My parents are worried about my MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Lets clarify this.
OOS 49 matriculate of 5198 applicants = 0.94%
IS 117 matticulants of 5641 applicants = 2.07%

Instate is about 2x OOS. It is an excellent ratio for a state school
Now I have to think if I can bear the lack of winter in Los Angeles and San Diego

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Are your parents immigrants or first generation college students? My mom is 1st generation. She doesn't understand why I don't plan my residency for Harvard. It takes years to make her understand that in my field, Boston is not best.

Are your parents immigrants or first generation college students? My mom is 1st generation. She doesn't understand why I don't plan my residency for Harvard. It takes years to make her understand that in my field, Boston is not best.
Immigrants, yes. Hit the nail on the head. Anything that is not Harvard, Tufts, Yale, mayybee Johns Hopkins, is unknown no-name and offbrand.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lets clarify this.

lmao...yep, I took a quick look at the numbers and divided wrong. :eek: Point still being, UCLA does take a fair amount of OOS.

Now I have to think if I can bear the lack of winter in Los Angeles and San Diego
There is a winter in LA and SD...it rains 5 or 6 times! AND...sometimes it even gets below 50 at night! :p

Reactions: 3 users
Thanks. Yes, I started with 55 schools and am down to around 30 schools. Here is my list so far.

NYU
UPenn
Columbia
HMS
Yale
Stanford
Sinai
Cornell
Case
BU
Pitt
Brown
Emory
Eistein
Hofstra
Roch
Dartmouth
Keck
UMass
Thomas Jefferson
Tufts
Georgetown
Temple
Albany Medical College
Penn State
NYMC
Quinnipiac
GW
Drexel

Way too many reaches? I fear so, but I feel like I have a good number of mid tiers as well. Let me know what you think

For what it's worth, I have almost identical stats to you, am in-state in MA, and have received 7 IIs this cycle. All 7 were to schools on your list (but none to those top 6 uber reaches)

Lets clarify this.

Also worth nothing that 5641 applicants IS and 626 interviews (11.1%)
OOS 5198 applicants 310 interviews (6%)...also 2x for the home team!

I feel like it would be way harder to get a merit-based full tuition scholarship at a top 20 than an Ivy league admission (except those outside of the top 20 for comparison's sake). This begs the question: would you encourage him to give up an Ivy league admission for a full (or even near total) scholarship at any US MD school?

My answer would be yes.
I would again encourage him to try for top 20 medical school with scholarship over Ivy league medical school if he gets into both.

Get your parents to the doctors and tell them to get off drugs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also worth nothing that 5641 applicants IS and 626 interviews (11.1%)
OOS 5198 applicants 310 interviews (6%)...also 2x for the home team!
Yep, and almost a perfect 50-50 male/female split. It's pretty obvious UCLA has specific quotas in place when seating their class.

Reactions: 1 users
I would again encourage him to try for top 20 medical school with scholarship over Ivy league medical school if he gets into both.

Again, I asked any US MD school (could be top 30, 40, 50 – point is, rank agnostic) with scholarship vs. Ivy league.

Again, I asked any US MD school (could be top 30, 40, 50 – point is, rank agnostic) with scholarship vs. Ivy league.
I will take ANY US MD school with full scholarship over even Harvard. Example: I would take Albany Medical School full ride over Harvard, UMass over Columbia et cetera. UNLESS it was full ride vs half or three quarters ride. Then it'd be different.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
we will trade Ivy league med school with top 30 medical school with good scholarship. Will he have that choice is TBD :) He is a Sophomore only.

I will take ANY US MD school with full scholarship over even Harvard. Example: I would take Albany Medical School full ride over Harvard, UMass over Columbia et cetera. UNLESS it was full ride vs half or three quarters ride. Then it'd be different.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using SDN mobile

Don’t have anything to add but I love your profile pic! Haven’t had bimbo in sooooo long

Don’t have anything to add but I love your profile pic! Haven’t had bimbo in sooooo long
We all need some bread in our lives. Go, brethren, take of some sliced bread and make thyself a peanut butter and Nutella sandwich. Enjoyeth.

Reactions: 2 users
we will trade Ivy league med school with top 30 medical school with good scholarship. Will he have that choice is TBD :) He is a Sophomore only.

Hm good to know that you have arbitrarily selected top 30. Although I disagree with your logic, I wish you and your son the best. I really hope you are happy with whatever medical school he goes to.

If I tell them those four schools names, they will look at me funny. They literally have no idea about any medical school except Harvard and Tufts (oddly enough) and maybe UMASS

Kind of funny because those schools are in very different tiers, especially if you're talking to people outside of the NE area.

Immigrants, yes. Hit the nail on the head. Anything that is not Harvard, Tufts, Yale, mayybee Johns Hopkins, is unknown no-name and offbrand.

This is one of the dumbest things I've heard in regards to medical schools. Your parents seem to not understand that there's a world outside of the NE and that in many other parts of the country other names (Stanford, Wash U, Mayo, U Chicago, UTSW, etc) hold just as much "name brand" as the schools you've listed. Especially Tufts, how that makes the list over JHU baffles me...

