My Medical School "Breakfast Club"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

plusminus

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Think back to highschool.....

Divide your highschool class into 25% nerds, 25% preps, 25% jocks, and 25% rebels.

Now take the 25% nerds, send them to medical school, and re-divide them into 25% nerds, 25% preps, 25% jocks, 25% rebels.

This is my medical school. I am a prep...I think.

Members don't see this ad.

*lets her nerd flag fly*

It takes a special type to be a nerd at med school. The type that cracks Monty Python and Invader Zim jokes during MD lab, to be exact. :D

plusminus said:

Divide your highschool class into 25% nerds, 25% preps, 25% jocks, and 25% rebels.

Now take the 25% nerds, send them to medical school, and re-divide them into 25% nerds, 25% preps, 25% jocks, 25% rebels.

Actually the breakdown at your and all med schools is going to be 25% nerds who know they are nerds, and 75% nerds who delusionally think they are, by comparison, preps, jocks or rebels. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Law2Doc said:
Actually the breakdown at your and all med schools is going to be 25% nerds who know they are nerds, and 75% nerds who delusionally think they are, by comparison, preps, jocks or rebels. :laugh:

You are right on!

plusminus said:
You are right on!

Don't feel too bad though -- if you are a jock wannabee you become an orthopod and can still hang out with the cool kids. If you fancy yourself a wannabee prep perhaps you go into plastics and help that crowd get those perfect turned up noses, and they may invite you to the club. Not sure what specialty a rebel wannabee would go into but it probably involves sticking something up someone's orifice.

plusminus said:

We double-positive nerds prefer the term 'geek,' as in "He's a geek's geek," thank you very much! :laugh:

Law2Doc said:
Don't feel too bad though -- if you are a jock wannabee you become an orthopod and can still hang out with the cool kids. If you fancy yourself a wannabee prep perhaps you go into plastics and help that crowd get those perfect turned up noses, and they may invite you to the club. Not sure what specialty a rebel wannabee would go into but it probably involves sticking something up someone's orifice.
:laugh: :laugh:

ughhhhhhh. oh whatever. So not looking forward to meeting a bunch of former premeds and making PC chit chat.

RxnMan said:
We double-positive nerds prefer the term 'geek,' as in "He's a geek's geek," thank you very much! :laugh:

I have a very strong geek pedigree with my undergrad Elec Engineering degree. We always said, 'you can't spell gEEk without a EE'.

Actually, first day of orientation yesterday, there was a distinct difference between groups at lunch. (Obviously a small fraction of the whole class)

The table a few feet away was a large group of people who fit the loud, popular people mold. I was sitting with a smaller group of people who don't fit that category. Honest to G-d, you could hear them talking about who they knew in what fraternity or sorority.

Members don't see this ad :)
This thread is awesome, I have no idea why it appeals to me so much :thumbup:

</pointless post>

Church said:
Honest to G-d, you could hear them talking about who they knew in what fraternity or sorority.

just reading that sentence makes me want to poke myself in the eye

Church said:
The table a few feet away was a large group of people who fit the loud, popular people mold. I was sitting with a smaller group of people who don't fit that category. Honest to G-d, you could hear them talking about who they knew in what fraternity or sorority.

what's wrong with that?

Church said:
...you could hear them talking about who they knew in what fraternity or sorority.
chopper said:
I have a very strong geek pedigree with my undergrad Elec Engineering degree. We always said, 'you can't spell gEEk without a EE'.
oompa loompa said:
ughhhhhhh. oh whatever. So not looking forward to meeting a bunch of former premeds and making PC chit chat.
Law2Doc said:
if you are a jock wannabee you become an orthopod and can still hang out with the cool kids.
I was an active member of my fraternity, I've worked as an engineer, I love Fight Club for it's philosphy, and I love being active. Upon arriving at orientation, I expect to be drawn and quartered.

plusminus said:

haha. this reminds me of my undergrad, uchicago, where the social ladder is such that when you go there, you move up at least a rung from where you were in high school. A friend of mine who was a huge nerd, possibly even a dork in high school went to uchicago and ended up being a pretty cool jock. Ahh, such is the social scene at a school where you are taking honors bio with a frat boy/football player and he's kicking your ass on the exams.

what about the quiet weirdo? there were five of them in the breakfast club. hm yeah they're always forgotten..maybe because they are so silent...

I was a frat guy. Did nothing but party in college. Got my act together. Had a very cool/fun career/job for a few year. Got into medical school.

Frat guys are the silent assasins in your class. Trust me. I've seen it happen.

challie2385 said:
what about the quiet weirdo? there were five of them in the breakfast club. hm yeah they're always forgotten..maybe because they are so silent...

I believe that the breakfast club technically consisted of:

The princess (Molly Ringwald)
The jock (Emilio Estevez)
The brain (Anthony Michael Hall)
The criminal (Judd Nelson)
The basket case (Ally Sheedy)

Have I seen this movie way too many times? Yes.

:oops:

my daddy says I am a princess.