My past grades are haunting me! End of my medical career ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted898680

Hello guys, unfortunately i have been awaken by a harsh reality of my GPA

bear with me here please.

In the past i had no goals in my mind and i was having rough time when i was taking my classes. i am 25 at the moment and i am talking about the courses that i took 6-7 years ago where i had couple of F's and D's totaling for 10 bad grades. i have repeated couple of them where i got B's and 1 C. but those classes were only math and chemistry.

i took a break from school and rejoined in a different university 2 year ago. where i did very well, and i will be graduating this may with a GPA of 3.6 and science GPA 3.3 only from current institution.

and if i add all the courses from the past that i did good on without including F's and D's coz my university does not count them. my science GPA comes up to 3.05 exactly. i have improved a lot lately and i have shadowing experience and volunteering experience at the hospital. and good letters of recommendation and i am prepping for my MCAT test.

But now my biggest delima at the moment is my past grades are haunting me and AAMCAS is including all my F's and D's. my GPA has fallen to 2.5 drastically! even though i have shown enough improvement! my first option was to do my master after i graduate but i thought how can i improve a 2.5 gpa with masters itself ? i am thinking to extend my graduation date and take some easy bio courses to improve to atleast 3.0 including all the grades. but it gonna take some time and effort and then do my masters to show more improvement.

I felt like this is very unfair on medical schools part. anyone can relate to this ? anyone has any great suggestions ? or should i just jump to a masters program ?

i was also looking into SMP but they only except people with 3.0 or above. idk if their master program will include my F's and D's into their accepting GPA's.

any help or input would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sorry to say, but a lot of people want to go to medical school and the schools can afford to be picky, often to the point of ignoring qualified candidates that would absolutely make good doctors.

3.0 is the bottom GPA for being looking at. Your strong upward trend will absolutely show you to be a better candidate than most 3.0s if you get to that point.
How many credits do you have going into this 2.5? What would it take to get to get to 3.0, assuming you make all As? Determining if you can get to 3.0 in a mathematically reasonable amount of time is the first step on determining your path.

Reactions: 1 user
@Jeff_xd Life isn't fair. You want medical schools to throw you a bone when the reason why everyone wants to get into medical school is because of selectivity in its admission process. If a 2.5 was the new standard for admission, then who would medical schools be excluding?

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
@Jeff_xd Life isn't fair. You want medical schools to throw you a bone when the reason why everyone wants to get into medical school is because of selectivity in its admission process. If a 2.5 was the new standard for admission, then who would medical schools be excluding?

Obviously you have not read my post clearly and jump to conclusions and being ignorant. By unfair i mean adding my previously bad grades, specifically the F’s i have received. And i did retake those and got good grades. There is no reason to add that F or D towards my GPA which looks unfair to me.

Obviously you have not read my post clearly and jump to conclusions and being ignorant. By unfair i mean adding my previously bad grades, specifically the F’s i have received. And i did retake those and got good grades. There is no reason to add that F or D towards my GPA which looks unfair to me.

Can I ask how that is unfair?
It would be great if you could just exclude low grades, but it doesn;t work like that.

Reactions: 10 users
I'm sorry to say, but a lot of people want to go to medical school and the schools can afford to be picky, often to the point of ignoring qualified candidates that would absolutely make good doctors.

3.0 is the bottom GPA for being looking at. Your strong upward trend will absolutely show you to be a better candidate than most 3.0s if you get to that point.
How many credits do you have going into this 2.5? What would it take to get to get to 3.0, assuming you make all As? Determining if you can get to 3.0 in a mathematically reasonable amount of time is the first step on determining your path.

Thanks for your reply. I have about 120 credit hours including all my F’s and D’s. I am on a premedical track. I would need around 14-20 classes of atleast 3 credit hours to push it up. This is based on the recent aamcas excel gpa calculator.

Throwing yourself into a pit and then taking incremental steps to reach the moon is admirable. Complaining that no one will go out of the way to throw some rope or cheer for you is delusional. If you don't realize that you getting a seat out of pity takes away that seat from someone else who didn't shoot themselves in the foot then the process is correct in barring you from entry at your current level of awareness.

Reactions: 7 users
Can I ask how that is unfair?
It would be great if you could just exclude low grades, but it doesn;t work like that.