Its weird seeing almost an entire thread dedicated to "Ivy" medical schools when the label is meaningless within medicine, and not predictive of program quality like it is with undergraduate programs. Even if you really care about the largely useless USnews rankings (which you really, really shouldn't) half the Ivy medical schools aren't even ranked within the top 20.

It just comes across as a bit ridiculous to talk about any top 20 medical school as needing to provide a scholarship to "elevate" themselves to the perceived stature of an "ivy league school", as if without the scholarship they would be somehow lesser in any way.

Reactions: 2 users
It’s not unusual for immigrants to think this way. It happened to me—we knew the name Harvard before moving to the states, but none of the others. Therefore none of the others mattered.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Same. Nothing mattered outside of Harvard, Yale, Princeton, and MIT.

This is one of the dumbest things I've heard in regards to medical schools. Your parents seem to not understand that there's a world outside of the NE and that in many other parts of the country other names
How many of us U.S. citizens and residents know the top schools in England outside of Oxford and Cambridge? Or that other schools even exist there? Or that there are other schools in France besides the Sorbonne. Actually, I think those are the only three universities in Europe.

Kind of funny because those schools are in very different tiers, especially if you're talking to people outside of the NE area.

This is one of the dumbest things I've heard in regards to medical schools. Your parents seem to not understand that there's a world outside of the NE and that in many other parts of the country other names (Stanford, Wash U, Mayo, U Chicago, UTSW, etc) hold just as much "name brand" as the schools you've listed. Especially Tufts, how that makes the list over JHU baffles me...
To be honest, no one knows anything whatsoever about tiers outside of people in academics and medicine. For the average Joe walking around today, what are the best schools? Harvard and MIT. For someone living in the Mass area? Harvard Med school, Tufts med school. BU Med school? What's that? Seriously! I've had these conversations with people and its fascinating...

Its weird seeing almost an entire thread dedicated to "Ivy" medical schools when the label is meaningless within medicine, and not predictive of program quality like it is with undergraduate programs. Even if you really care about the largely useless USnews rankings (which you really, really shouldn't) half the Ivy medical schools aren't even ranked within the top 20.

It just comes across as a bit ridiculous to talk about any top 20 medical school as needing to provide a scholarship to "elevate" themselves to the perceived stature of an "ivy league school", as if without the scholarship they would be somehow lesser in any way.
yes, ranking matters more for immigrants. Our friends and family questioned for rejecting 2 top 10 schools (including an Ivy) for top 15 school with full tuition scholarships. I also think medical school ranking does matter in terms of getting residencies, fellowships and jobs. In urban areas most private practices are being bought out by big hospitals and doctors are becoming salaried employees.

Hm good to know that you have arbitrarily selected top 30. Although I disagree with your logic, I wish you and your son the best. I really hope you are happy with whatever medical school he goes to.
The reason I said top 30 is he rejected 7 yr BS/MD admission from BU (ranked 29/26). We were willing to pay full price but he chose to go traditional route to a school which gave full-tuition scholarship. No parental pressure here :)

It’s not unusual for immigrants to think this way. It happened to me—we knew the name Harvard before moving to the states, but none of the others. Therefore none of the others mattered.
Same. Nothing mattered outside of Harvard, Yale, Princeton, and MIT.

How many of us U.S. citizens and residents know the top schools in England outside of Oxford and Cambridge? Or that other schools even exist there? Or that there are other schools in France besides the Sorbonne. Actually, I think those are the only three universities in Europe.
To be honest, no one knows anything whatsoever about tiers outside of people in academics and medicine. For the average Joe walking around today, what are the best schools? Harvard and MIT. For someone living in the Mass area? Harvard Med school, Tufts med school. BU Med school? What's that? Seriously! I've had these conversations with people and its fascinating...

Which was my point entirely, both in terms of recognition of Harvard and ignorance of "elite" status of Tufts. Name brand is a big deal to the general public, so everyone will know Harvard, Yale, JHU, etc. I thought it was ironic that they believed that Tufts and UMass (of which UMass is actually probably the better med school) could even be mentioned in the same breath as Harvard while JHU was "eh, maybe it's elite" to these people. Go to the midwest and people will laugh if you say Tufts is as elite as UChicago or WashU or Michigan. The west coast will laugh if you compare Tufts to Stanford or UCLA. The South thinks Vandy and Emory are elite and would likely have no clue about Tufts. My point there was that there are the truly elite programs by reputation, then there are the ones whose prestige is inflated (or ignored) depending on geographic region.

It's ignorance plain and simple, and great evidence as to why one should ignore the opinions of those people when deciding where to attend school.

What on earth makes you think that? Just because someone’s parents are expecting a high MCAT score from their child does not mean the child is going into medicine for their parents. Maybe you should take a look at your critical reasoning skills before you ask others to think critically

I apologize. I didn't mean it that way. Though I would argue that if someone's parents pushed them towards Harvard, then they may have pressured them into medicine to begin with (my definitive position on this correlation was a communication mistake on my part). And if OP decides that it doesn't apply to him (which he did) and he wants to go into medicine because he likes it, well then good for him.

I'm extremely curious as to why you turned this into a personal attack? I'd like to know what triggered you so much. Seriously.