Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

my patient called me sexy lady..

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by angietron3000, Nov 29, 2005.

1. angietron3000

angietron3000 *black magic soul power*
    10+ Year Member

.. this morning and it kinda creeped me out. A few weeks ago another patient told me he fantasized about me tying him up :eek: that creeped me out even more. Both times I sorta left the room and had my assistant deal with them instead.

I'm just wondering if other people have patients tell them strange/inappropriate things. Is this what it's gonna be like or do people treat real doctors with a little more respect?

It could just be that the majority of my patients are middle aged men, or maybe because we're doing clinical trials (are people who take experimental drugs for money different from the general population?), it's not like I work in a hypersexual environment, I wear a labcoat and jeans for crissake! anybody else have experiences like this???

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. CerealBox

CerealBox Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I hear that's what VA hospitals are all about....

4. princessd3

princessd3 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I remember when I was doing an internship at a hospital and an elderly man approached me and was extremely friendly with me. He could have been about 75-80 and walked with a cane. I didn't think much of it until he asked me out to dinner
    :eek:

5. atrovariousg

atrovariousg Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Dirty old men tend to be old and uh need docs. If you are sexy, get used to a little filth from time to time.
    FWIW, they are harmless.......you can't shoot pool with a rope.

6. jebus

jebus Membership Revoked
    Removed 5+ Year Member

I used to volunteer in the geriatric ward at a state mental health center. This stuff happens all the time, except there you have people who have clinically defined sexual disorders. Like hardcore stuff. I remember one woman who gave me her home phone number because she was separated from her husband (she was separated because she attacked him and a few other people and they decided to institutionalize her... she had the bruises to show for it! So she wasn't staying at home and wanted some action. Where was she staying? In the geriatric ward for a week, of course.)
    Then there was the women who told me I was her husband. I was told by one of the residents that I had been inducted to the pantheon. Yay! The trouble was that when I told her I wasn't her husband she got really angry and started yelling expletives at me. That crazy ho!
    I really felt bad for one of the residents and one of the med students rotating through because they were fine... and they had to deal with some nasty stuff like old men dropping their pants during daily rounds. No one wants to see that.... Anyway, I was told not to give any positive reinforcement towards this behaviour. Sometimes that would work, other times it really seemed to piss off the patients. They would just drug them up if the behaviour continued. I was really surprised by that, too.
    Your situation is totally different. I don't know how to deal with that. I'm sure there are some ethical guidelines you're supposed to follow...

7. kirexhana

kirexhana Make Me A Sandwich.
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    i had a post-war veteran come out to me and hit on me when I was taking him to be triaged. apparently, the man had a very sensitive gaydar which i actually took as a complement. problem was.. he was about twice my age, and his close "friend" was glaring at me from the window looking into the triage room. did not want to get in between that...

8. Pewl

Pewl The Dude Abides
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    One time I took this lady out on a wheel chair and as I pushed her through the doorway one of the wheels barely clipped the door frame, but she suddenly started screaming and crying. I apologized but she started freaking out and yelling at me. I'm sure she was in a lot of pain but people were staring at us while I was wheeling her down the hallway with her yelling at me. I was like "Dammit! I'm a volunteer. YOu get what you pay for =P" heh

9. QuikClot

QuikClot Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I hope you put that in the chart notes: "78 y.o. c/o mania (that crazy ho!) :laugh:

10. kathyt009

kathyt009 Member
    10+ Year Member

I'm at work right now...

I just had a 47 year old slightly demented cardiac patient cop a feel. After I scolded him and told him that was inappropriate, he looked at me with a smile and said, "Why?"

11. QuikClot

QuikClot Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Where do you work, Kathy? I used to work Critical Care Transport, so I've seen most of the EDs in the state.

On the subject of demented people (which really warrents its own thread) -- I had a pt. last night who rated an 11 on a 1-10 scale of deadness. He was in his bed -- on the right side -- stiff with rigor, with lividity and his mouth wide open. You could have hung your coat on this guy, rest his soul. Firefighters and nursing home staff all around. Strange part coming up.

And in the left side of the bed lay his wife, awake, not talking, not moving, not doing anything. She knew there where more people in her room than usual for 2am, but that was it. I helped move her to a chair. Quoth the wife: "I have no idea what is going on." Truer words. :(

12. Hoberto

Hoberto Squirrel Girl
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I've had most of these inappropriate sexual advances and comments happen while working as a waitress in various family restaurants. I think creepy men are going to be creepy men regardless of where you encounter them.

13. BooMed

BooMed Optomist
    5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    :laugh: That is hilarious :laugh:

14. humuhumu

humuhumu nukunuku apua'a
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    True sexiness cannot be hidden with jeans and a labcoat. ;)

15. nitecap

nitecap Membership Revoked
    Removed

When I worked a RN the little old ladies confused and ICU psycotic would always make passes at me. A little Vitamin H (haldol always did the trick).