We are not debating here to talk why things are unfair. I am here to find solutions from other users who are in similar situations. If you dont have any great advise to add on here then you should probably move on...

We are not debating here to talk why things are unfair. I am here to find solutions from other users who are in similar situations. If you dont have any great advise to add on here then you should probably move on...

Geez, I asked a question...
welcome to SDN.

Reactions: 6 users
Throwing yourself into a pit and then taking incremental steps to reach the moon is admirable. Complaining that no one will go out of the way to throw some rope or cheer for you is delusional. If you don't realize that you getting a seat out of pity takes away that seat from someone else who didn't shoot themselves in the foot then the process is correct in barring you from entry at your current level of awareness.

Until one day you fell into similar situation and cry for help.

I cant take anyone seriously who keeps editing his post. And your post sound very delusional. And peole who talk like that fall into similar situations in life, then realize how that feels. Move on troll...

Until one day you fell into similar situation and cry for help. I cant take anyone seriously who keeps editing his post. And your post sound very delusional. And peole who talk like that fall into similar situations in life, then realize how that feels. Move on troll...
If the person behind your computer screen is currently employed or ends up in a direct patient care role, don't treat your patients like a joke.

If the person behind your computer screen is currently employed or ends up in a direct patient care role, don't treat your patients like a joke.

Looks like SDN forum has been hijacked by bunch of trolls and cry babies. Raging each other and what not. Lol what can ya expect from an online forum where dogs are free to roam around and bark. Idk what happened to all those intellectual people who used to answer here. RIP SDN.

A masters (excluding a SMP) will have minimal impact on med school admissions and no impact on your gpa. Graduate grades are counted separately. Your best bet would be a post bacc, getting both your GPAs above 3.0 and then applying to state schools, schools that reward reinvention and DO schools.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
1. Get your facts straight, med school doesn’t do grade replacement, your Ds and Fs will be counted.
2. You didn’t do “very well” if you end up with 3.6 and sGPA 3.3. In fact sGPA 3.3 is below average.
3. Stop being defensive and raging at people who are giving you realistic advice. IMO, you don’t have the personality to be a physician. Have you met patients? What are you gonna do, rage at them?

Reactions: 10 users
People on here are being too harsh.. just because you have been successful during this process doesn't mean you can automatically be arrogant, it just wreaks of bad character.

Anyway OP, I totally agree with the one constructive post above about a post bacc..that is your only hope. If you kill a post bacc and demonstrate your dedication, along with a killer MCAT (516+ maybe with at least 3.0 s/cGPA after post bacc), you have an outside shot. Can't comment on DO, I am not familiar with their standards.

It is an uphill battle, but possible.

People on here are being too harsh.. just because you have been successful during this process doesn't mean you can automatically be arrogant, it just wreaks of bad character.

Anyway OP, I totally agree with the one constructive post above about a post bacc..that is your only hope. If you kill a post bacc and demonstrate your dedication, along with a killer MCAT (516+ maybe with at least 3.0 s/cGPA after post bacc), you have an outside shot. Can't comment on DO, I am not familiar with their standards.

It is an uphill battle, but possible.
People are harsh, but OP outright insults other. If you want constructive advice, don’t insult the people giving you advice just because you don’t like their answer

Looks like SDN forum has been hijacked by bunch of trolls and cry babies. Raging each other and what not. Lol what can ya expect from an online forum where dogs are free to roam around and bark. Idk what happened to all those intellectual people who used to answer here. RIP SDN.

The sense of entitlement is strong....

Anyhow, medical schools receive many times more applicants than seats and they can simply afford to disregard people who don't have consistently high numbers. Why take a guy with a 2.5 when you can have another for 3.9?

Reactions: 3 users

In the past i had no goals in my mind and i was having rough time when i was taking my classes. i am 25 at the moment and i am talking about the courses that i took 6-7 years ago where i had couple of F's and D's totaling for 10 bad grades. i have repeated couple of them where i got B's and 1 C. but those classes were only math and chemistry.

i took a break from school and rejoined in a different university 2 year ago. where i did very well, and i will be graduating this may with a GPA of 3.6 and science GPA 3.3 only from current institution.

and if i add all the courses from the past that i did good on without including F's and D's coz my university does not count them. my science GPA comes up to 3.05 exactly. i have improved a lot lately and i have shadowing experience and volunteering experience at the hospital. and good letters of recommendation and i am prepping for my MCAT test.

