1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

My "oopsy" moments at interview.

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by aquafreshlovin, Jan 3, 2009.

1. aquafreshlovin

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Soooo I had an interview where I was the very first one to go on that day.

Interviewer:"So we received 5 LORs from you and we only accept 4. Tell me which ones you want us to read".

Me: "I am sorry, but could you please tell me their names so I can choose?". What the heck...my mind became blank at that exact moment and couldn't remember their names. WOW!!!

Another one - the dentist who wrote me a LOR lives far away from me. I met him at a dental clinic where I used to volunteer.

Interviewer: "so how did you get hooked up with a dentist that lives in Something Island?"

Once again, my mind became blank as I replied: "I am sorry?"

Interviewer: (dumbfounded look on his face) "You know, the dentist that wrote you the LOR".

I had NO idea that the dentist lives in that location... :scared:

Please tell me that didn't ruin my chance of getting in. :scared::scared::scared:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. WhyNOT111

WhyNOT111 USC Dentistry 2013
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Im thinking yes and no. you can never be sure what you did wrong etc.

you have the right to be nervous but then again, you should have remembered your the people who wrote your LOR.

4. Ranelar

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Whenever people in my interview groups asked current students for advice before hand, the answer was always, "Don't say anything stupid."

5. rewJW

rewJW surviving
    5+ Year Member

Dentist
    Well, all you can do is wait and see. But you asked for opinions, and mine is that it will probably hurt you. You should be familiar with everything in your application when going into an interview.

6. Northside

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    What's done is done. It's important that you learn from your mistakes if you have more interviews to attend. My advice is to take a moment and think about what you want to say before actually saying the first thing that comes to your mind, even if it's a simple question.

7. aquafreshlovin

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Thanks for being honest guys. I had about 8-9 different people who wrote me LORs and just couldn't remember the ones I've used for this particular school. But yes, it was definitely my fault. Just hoping for the best!

8. doc3232

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    The first one, I think is ok. You just seemed weird to me.

The second one, it depends. Did you say I'm sorry as in "what did you say? I didn't hear" or did you pause first?
    If the former, then it's cool as long as it looked natural.

9. tjdent

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Did your interviewer seem like a nice normal person? Many im sure have seen worse from a nervous applicant. I doubt this was a game-changer. Best case scenario is being a little bit nervous could make you endearing to the doc interviewing you.