16. DropkickMurphy

DropkickMurphy Membership Revoked
    Removed

Other Health Professions Student
    Ah, the gaping maw....I know it well. Picking up dead people for a funeral home, I see it all the time. The best story I have though is of a guy who died at home at like 2 am following hospice care. We're wrapping him up to get ready for transport and out walks this lady in a nightgown.
    Woman: "What do you think you are doing?"
    Me: "Ma'am we're from the funeral home."
    Woman: "You mean he's dead?"
    Hospice nurse (said under her breath): "What gave that one away?"
    Me (trying to stifle a laugh): "Yes ma'am".
    Woman: "No he's not! Let him out of there!"

She then proceeded to run screaming at the funeral director (a former NFL player mind you) and myself, and attempted to "beat some sense into you boys!" in order to get the deceased back in bed "where he belongs!". Worst injury suffered? Some bruised shins. Note: Watch out for elderly women with Alzheimers who haven't been told their husband died, because they like to kick people.

Another interesting story involving a hospice patient, the night before last we had to go pick up a gentleman who died during his own wake. Apparently he demanded a pre-wake. His daughter told us he said "If my death is a good enough excuse for you guys to drink, then why should I miss out?" :thumbup: Now if he wasn't Irish, I do believe this makes him Celtic by behavior. :laugh: :smuggrin:

17. DrKitty

DrKitty Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    When I volunteered in ER one busy night, several phones were ringing and the unit clerk stepped out, so I picked up the phone and, for about one minute, listened to a man's voice, talking dirty to me, asking me to go to bed with him. It was interesting at first, but then started to creep me out, so I hung up.

18. bostonguy

bostonguy Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I would be flattered, I had a similar thing happen to me once. I work as an emt and a woman in her 40s broke her leg basically. She was screaming in pain and quieted down now and then to tell me that it was only how handsome I was that was getting her through the pain. She admitted a crush on me, she was mentally well, and 2x my age so anything is possible. I had helped her without even doing much, how cool is that?

19. tigress

tigress queen of the jungle
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    We have one patient who hits on me all the time. He hits on all of the women in the office, and makes inappropriate remarks. We think it may be his way of trying to deal with the fact that he's becoming increasingly disabled, he never married, and he probably doesn't have much of a sex life ahead of him. It's really quite sad, but it makes me incredibly uncomfortable.

Other than that, I had one med student rotating through the clinic who kept hitting on me. But that was just funny.

20. Ashanti Rock

Ashanti Rock Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    After working for years in a nursing home, its kinda sad, but you get used to the elderly and thier come on's. Trust me worse things have happened! My philosophy: words will never hurt me, but hands must come nowhere near me!

21. Mr. Freeze

Mr. Freeze Not right. (in the head)
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I had a regular customer, (I think if we carried sandwiches instead of oxygen we'd have saved a lot of money) a middle-aged black lady that was ALWAYS six sheets to the wind; she said, "Ooohhhh white-boy, I like the way you move. MMMM!", and was trying to grab at my ho-ho. It was normally eggshells around her, because she would snap at anything. I just said, "Well, thank you. I kinda like the way I move, too." I'll take old-lady kicks in the shins anytime over some drunk hard-up lady (loosely) putting my ho-ho in a death-grip.

Alas, it isn't the patients I worry about harassing the hell out of me; it's the freaky-deaky nursing staff.

I just remembered the drunk from the jail, younger but not like 20 or anything, that needed a foley and started humpin' the nurse's hand when she began to jam the tube in his ho-ho. I started crackin' up, and when the penile raping was over I asked if she needed a cigarette. She was a good sport over the next few weeks putting up with endless combinations of juvenile job, hand, lube, cranky, kung-fu grip, and wood jokes.

22. firebird69guy

5+ Year Member

lets see some pics.. we'll tell ya if you're a sexy lady or not. I'd just take it as a compliment and move on..
    =)

23. Turkeyman

Turkeyman Trickster Poultry
    5+ Year Member

Hahahaha! That's great. :D

24. MollyMalone

MollyMalone I'm a Score Quadruplet
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

My personal favorite was this lovably demented elderly guy I was taking care of in the hospital. I was leaning over to take his vitals when he reached up and placed his hands about an inch away from my breasts, and said in this heartbreakingly sincere voice, "May I just touch them, please?"

I moved away and said, "Sir, your wife will be back in a few minutes." (It was true, she'd gone to get a cup of coffee.)

He thought about that for a minute and then this big smile lit up his whole face as he said, "Well, she doesn't have to know."

:rolleyes: :)

25. Siggy

10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I had an elderly patient that I was taking home in an ambulance try to hook my partner and I up with her daughters that were at least 10 years older then us and married. Funny part was, one of the daughters was riding along with us.