But now my biggest delima at the moment is my past grades are haunting me and AAMCAS is including all my F's and D's. my GPA has fallen to 2.5 drastically! even though i have shown enough improvement! my first option was to do my master after i graduate but i thought how can i improve a 2.5 gpa with masters itself ? i am thinking to extend my graduation date and take some easy bio courses to improve to atleast 3.0 including all the grades. but it gonna take some time and effort and then do my masters to show more improvement.

I felt like this is very unfair on medical schools part. anyone can relate to this ? anyone has any great suggestions ? or should i just jump to a masters program ?

i was also looking into SMP but they only except people with 3.0 or above. idk if their master program will include my F's and D's into their accepting GPA's.

Not to start off on the wrong foot with this post, but just to add to what others had said above, you're being a little standoffish and confrontational with some of the answers you are receiving which I agree is likely because it is a harsh reality. Relax. Realize that people here are only trying to be realistic. In addition, since you seem new to SDN, I'll just give you a heads-up now: questions about underdogs are oft answered with a bit of disdain - just my opinion, however. This is also compounded when you say things like "it isn't fair." Bro, some people on here claim 3.9s and 515s with ZERO interviews - life certainly is not fair.

Now to try and help you with an answer to your question (and I didn't read all the above posts so forgive me for possibly repeating something). If I understand you correctly, you currently have a past of s*** grades but a recent 2 year streak of good (hopefully excellent) grades. I'm not sure if you're saying your 3.6 and 3.3 GPAs are from the past 2 years only or if they are including all classes but with F's and D's replaced. Either way, if AMCAS is calculating your GPA at 2.5 and you already completed 2 years of excellent grades, you're kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place. I would figure out how many credits of A's you would need to get that to a 3.0. Remember, grades are not "replaced" but all grades are considered, therefore, an A and a D in the same class is better than just a D.

Next, I would look into SMPs. IMHO, this will be your lifeline (along with the MCAT, of course).

To quickly summarize, here's what I would do.
1. Decide how to achieve a 3.0 (if it isn't really feasible, I don't think your chances are complete over. Many schools do look at most recent grades and don't simply calculate your GPA with all classes weighted equally). If possible, get the 3.0, if not, see "2."
2. Look into SMP's with good reputations. If you achieve the 3.0, great, you should be fine to begin at almost any program. If you don't reach the 3.0, get in contact with the admissions team for whichever SMP you are looking at. They may take you after looking at your most recent grades. Either way, if you get in, crush it - end of story. Not a 3.2, 3.5, but probably a 3.8+ SMP GPA.
3. The MCAT - this will be your second lifeline (probably even more-so than the SMP). Crush it - again - no questions asked. I'm not going to say shoot for X score because you shouldn't limit yourself. Prepare as well as you can and get as close to 528 as is possible for you.
4. Make sure your extracurriculars are stellar. This path is going to take you a decent few years so you have no excuse but to really partake in some activities that you enjoy. Volunteer, shadow, if possible, gain some relevant employment. Research is a plus as well, obviously.
5. Apply to school. If you did not achieve a 3.0 undergraduate GPA, I think there are some schools that would still consider you especially given your most resent undergrad grades and of course, your amazing SMP performance and MCAT. I'd apply to as many DO and (realistic) MD schools as you can afford.

***DISCLAIMER*** I am not an admissions committee member, but a student who was accepted for MD matriculation this year, 2018. I do, however, come from a background somewhat similar to yours. Basically, I started from the bottom, now I'm here (pun intended haha). Anyway, if you really want it, you CAN achieve it, just realize it isn't going to happen with a quick fix. When I decided to return to school, I thought I'd matriculate in ~2 years. It actually will be 5 by the time I begin school in August 2018. You need to really show you deserve to be in medical school just as much as that kid who has been killing it since 8th grade. You have to really want it.

