My nightmare experience with Western University of Health Sciences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted815655

Hello everyone, I am a graduate of Western University of Health Science's pharmacy school, and I wanted to tell everyone regarding my experience, because I just can't seem to forget how incompetent the pharmacy administration is.

I UNFORTUNATELY graduated from Western pharmacy school. In my first year, There were students circulating previous-year exams, and in certain courses, some exams were pretty similar to previous years. In addition, I found some of the Professors and the Dean of the College of Pharmacy (Dean Robinson) to be very unprofessional, and careless to student's needs. One day, I called the financial aid office to ask regarding a student body fee, and when they were NOT able to provide me with an answer as to why I had to pay that fee, I hung up the phone, which is my LEGAL RIGHT to terminate ANY conversation without saying "goodbye." Immediately afterwards I received an email from the pharmacy student director yelling at me that what I did was unprofessional, and that if it happened again that they would report me to the student performance committee, which is ridiculous. It was undeniably a scare tactic to silence me, and unprofessionally intimidate me, which is barbaric.

In my first year, a Professor who I had filed a complaint against for not giving me the points I deserved on a final exam just decided that he was not going to respond to my complaint, and to make matters worse, the student performance committee sent me a letter saying "to call a Professor unprofessional is unprofessional." It was as if these incompetent idiots were trying to silence me when ONCE AGAIN I had the legal right to file a complaint against a clearly unprofessional Professor who thought he was above the law ,and got away with NOT responding to my complaint.

In my third year, before I went off to my useless Pharmacy rotations, I was told by the assistant Dean then, that I could NOT remediate an exam that I had failed and that I would have to repeat a year. So when I didn't study for the remediation exam and failed he told me if I would have passed, they would have let me go on to my pharmacy rotations. They were inept, extremely incompetent and clearly confused. Because of their lack of common sense, they WASTED a year of my life. So when I came back, the arrogant incompetent Dean told me I have to repeat courses that I didn't fail, because they were implementing a new GPA rule, they changed the rules on me. This is clearly a breach of contract. I should have sued them then, but I didn't have my law degree yet, and like most students, I was afraid of challenging them at a time when I was still a student at that disgusting school. While I should not have failed that course, this should never have happened to me. I should have been able to take the remediation exam, and moved on to my pharmacy rotations.

In my HIV rotation, my unprofessional Professor, who was the most bitter and hostile person I have ever met, failed me because she didn't want to take on any students, and my presence was a nuisance to her, and she told me "I don't know why you don't get this, you're not ******ed."

First, it's wildly inappropriate to state the word "******ed" in any setting nowadays, as this is an outdated, derogatory, and hurtful word. Second, many organizations have abolished this term, and for a supervisor to say this to a student, is not only demeaning, but sets a horribly disgusting example. Had I been the one to say the word "******ed" I would have been immediately kicked out of the rotation and most likely received a harsh response from the university's administration wildly inappropriate to state the word "******ed" in any setting nowadays, as this is an outdated, derogatory, and hurtful word. Second, many organizations have abolished this term, and for a supervisor to say this to a student, is not only demeaning, but sets a horribly disgusting example. Had I been the one to say the word "******ed" I would have been immediately kicked out of the rotation and most likely received a harsh response from the university's administration.

I would NOT recommend this inferior school to my worst enemy. I had a nightmare experience here. I should have NEVER applied to Western University of Health Sciences. It was an outrageously negative experience that I turned into a positive one. But I should have studied harder and applied to schools ranked higher to receive my Doctorate degree.

Later, I read an article on Yahoo news that stated that Western University of Health Sciences is the #20 school that contributes to MOST of the student loans in the US. This school in my opinion places more emphasis on money than the quality of education that it provides.

I would recommend to anyone thinking of applying to this school to try and get accepted to a higher ranked school, where professors aren't so rude and will treat & speak to students with respect, and actually know what breach of contract is, so they don't negatively impact student's lives.

All in all, I found this poor excuse of a school to be the worst academic experience I've ever had. It was the worst years of my life. I filed a complaint against this school with the Bureau of Post Secondary Private Education (BPPE). I will always hate WesternU and the incompetent Dean of the Pharmacy School, Dean Robinson. It will always be the worst 5 years of my entire life. I got a LAW degree after graduating from Western, and then got a degree from an Ivy League university, which was a great experience, since the professors were classy, educated, and confident (great program). My Ivy experience was literally everything that WesternU was not, and will NEVER be.

I recently discovered that this disgraceful school is no longer required to respond to the Bureau of Post Secondary Private Education, so I would urge those students who have been wronged by WesternU to contact the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC). I will now be filing my complaint with this regulatory agency.

I recently discovered that this disgraceful school is no longer required to respond to the Bureau of Post Secondary Private Education, so I would urge those students who have been wronged by WesternU to contact the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC). I will now be filing my complaint with this regulatory agency.

Best of luck to you all

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
"There were students circulating previous-year exams, and in certain courses, some exams were pretty similar to previous years."

I've heard this several times amongst one particular ethnicity (won't state the ethnicity that majorly was attributed to this statement, was also seen @ SMC and UCLA):annoyed:, that just hurts the student in the long run making them clueless pharmacists

There are complaints on both USC and Western's pharmacy school program :wtf:, maybe one of the new schools in CA are better:thinking:

Reactions: 1 user
It's pretty obvious what ethnicity you're talking about lol

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I got a LAW degree after graduating from Western

Off topic, but how was this experience? I'm considering getting my JD after my PharmD and truly am having a hard time finding anyone who has done this. Good idea? Possible job opportunities? Sorry to bombard you with questions, I'm just curious!

Just wondering, WHEN was your experience with this university? Minimum 6 to maybe 8 years ago (if you didn't have to go back and get your law pre-reqs) if you did Law school and a degree from an Ivy League school. Why come back 6-8 years after your experience to complain?

Either it is really that bad or op is an alternate. The former is more likely though due to two year old yelp review.
Just wondering, WHEN was your experience with this university? Minimum 6 to maybe 8 years ago (if you didn't have to go back and get your law pre-reqs) if you did Law school and a degree from an Ivy League school. Why come back 6-8 years after your experience to complain?