26. MollyMalone

MollyMalone I'm a Score Quadruplet
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Oh, my other favorite was this guy (60's, totally sane) who would tell dirty jokes continuously and who always blamed his high blood pressure on watching the breastfeeding video on the hospital's educational channel. He was a hoot!

27. angietron3000

10+ Year Member

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: thanks for the stories everyone, i've been laughing so hard! I'm glad I'm not the only one with weirdo patients! guess I should be more concerned when people *stop* calling me sexy lady!

28. Turkeyman

Turkeyman Trickster Poultry
    5+ Year Member

I BET when I'm old I will become one of those pervs. You all will either be taking care of me or "perving" along with me. Might as well choose now -- who's with me?

29. Mr. Freeze

Mr. Freeze Not right. (in the head)
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I'm obviously not female, so I may be putting my XY slant on things. However, I think if it truly is harmless, smile and move on. Polish your ability to discern between threatening and just old man cuteness. If you don't think you could kick his ass, it is probably the former. And don't take anything like that from coworkers. But that goes without saying...

I have plenty of those stories also...

30. Captain Fantastic

Physician 10+ Year Member

A few months ago a couple of guys undergoing alcohol detox were in the "sitting" room. One of them started staring at the (female) attendant and started masturbating. This, of course, looked like a good idea to the other patient in the room so he started in, too. She was pre-med and this job was one of those "clinical experiences" things. The physician came in later (also female -- my wife, actually) same thing happened again. Security got to sit with them the rest of their stay. Last I heard the pre-med had decided to pursue something other than medicine -- decided it just wasn't for her.

I have been hit on in the back of the ambulance by some of the older ladies we've picked-up. I just smile and go on with business as usual.

31. 45408

45408 aw buddy
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    A friend of mine is a very attractive ER tech who was leaning over to start an IV when she noticed the guy sitting up much more attentively to look down her shirt. She had already started to put the needle in and couldn't stand up or anything. She was pretty mad about that. I've had to explain to my fiance more than a few times why I like it when she wears scrubs....

32. 45408

45408 aw buddy
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Now, the only time I've been hit on in the back of an ambulance was by a man. I'm quite straight, and normally my gaydar doesn't kick in too easily, but before we even reached the patient, I knew he had to be playing for the other team. He was completely plastered and hilariously funny. On the way to the hospital, he asks "Can I ask you a question?" I told him sure, and he asks "Are you gay?" I laughed and said no, and he proceeded to say "Awww, that's too bad. Is your partner (the female EMT I was with) gay?" I told him he'd have to ask her, so he did (she was driving). She's actually a lesbian, so she yelled to the back "YES, I AM." He was pleased to hear that and said "Oh, I love lesbians!" I laughed pretty hard and told him I thought he was pretty confused by now....

Of course, once we got to the hospital, he had a beautiful nurse taking care of him, but he said he'd rather it was me taking his clothes off. :p

33. NRAI2001

NRAI2001 3K Member
    10+ Year Member

Are you serious? You were interested? :scared:

34. Anuwolf

Anuwolf Membership Revoked
    Removed

Non-Student
    As a female patient (I’m 22 years old) I sometimes become overly excited when I see certain nurses or doctors in lab coats or in scrubs of either sex (I’m bi) in the ER. I do apologize for getting graphic but what turns me on is when I see nurses or docs holding the needle at a certain angle. I guess I’m suffering what they call “Medical fetish” Funny how I also suffer from white coat syndrome at the same time. After I get injected with a high dose of Ativan I become very loving. I want to hug each nurse/doctor that I see. I look like a drunk.

35. popbirch

popbirch Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    'True sexiness cannot be hidden with jeans and a labcoat.'

I completely agree with that. In fact, the sexiest thing I can think of for a woman to wear is a pair of boxers and a baggy t-shirt. For me, the less dressed up they get the better.

36. Its_MurDAH

Its_MurDAH The DaVinci Savant
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Underwear and a long button-down shirt for girls.

37. noonday

noonday Attending
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    i volunteer as an HIV counselor, so i spend 30-40 min. with each client talking with them about their sexual behavior and drug use. people start to feel really comfortable with you -- you're listening to these graphic things, giving suggestions for safer activities, being totally non-judging -- most people don't have a lot of chance for that in everyday life, even in many "romantic" relationships. and i'm rather...built...in the chest area, and tend to not really pay much attention to what i wear most of the time, so i sometimes find myself sitting in a counseling room, talking with a client, wearing a tight babydoll tee with a slogan like "be nice to sex workers" or a picture of a tranny giving head right across, and slightly stretched/distorted by, my 36DD's. seriously, i don't even think about it in the morning when i'm getting ready, i throw on whatever's closest.

anyway, i get hit on a lot by clients...one client just got through telling me all about how he'd come in to get tested because he was cheating on his long time girlfriend with this friend's friend, unprotected, and he just found out that she's a professional ho. and he has been clean a whole 6 mo (which is great) from shooting up meth. and on his way out of the counseling session to get his blood drawn, he asked me if we could get a drink later that night. i politely declined.

another time i was counseling this 6'6" linebacker build african american man who's reason for coming to get tested was state by him as "i'm a playa...but i can't help it, the ladies love me" and midway through talking about his bedroom activities, he says "we've been doing a lot of talking about what i like. what i want to know is...what do you like, baby?" um. yeah.