Anyway, good luck! Feel free to DM me with any questions.

the issue w/ med schools not considering your early F's and D's is that you got decent grades in these classes a second time around, when you're expected to get better grades. if they didn't consider the D's and F's, it would look like you got A's and B's your first time around, how is that fair for those students who did well on their first try? without already being introduced to the material? there's a looooot of other things in this application process that isn't fair, this my friend isn't one of them...

the above post is pretty clear on what you need to do... also have you considered the Caribbean? i know it's almost taboo to suggest someone go to the Caribbean but if it's your only chance of a medical career and if you actually do want it that badly, i'd look into it if i were you, definitely won't be easy and your future positions are limited. i'd make an honest attempt at making myself a decent DO applicant first before considering Caribbean tho

also how do you go from having no goals in mind to set on attending medical school? just curious

Also just to add, it is well known that if you need to retake a course, medical schools expect you to get an A. You're seeing the material for a second time, and they expect you to put in the work to get that 4.0. So retaking a class and going from a D to a C or a B isn't going to be that impressive to them.

Reactions: 4 users
I think you should do a post bacc. Ace the post bacc. There are some really great ones out there. Then I would look into an SMP. I believe Drexel offers a really great one. @Goro we need you here..

Calm down! There are medical schools that reward reinvention. Look up my post in the subject.

Since no one else wants to come out and say it, I will. Some medical schools reward reinvention, like Goro mentioned. This is for people in exactly your situation; did well early on, took time off, realized that they needed to get their crap together and did so. HOWEVER, you have a 3.6 cum and 3.3 sGPA in this phase where you're supposed to be killing it. Those stats, which don't even account for your previous poor performance, are not good enough to get you into medical school. You need to be in the 3.9-4.0 range to be looked at seriously.

This is not uncommon. Not everyone knows they want to be a physician from birth.

ooh yea of course... i meant more like what happened that made OP go from having no goals in mind to deciding to pursue medical school, was just curious

Reactions: 1 users
People are harsh, but OP outright insults other. If you want constructive advice, don’t insult the people giving you advice just because you don’t like their answer

Haha some really butthurt people on here like i thought. Supporting each other. Obviously you cant read or understand my original post. Waste of my time here with wannabe experts.

And its not befitting for a lion to roar at the dogs.

Those who gave some great advice thanks to you all.

In regards with GPA that are accepted by medical schools vary a lot. And lowest they can go is upto 3.0. Chances are slim but not dead. If there is a will, there is a way. And this no way implying i should stop at 3.0.

And for those who are in similar situations as i am. Don’t be discouraged and keep striving. Hardwork will make you there. Certainly do not take these trolls to dictate your life goals. You know yourself better then anyone else can. Peole online can only talk sh*** thinking they know it all. They are here to discourage you and rage you. I am neither discouraged or raged. I know online forums are not a proper channel to discuss these issues. But you can here and there rarely find some great advice.

Just do what you think is right! And meet with a advisor to talk about your chances. Try to Aim for the stars, atleast you will land on the moon.

Read this:
Goro's advice for pre-meds who need reinvention

Do change the wording on the bold, red part. That's why people are jumping all over you. As a teaching moment, it's not about what you want, but what med schools want.

Seeing bad grades on your transcript tells a story.

Read this:

Do change the wording on the bold, red part. That's why people are jumping all over you. As a teaching moment, it's not about what you want, but what med schools want.

And that's key. This is why admissions is a seller's market, and schools care about what they want for their ideal class. In the end, it's about the patients.

Read this:

Yes true, but that was solely my opinion about the situation. And any intellectual would advise what are the next steps to improve my performance and that is exactly what I asked on here. People on here obviously come to troll others and focus on unimportant topic by being judgmental.

Yes true, but that was solely my opinion about the situation. And any intellectual would advise what are the next steps to improve my performance and that is exactly what I asked on here. People on here obviously come to troll others and focus on unimportant topic by being judgmental.
Can't sugar coat this, SDNers tend to have a low tolerance for entitlement issues, or the "woe is me" mindset.

Reactions: 9 users
Can't sugar coat this, SDNers tend to have a low tolerance for entitlement issues, or the "woe is me" mindset.

Lol idk what you guys are on! I am not a self entitlement person or any such that you judge. Obviously i feel like You guys are being very self entitled of yourself. And cant stand criticism of yourn own attitude towards someone. Shame SDN has come to this...doesn’t matter how long you been on SDN. Your attitude stinks.

