My Opinions on the New MCAT and Question on What is a"Good" 2015 MCAT Score?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rishikish

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright guys, the AAMC posted the new MCAT scores a couple of months back (https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/mcat/mcat2015/mcat2015scores/). I wanted to know what is considered a good score for people like me who will be taking the new MCAT? A score of 30+ is the golden score many premeds aim for and balanced section scores, but this new MCAT is out of 528 instead of 45. Another thing is that I am not that stressed out about this MCAT, the AAMC has said "...the new section scores have some imprecision..." as well as the fact that med schools have no way of comparing previous scores since other tests did not have four sections and the kinks like this one will. Honestly, I feel like the class of 2016 will just be guinea pigs when it comes to taking this test. Although we should study hard for this test, I feel as though the new MCAT will be less emphasized for 1-2 years and there will be more focus on cGPA, sGPA, and any extracurricular/experience that helps you stand out if you are going into the class of 2016. I'd love to here your opinions!

Members don't see this ad.

Alright guys, the AAMC posted the new MCAT scores a couple of months back (https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/mcat/mcat2015/mcat2015scores/). I wanted to know what is considered a good score for people like me who will be taking the new MCAT? A score of 30+ is the golden score many premeds aim for and balanced section scores, but this new MCAT is out of 528 instead of 45. Another thing is that I am not that stressed out about this MCAT, the AAMC has said "...the new section scores have some imprecision..." as well as the fact that med schools have no way of comparing previous scores since other tests did not have four sections and the kinks like this one will. Honestly, I feel like the class of 2016 will just be guinea pigs when it comes to taking this test. Although we should study hard for this test, I feel as though the new MCAT will be less emphasized for 1-2 years and there will be more focus on cGPA, sGPA, and any extracurricular/experience that helps you stand out if you are going into the class of 2016. I'd love to here your opinions!
Yeah sucks for you guys

LOL. No. The MCAT will not be deemphasized for 1-2 years. It is the only standard to which all applicants are at a level playing field. AAMC is not foolish and although I don't like the changes to the new MCAT, they wouldn't have made them if they didn't feel that they would be used as a solid indicator than cGPA/sGPA just like the current MCAT.

GPAs vary highly across institutions.

Reactions: 1 user