My opinion: EK 101 Is NOT the best

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Scotty knows

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My lowest section the last time I took the MCAT was in verbal. I used only Kaplan and I never went back and reviewed my answers after I took the AAMC tests (young, naive, stupid, but incredibly handsome). Now after I take an AAMC I spend a up to four hours reviewing the verbal sections. What I have found is that you CANNOT answer these questions by rote dependance on understanding of the Main Idea. Each passage will have one, possibly two MI questions. The rest are specific details or specific inferences. For these you have to refer back to the passage, I don't think there is anyway around it.

Now each company has their own take on the MCAT verbal, and from what I noticed EK takes the route of suggesting that you should take the MI and tone and go with it. Princeton Review emphasizes details (for those who have taken the class the ICC questions are nearly all specific). Kaplan also focuses on specific references, however their question types are ******ed and you are only fooling yourself with their sh%&, I mean quality material that they charge 2000 dollars for.

Now, I must note that I have a few months to go before the big dance and I don't remember the actual verbal section from my last MCAT (it's all a big bad blur). Also, I have just noticed these patterns from AAMC 3,4,6 and the Official Guide. New tests may be more inference and MI driven, but from what I have seen if you know where the details are and you locate the right line you got the question right. EK DOES NOT follow this AT ALL but Princeton does.

Is EK great practice, yes, but is the most productive way to mirror the real MCAT?

Members don't see this ad.

so, what strategy would you recommend? I'm going to try out different ones, including from ek, tpr, kaplan and the various verbal threads.

Members don't see this ad :)
so, what strategy would you recommend? I'm going to try out different ones, including from ek, tpr, kaplan and the various verbal threads.

Personally? I suck at reading (which is weird because I can write well) so I just read a logical reasoning and a reading comprehension book for the LSAT. They basically tell you what the right answers "look" like.

Some people don't recommend it because the passages/questions are supposedly different. After having experience with both, I can see that there are a few differences but the majority of it is the same. Logic is logic and it hasn't changed over time.

So what does the right answer look like? I couldn't get my hand on a LSAT book