Haha some really butthurt people on here like i thought. Supporting each other. Obviously you cant read or understand my original post. Waste of my time here with wannabe experts.

And its not befitting for a lion to roar at the dogs.

Those who gave some great advice thanks to you all.

In regards with GPA that are accepted by medical schools vary a lot. And lowest they can go is upto 3.0. Chances are slim but not dead. If there is a will, there is a way. And this no way implying i should stop at 3.0.

And for those who are in similar situations as i am. Don’t be discouraged and keep striving. Hardwork will make you there. Certainly do not take these trolls to dictate your life goals. You know yourself better then anyone else can. Peole online can only talk sh*** thinking they know it all. They are here to discourage you and rage you. I am neither discouraged or raged. I know online forums are not a proper channel to discuss these issues. But you can here and there rarely find some great advice.

Just do what you think is right! And meet with a advisor to talk about your chances. Try to Aim for the stars, atleast you will land on the moon.
I merely pointed out a misunderstanding you have regarding how med school calculated grades. I don’t appreciate how you call people “dogs”, it’s degrading and things like that would never come out of an (as you call it) “intellectual.” Most of what people here said, though harsh is true. It’s one thing to disagree, it’s another thing to be flat out rude and insulting. I suggest you change that attitude since medicine is about serving others. Stop feeling sorry or unjust for yourself, it’s fair and you’re not even Mufasa.

Lol idk what you guys are on! I am not a self entitlement person or any such that you judge. Obviously i feel like You guys are being very self entitled of yourself. And cant stand criticism of yourn own attitude towards someone. Shame SDN has come to this...doesn’t matter how long you been on SDN. Your attitude stinks.
Goro has been nothing but nice to you. Even if you make it into med school, you will never make it out of residency, or even in.

Reactions: 3 users
I merely pointed out a misunderstanding you have regarding how med school calculated grades. I don’t appreciate how you call people “dogs”, it’s degrading and things like that would never come out of an (as you call it) “intellectual.” Most of what people here said, though harsh is true. It’s one thing to disagree, it’s another thing to be flat out rude and insulting. I suggest you change that attitude since medicine is about serving others. Stop feeling sorry or unjust for yourself, it’s fair and you’re not even Mufasa.

Whoever commented here has that issue of “they know it all” and very great at being judgmental of someones issues. As soon as i said something they got rude and starting barking. Its quite befitting to call someone with that name because it is the reality of themselves. They should be shown ther place to calm their egos befor they progress to “wild dogs” lol.

Goro has been nothing but nice to you. Even if you make it into med school, you will never make it out of residency, or even in.

Apple doesn’t fall far from the tree. And you want me yo take you seriously over the internet ? Lol will see how life trats you when reach similar situations. I have seen people who talk big words end up in similar or worst situation. So you are not affecting me or my aspirations to become a Physician.

If the only reason you're here is because med school i tough to get into, I hope beyond hope that you're not the one in the E.R. when I have my next kidney stone.

If the only reason you're here is because med school i tough to get into, I hope beyond hope that you're not the one in the E.R. when I have my next kidney stone.

Another person to add on to the ignorants list. I sugeest uou read my original post. I see a trend lately on SDN to bash posters and divert their attention to something irrelevant rather focusing on solving the issues. I hope you get into ER with a harvard graduate physician. I cant emphasize more on what comes around goes around. Pityfull world indeed.

Let's not all violate Burnett's Law at once, kids.

jeff, I'm only pointing out that this phrase from your OP is the problem: I felt like this is very unfair on medical schools part.

It's very off putting, and not the mindset you should have as a potential medical student. Your lashing out at people isn't helping. So step back from the keyboard, take a deep breath, and let it go. You will get far worse on rotations in residency.

Reactions: 4 users

Just to reiterate:
Rising GPA trends are looked upon favorably.
SMPs are a dime a dozen. I know of some that take people who have GPAs < 3. You may have to relocate. The alternative is a DUY post-bac. There are pluses and minuses to both.
There are also med schools that have so many talented applicants that they can afford to ignore those who reinvent themselves. it is, after all, a seller's market.
The key thing is proving the you of now is not the you of then. It looks like you're on that road.

