, but I think a lot of this is explained by people trying to find their way, so to speak. Make a point to meet people, spend time with those you enjoy, and ignore the rest. But try and avoid being the guy that's "too cool for school." No one really likes that guy.

I agree. Coming from a school that put me in a satellite campus for two years, we learned that we needed to adapt and become comfortable with our differences. It wasn't easy. 16 people who weren't the same...
In the end: stop judging. It's stupid and condescending. You may need them in the future. Despite how different people in my class are, I never leave them high and dry.

I agree. Coming from a school that put me in a satellite campus for two years, we learned that we needed to adapt and become comfortable with our differences. It wasn't easy. 16 people who weren't the same...
In the end: stop judging. It's stupid and condescending. You may need them in the future. Despite how different people in my class are, I never leave them high and dry.
At least you were only 16 people. I do think your med school is ridiculous for putting you guys on satellite campuses across the state with different professors in the first 2 years.

Med school so far

Hmm, bet they don't dislike you at all. Seriously, don't be so judgmental. Go out and try to socialize. Even if you think people are total idiots you should at least try to talk to them. You're stuck with these people for the next four years so you might as well try to make it the best experience possible. Plus, I'm sort of friends with some guys in my class who I originally perceived to be total and utter douchebags. Turns out they aren't. They were just hiding their real personality so no one would harshly judge them for who they are.

Reactions: 4 users
First week or two of class was unbearable with this type of person:

6ittLea.jpg

But it's seemed to have leveled off.

Last edited:
How dare you suggest that, perhaps, people are relatable and that OP isn't the only person who is not weird.

IU?

OP, i feel your pain. i've been feeling your pain for over 3 years. i can say from experience that people are more easily tolerated (and you get to know them better) in 1:1 settings or in small groups...and especially when doing non-medicine related activities.

that being said, i have to agree with some posters here with regards to your own attitude. i know there are times i've found classmates unbearable and it partly depended on my own pessimistic/overly critical views. life is painted in many shades of grey. something to consider.

i guess my point is to try not to let the scene get you down. give people a chance but don't be disappointed if you find you don't get along well with classmates. afterall, med school attracts certain characteristics in people. chances are you will find a small group of people you get along with and that will get you through the next few years. it's still early in the year and i think you can still find your crew. the people that treat everything like a talent show/popularity contest/arrogance parade/competition will keep each other busy; you don't have to participate. and don't be afraid to just treat med school like a job--in that you don't have to make tons of friends while you're here. these people are technically your coworkers/colleagues, and there's on need to be best buds with people if there's no vibe. non-work friends are some of the best friends you will ever have...something the olympians and Miss Colorado's will never understand.

hang in there.

Med school so far

No you can blame the admissions process and the way America works for bolded. The vast majority of people in med school will be stuck up brats who have had every advantage in the world so its only fitting they think they are something special and never shut up about themselves. If you search, you can find a few cool ones, a lot of the guys in our class are cool, a lot of the girls, I don't know where they got these stuck up chicks from.

Last edited:
No you can blame the admissions process and the way America works for bolded. The vast majority of people in med school will be stuck up brats who have had every advantage in the world so its only fitting they think they are something special and never shut up about themselves. If you search, you can find a few cool ones, a lot of the guys in our class are cool, a lot of the girls, I don't know where they got these stuck up chicks from.
You're shocked that high achieving students both in terms of academics and GPA are "stuck up"? Why? That huge chip on your shoulder is starting to grow into a boulder.

There are a lot of tools in med school. There's a lot of tools in medicine, so they encourage that behavior.

There are a lot of tools in med school. There's a lot of tools in medicine, so they encourage that behavior.
There are a lot of tools in many professions. Hubris is not limited just to Medicine.

There are a lot of tools in many professions. Hubris is not limited just to Medicine.
Yes, but "many professions" don't pontificate their specialness to the entire public as much as medicine. Then come to find out most people in it are so vanilla.