1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

My personal statement is one big paragraph

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by boo_yah, Jun 11, 2002.

1. boo_yah

boo_yah Member
    7+ Year Member

My statement is one big paragraph when I print it out. Does anyone know how to fix this so that there are separate paragraphs?

I'm sorry if this has been answered already, but I can't use the search for some reason.

Thanks

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Michelys

Michelys Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Booyah :) , try the AMCAS Essay help thread--I think I saw it on page 4 or 5!

4. bobmarley77

10+ Year Member

I think it always prints out as one big paragraph. The med schools get it in the "separate paragraph" form that you see on the screen in the essay section.

5. boo_yah

boo_yah Member
    7+ Year Member

Thanks Bob!

So the schools get it EXACTLY as we see it on our screens?

I ask because my statment has a title that I want to center.

Thanks a lot

6. Doctora Foxy

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by boo_yah:
    <strong>Thanks Bob!

So the schools get it EXACTLY as we see it on our screens?

I ask because my statment has a title that I want to center.

Thanks a lot</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I heard on SDN that you can fix it by typing it in wordpad and then copy and pasting that onto AMCAS.

7. shanet74

shanet74 Member
    7+ Year Member

Mine prints out in one big paragraph as well...I think I may simply try and type the first two paragraphs in without cutting and pasting to see if that makes a difference. It looks fine within the text box, but when I print I get the same big paragraph.Perhaps that is how it is suppose to be. Anyone else know the answer to the first post?

8. relatively prime

relatively prime post happy member
    7+ Year Member

Put this &lt;p&gt; at the begining of each paragraph and put this &lt;/p&gt; at the end of each paragraph... that's what I did and it worked.
    :)

9. kathleeya

kathleeya Member
    7+ Year Member

I just pressed return an extra time in between paragraphs and it turned out fine. Cuts into character space, but worth it, in my opinion.

10. boo_yah

boo_yah Member
    7+ Year Member

I don't have the room to use up 2 more characters for every paragraph though. So I just can't hit return twice.

11. relatively prime

7+ Year Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by boo_yah:
    <strong>I don't have the room to use up 2 more characters for every paragraph though. So I just can't hit return twice.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Well then do some word-weeding. You gotta get your priorities straight, paragraphs are VERY important. They are certainly more important than most of your sentences.

12. KyGrlDr2B

7+ Year Member

Last year when I was applying, I had the same problem. Someone at one of the schools I was applying to said not to worry about it. She said amcas formats it and they didnt get any paragraphs anyway. Also, she said they knew amcas was having a ton of problems and they would be overlooking a lot of stuff. I'm sure your schools understand. :)

13. Doc AdamK in 2006

Doc AdamK in 2006 Now 2 year UB Med Doc
    7+ Year Member

You know, AMCAS should really write on there application that due to formatting problems the paragraph will print out in one giant paragraph, however Med Schools will receive the essay as you see it.

AK

14. bobmarley77

10+ Year Member

I posted earlier that the med schools see our essays as they appear on the screen....I don't remember where I read/heard that though?? (I am reapplying....maybe it was written in last years instructions, LOL).

15. laviddee

laviddee Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

i just called amcas..
    and they told me that the print request was a last minute thing they added.. so although it may print as one big blob- schools will see the paragraphs!

16. boo_yah

boo_yah Member
    7+ Year Member

I just don't think I have that much faith in the people over there at aamc.

17. relatively prime

7+ Year Member

THis is why I added to the &lt;p&gt; and &lt;/p&gt; just to make sure... :) If you do this... your paragraphs show up everywhere.

18. driven

driven Member
    7+ Year Member

But then you have the &lt;p&gt; all over your essay, and it is part of the verbage (specially since it takes 3 characters). What is the official format.
    1- Indent at 1st sentence and no line break after each para
    2- Indent at 1st sent and line break (2 returns)
    2- no indent and only line break (2 returns)

19. BushBaby

BushBaby Nipplelina
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by laviddee:
    <strong>i just called amcas..
    and they told me that the print request was a last minute thing they added.. so although it may print as one big blob- schools will see the paragraphs!</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I agree....last year I remember I printed copies for my records and the PS and vision statement came out in one big paragraph....so far no school made a fuss about it.