Another person to add on to the ignorants list. I sugeest uou read my original post. I see a trend lately on SDN to bash posters and divert their attention to something irrelevant rather focusing on solving the issues. I hope you get into ER with a harvard graduate physician. I cant emphasize more on what comes around goes around. Pityfull world indeed.
I was standing up for you. I quoted someone else's response. I see I was mistaken in doing so.

Let's not all violate Burnett's Law at once, kids.

jeff, I'm only pointing out that this phrase from your OP is the problem: I felt like this is very unfair on medical schools part.

It's very off putting, and not the mindset you should have as a potential medical student. Your lashing out at people isn't helping. So step back from the keyboard, take a deep breath, and let it go. You will get far worse on rotations in residency.

No, i think you took it the wrong way. In no way i like to lash out on people, and no i am not being stessed about my issues. I have already planned what i am going to do. I came here for more options and advise. But i see that instead of focusing on my original questions people decided to pick on one phrase. And i am merely correcting them not lashing. And pointing out their pityfull ignorance that they are embarking on. Perhaps supporting their peers even if they are wrong. So yea what can you expect from a forum where tyranny rules over. So in no way i am feeling mad about you guys. I am just amazed how some people on here are just blatantly egoistic.

Apple doesn’t fall far from the tree. And you want me yo take you seriously over the internet ? Lol will see how life trats you when reach similar situations. I have seen people who talk big words end up in similar or worst situation. So you are not affecting me or my aspirations to become a Physician.
No, i think you took it the wrong way. In no way i like to lash out on people, and no i am not being stessed about my issues. I have already planned what i am going to do. I came here for more options and advise. But i see that instead of focusing on my original questions people decided to pick on one phrase. And i am merely correcting them not lashing. And pointing out their pityfull ignorance that they are embarking on. Perhaps supporting their peers even if they are wrong. So yea what can you expect from a forum where tyranny rules over. So in no way i am feeling mad about you guys. I am just amazed how some people on here are just blatantly egoistic.
*pitiful

You have got lots of good advice here. It will be an uphill battle, but people have done this before. Just accept it and move on. Med school and residency are even more harsh. Proving yourself right is not always the best option. Sometimes it is better be humble a little.

Wish you luck.

Only great advice came from Goro and only few others on top. Majority were here to rule their tyrany and bullie the posters.

No, i think you took it the wrong way. In no way i like to lash out on people, and no i am not being stessed (sp) about my issues. I have already planned what i (captialization) am going to do. I came here for more options and advise (spelling). But i see that instead of focusing on my original questions people decided to pick on one phrase. And i (capitalization) am merely correcting them, not lashing. And pointing out their pityfull (spelling) ignorance that they are embarking on (nonsensical). Perhaps supporting their peers even if they are wrong (sentence fragment). So yea (spelling) what can you expect from a forum where tyranny rules over (criticism does not equal tyrrany). So (starting a sentence with so) in no way i (capitalization) am (structure/order) feeling mad about you guys. I am just amazed how some people on here are just blatantly egoistic (not a word).

Here's some advice offered in earnest. I'm not saying this to further tear you down. Re-learn to write. What you write and how you write is who you are. Your written words represent who you are, especially here, on this forum, to the most self-critical and demanding population of students anywhere on earth. You haven't shown us much except for a poorly worded tantrum. I wish you luck in your future endeavors.

Goro read tens of thousands of posts on this forum. I think he is experienced enough in reading the posts and taking them right.

*Ego issues* when something is wrong it needs to be addressed regardless if the person has ton of experience. You learn something new everyday. Keep an open mind that will take you long way.

*Ego issues* when something is wrong it needs to be addressed regardless if the person has ton of experience. You learn something new everyday. Keep an open mind that will take you long way.
Arrogance is assuming you have something to teach an individual who is a member of a medical school admissions board and has been patiently doling out friendly, constructive free advice here for the better part of a decade.

Here's some advice offered in earnest. I'm not saying this to further tear you down. Re-learn to write. What you write and how you write is who you are. Your written words represent who you are, especially here, on this forum, to the most self-critical and demanding population of students anywhere on earth. You haven't shown us much except for a poorly worded tantrum. I wish you luck in your future endeavors.

Only fools try to correct english on the forum as their last resort. Move on troll...