My personal statement is one big paragraph

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

boo_yah

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
My statement is one big paragraph when I print it out. Does anyone know how to fix this so that there are separate paragraphs?

I'm sorry if this has been answered already, but I can't use the search for some reason.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Booyah :) , try the AMCAS Essay help thread--I think I saw it on page 4 or 5!

I think it always prints out as one big paragraph. The med schools get it in the "separate paragraph" form that you see on the screen in the essay section.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Bob!

So the schools get it EXACTLY as we see it on our screens?

I ask because my statment has a title that I want to center.

Thanks a lot

•••quote:•••Originally posted by boo_yah:
•Thanks Bob!

So the schools get it EXACTLY as we see it on our screens?

I ask because my statment has a title that I want to center.

Thanks a lot•••••I heard on SDN that you can fix it by typing it in wordpad and then copy and pasting that onto AMCAS.

Mine prints out in one big paragraph as well...I think I may simply try and type the first two paragraphs in without cutting and pasting to see if that makes a difference. It looks fine within the text box, but when I print I get the same big paragraph.Perhaps that is how it is suppose to be. Anyone else know the answer to the first post?

Put this <p> at the begining of each paragraph and put this </p> at the end of each paragraph... that's what I did and it worked.
:)

I just pressed return an extra time in between paragraphs and it turned out fine. Cuts into character space, but worth it, in my opinion.

I don't have the room to use up 2 more characters for every paragraph though. So I just can't hit return twice.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by boo_yah:
•I don't have the room to use up 2 more characters for every paragraph though. So I just can't hit return twice.•••••Well then do some word-weeding. You gotta get your priorities straight, paragraphs are VERY important. They are certainly more important than most of your sentences.

Last year when I was applying, I had the same problem. Someone at one of the schools I was applying to said not to worry about it. She said amcas formats it and they didnt get any paragraphs anyway. Also, she said they knew amcas was having a ton of problems and they would be overlooking a lot of stuff. I'm sure your schools understand. :)

You know, AMCAS should really write on there application that due to formatting problems the paragraph will print out in one giant paragraph, however Med Schools will receive the essay as you see it.

AK

I posted earlier that the med schools see our essays as they appear on the screen....I don't remember where I read/heard that though?? (I am reapplying....maybe it was written in last years instructions, LOL).

i just called amcas..
and they told me that the print request was a last minute thing they added.. so although it may print as one big blob- schools will see the paragraphs!

I just don't think I have that much faith in the people over there at aamc.

THis is why I added to the <p> and </p> just to make sure... :) If you do this... your paragraphs show up everywhere.

But then you have the <p> all over your essay, and it is part of the verbage (specially since it takes 3 characters). What is the official format.
1- Indent at 1st sentence and no line break after each para
2- Indent at 1st sent and line break (2 returns)
2- no indent and only line break (2 returns)

•••quote:•••Originally posted by laviddee:
•i just called amcas..
and they told me that the print request was a last minute thing they added.. so although it may print as one big blob- schools will see the paragraphs!•••••I agree....last year I remember I printed copies for my records and the PS and vision statement came out in one big paragraph....so far no school made a fuss about it.