My new prospective employer won't pay my license and DEA - is that normal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bomgd3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey folks, I'm a newish hospitalist about 1.5 out of residency. I'm moving to a different state because of my wife's job, and my prospective employer will not pay my DEA or state license. It's about $1100 total. Is that common practice in certain areas of the country? When I got my first job out of residency, they reimbursed DEA, license, boards, etc. no-questions-asked. I was a little insulted that the new job won't pay for these things since it's really a drop in the bucket and maybe a sign of good faith, but I'm not sure if maybe that's just how certain regions work customarily? Please let me know what your experiences were. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Do they pay more than others for cme? That would be the only trade off I would accept...

Members don't see this ad :)
This should be negotiable prior to signing your contract similar to moving expenses, bonuses, etc.

Not sure what the norm is, but just for another data point, I had to pay for my license, but employer paid for federal DEA (I paid for state which was like $5 or something). Employer does pay for license renewal, but I had to get the initial license.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes. Usually places that don't cover that give you a larger CME stipend.

I had a job that did cover DEA, specialty society membership and state license. My CME allowance per year was $2,000.

My current job does not pay for anything at all, and my CME allowance is $5,000.