38. angietron3000

10+ Year Member

hehe, sorry, but the image of henry rollins with 36DDs just made me crack up..

39. PBandJ

PBandJ hot dog back in action!
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    i work with elderly participants (70+) on a clinical research study. we had one ex-priest in for our study. when our research nurse called him to follow-up on his clinic visit, the guy asked the nurse if i would be available to go out to lunch with him. that was a few months ago and i'm still getting teased about it from the rest of our staff.

i just take it as flattery. :) not much else i can do.

40. SRK85

SRK85 MedTech Student
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Yea doctors offices and hostipals are no place for people to be hitting on people. Thats what bars are for gosh.

41. Trail Boss

Trail Boss Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Oh ladies, this one rotation I swear everypatient I saw wanted to show me her vagina, oh wait... :smuggrin:

42. Anuwolf

Anuwolf Membership Revoked
    Removed

Non-Student
    When you look at this picture. http://www.jrenee.org/images/NurseWithNeedle.jpg What do you see in the picture? how do you feel emotionally? (Feel free to pm me if you wish, I have a very good sense of humor and nothing offends me)

and yes I'll join you. What do I need to do to be apart of the pervert gang? :D

I admit that doctors offices (well certain ones) aren't the place to hit on people but you cant help it doing it inside of a hospital. Theirs some pretty hot looking nurses/doctors of either sex that you just help but to ask out and to imagine the steam of sex of the attractive nurse/doctor. A good looking nurse or doctor should understand, I'm sure they know all about the hormone behavior in humans :D

43. CibaoMD

CibaoMD Nil Sine Magna Labore
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I work as a PA in primary care peds clinic and I must say the Mom's and even the teenage patients can get really fresh. There is a reason why they say you shouldn't wear any fragrance while at work. I remember one occasion I was examining a child's ear and the mom was holding him down. She smelled my cologne then got within 2 milimeters of my face and said.....Ohhh doctor.....you smell soooo good..... Then she proceeded with the usual battery of inappropriate questions......

I've also had teenage girls profess their love for me.......(15-18yrs of age)... Leaving me love notes .....trying to call me........Coming for stupid stuff......(non-existent illness) Its not easy out there....... Just gotta hang tight and be professional.......

44. Rafa

Rafa headbutts like zidane
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I'm sure it must be a very...hard...job... :laugh:

45. LabMonster

LabMonster Clinically relevant.
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    It's the Y Chrome and my CrAzY brain I swear! (I'm with ya for dirty-old-mandom.) :laugh:

46. 91946

91946 Guest

Pre-Medical
    Well this is not related to any health job, but a bunch of teenage girls just flash their butt and breast while licking their lips suggestively at me when i was driving home from work.

47. onstar

onstar Member
    2+ Year Member

post a pic of your self.

please

48. jbone

jbone Herro!
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Those pain killers make you see some weird [email protected]! Trust me. :smuggrin:

49. eggy

eggy The year of the egg
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    This thread cracks me up! Reffering to the OP, I am also in clinical research and have had my share of people hitting on me. One of our male patients had grabbed my junk after having previously met my wife (she works with me). And this was while his partner was in the room. He claimed it was an "accident" and was just trying to reach for his partner's hand on the other side of the room. The partner became quite upset with this "accident" and they got in a big fight afterwards. I definitely felt violated. We had another crazy patient that stared at me and told me "gosh, you are so good looking." I kinda just left the room after that. I have had a couple of nice older women try to set me up with their daughters, but I just refer them to my wife and say, "if it is cool with her, then I'm game."

50. Jaider

Jaider Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

51. Sublux7

Sublux7 allied health escapee
    2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    I work in a huge hospital and I have to say that I have heard the craziest things by far come from my older slightly confused patients. When narcotics are added, sometimes you wouldnt believe the outcome. I once had a patient tell me that if I would just let him "do it his way, this would go a lot better for all of us" as he reached for my chest when I was getting him out of bed. Sometimes you may even encounter a smarmy geriatric volunteer. Ol' George will come up to give you a hug (with hands up inside your lab coat!) and once he told me he had a Rollo in his pocket for me. Thats the last time George got near me. :eek: