My new list of schools.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FattySlug

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My app:
CA resident.
3.66 cGPA
3.66 sGPA
MCAT:
8VR 14PS 10BS N May 2010
8VR 11PS 11BS M July 2010
10VR 12PS 11BS M May 2011

Extra:
Volunteer at SOS free clinic for the low income. 256 hrs (very good letter of rec)

Go to elementary and middle schools to do presentation about skin cancer awareness. 150 hrs = lots of presentations I lost counts. (spotaspot.org) (good letter of rec)

Volunteer in Adaptive PE. I help people with disability or who is recovering from serious injury exercise. (Lost touch w person in charge)

2 yrs of research in mRNA modification.

Very good letters of rec from 3 other professors. 1 non science and 2 science.

My list of schools:
In state: UC Davis, UCI, UCLA and USC.
OOS: U of Wisconsin
NYMC
Georgetown
U of Miami
Loyola
U of Iowa
Tulane
Boston U
GWU
Florida Atlantic
NY Down State
Stony Brook
Temple

Questions:
1) I don't know if my list is top/bottom heavy or whatever so please comment and make any suggestions.

2) Some schools have required classes that I have not taken. Like humanities and such. I am guessing maybe 1 or 2 classes at the most. Is it possible to take it after I am accepted? I am working full time so I would rather not go to night classes unless I have to.

3) My professor at the research lab is not a very social person. I was there for 2 years and we rarely spoke so I decided not to get his letter of rec. The person next in charge who knows me well only has BS degree and has since changed career. Do you think I should ask my professor for letter of rec. or just let this one slide? We didn't achieve anything significant in the lab even though he was satisfied with my work. I don't feel like adding an average letter but feel like my 2 years was wasted.

4) How many secondary people usually complete to be considered apply broadly?

Thank you so much for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

My app:
CA resident.
3.66 cGPA
3.66 sGPA
MCAT:
8VR 14PS 10BS N May 2010
8VR 11PS 11BS M July 2010
10VR 12PS 11BS M May 2011

Extra:
Volunteer at SOS free clinic for the low income. 256 hrs (very good letter of rec)

Go to elementary and middle schools to do presentation about skin cancer awareness. 150 hrs = lots of presentations I lost counts. (spotaspot.org) (good letter of rec)

Volunteer in Adaptive PE. I help people with disability or who is recovering from serious injury exercise. (Lost touch w person in charge)

2 yrs of research in mRNA modification.

Very good letters of rec from 3 other professors. 1 non science and 2 science.

My list of schools:
In state: UC Davis, UCI, UCLA and USC.
OOS: U of Wisconsin
NYMC
Georgetown
U of Miami
Loyola
U of Iowa
Tulane
Boston U
GWU
Florida Atlantic
NY Down State
Stony Brook
Temple

Questions:
1) I don't know if my list is top/bottom heavy or whatever so please comment and make any suggestions.

2) Some schools have required classes that I have not taken. Like humanities and such. I am guessing maybe 1 or 2 classes at the most. Is it possible to take it after I am accepted? I am working full time so I would rather not go to night classes unless I have to.

3) My professor at the research lab is not a very social person. I was there for 2 years and we rarely spoke so I decided not to get his letter of rec. The person next in charge who knows me well only has BS degree and has since changed career. Do you think I should ask my professor for letter of rec. or just let this one slide? We didn't achieve anything significant in the lab even though he was satisfied with my work. I don't feel like adding an average letter but feel like my 2 years was wasted.

4) How many secondary people usually complete to be considered apply broadly?

Thank you so much for your help.

I'll answer a few right now..

2) A lot of 3rd year undergrads apply knowing they'll complete all the reqs that 4th year, and many did just fine

3) You can have it written by the next-in-charge, but get it cosigned by your research professor

4) there is no hard and fast number, or at least varies person to person, my guess is 20-30.