Status
Pre-Pharmacy
Verbal: 80 :(
Biology: 92
Reading: 81 :(
Quant: 99
Chem: 91
Comp: 89

These are my June 20th PCAT results. The Reading composite is really bad and verbal is not sooo great. You would think the schools focus more on the CHEM, BIO and MATH so should I retake the PCAT??

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2009
Status
i would say, retake the pcat until you feel comfortable with your score or you run out of time before sending in your application. if you take the pcat more than once, then the schools can see where you improve and where you need improvement. if you can also see that and focus on those parts and raise your score, those schools can see the same thing. the most important score is your composite.

and also, if you can get around 80~90 percentile on chem, bio, and math, you should get at least 75 composite, assuming that you do ok on the other sections.

helloeveryone

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 21, 2008
Status
Pharmacy Student
Verbal: 61 :(
Biology: 71
Reading: 37 :(
Quant: 84
Chem: 91
Comp: 76

These are my June 20th PCAT results. The Reading composite is really bad and verbal is not sooo great. You would think the schools focus more on the CHEM, BIO and MATH so should I retake the PCAT??
How long did you study for the test?

Jun 9, 2009
Status
What is so bad about a 76? That seems like a pretty decent score to me...
the OP might be applying to one of those top schools where they have an average PCAT of 86 or so.

either that, or the OP thinks that your percentiles should be similar in all sections. if this is your case, eugeneb181, then don't worry so much as long as your scores in any section are not too low. i'm sure admissions committees realize that students have strengths and weaknesses, so they expect to see it. what's important is that you're good at chem, bio, and math, and at least decent at the other two sections. as long as your composite is good, that's all that matters.

joetrisman

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 9, 2009
Developing rickets
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Hello All! Please let me know what you think:

VERBAL 82
BIO 88
READING 16 :(:(
QUANTITATIVE 50
CHEMISTRY 84
COMPOSITE 71

WRITING 3.5/3.5

GPA 3.8

SIGH* This is my first time taking the PCAT. Please do not tell me that I have to retake! I plan to attend UF, where I got my undergrad degree. What do you think?
At the very least, retake it to up your reading score. I think that would definitely be an issue if you didn't retake it.

OP
E

eugeneb181

7+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
I'm going to be applying a bunch of schools but my number 1 choice would be Maryland which would be a reach school for me. Now I could do two things apply for early decision for Maryland and then based on there decision in October, i would the able to apply to the rest of my schools or I could apply for regular admissions for all my schools now.

I'm not sure whether they have rolling admissions or it just based on the deadline.

Jun 9, 2009
Status
I'm going to be applying a bunch of schools but my number 1 choice would be Maryland which would be a reach school for me. Now I could do two things apply for early decision for Maryland and then based on there decision in October, i would the able to apply to the rest of my schools or I could apply for regular admissions for all my schools now.

I'm not sure whether they have rolling admissions or it just based on the deadline.
do you know their average PCAT scores and average GPA yet?

OP
E

eugeneb181

7+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
nope but the minimum is 70 pcat and 2.5 GPA

im guessing but average would be around 80s PCAT 3.4 and GPA

pcat24

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2009
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
hi, can someone please tell me how you guys did so well on the verbal? how did you guys got 60th percentile or even higher? please email me at [email protected]

pcat24

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2009
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
i actually think you did well on verbal, how did you get that score?

Jetninjin

10+ Year Member
Oct 4, 2008
Status
nope but the minimum is 70 pcat and 2.5 GPA

im guessing but average would be around 80s PCAT 3.4 and GPA
Their website is wrong - I called the admissions dept to confirm, they said the min is 80 and didn't know why the website says differently. I would strongly urge you to call them before locking yourself into ED....

diastole

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2008
Where the sun don't shine
Status
Pharmacist
i actually think you did well on verbal, how did you get that score?
I think you should get as many exams as you can get your hands on and practice sentence completions. These test makers tend to use the same kind of sentences and even use some of the same vocabulary words. I just have a feel for this section so half the time, I can predict the word before I even see the choices. If you see enough of these, the right answers just jump out at you.

The analogy section is a bit trickier because the PCAT has some weird bridges. I would take the practice exams and at least learn the types of bridges they use. Part:whole, opposites, synonyms, tool:profession are some common ones. If you learn the bridges, it is easier to choose the correct answers.

The one thing that will kill you in this section is vocabulary if you don't have it. However, it is debatable whether or not you should devote a lot of time learning a lot of vocabulary. That time might be better spent working on other parts of your exam. You can memorize hundreds of words but only see three or four that you learned on the exam. That time could be better spent learning things for other sections that is more likely to be on the exam and improve your overall composite.