Brickhouse

Full Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 10, 2003
4,173
9
44
LA2DC and back again...
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Hi - I just thought of this ....

For those of you taking the MCAT this April, can I make the suggestion to not drink anything, or at least not that much, during your lunch break. I was trying to do all the right things the day of the test, including eating low sugar/high protein foods for sustained energy and to avoid a mid-afternoon energy "crash". I did such a good job that all the water I normally retain decided to come rushing out of my cells and straight to my bladder, moments after the VS started. I spent the better part of the section saying to myself "Should I go pee and waste 5 minutes, or suffer until the end?" I stuck it out, I even did ok, but I wish I hadn't been having that inner diaglogue when I should've been concentrating on the test!

So there ya go, MCAT takers, my valuable advice for test day. Do with it what you will.


(is it time to go home yet?)
 
About the Ads

Pinkertinkle

2003 Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2003
5,004
83
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Just don't drink too much. I had a subway sandwich and a coke for lunch and got my highest score in the last section of the test.
 

Gleevec

Peter, those are Cheerios
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2002
4,129
9
Status (Visible)
A true doctor can urinate himself and continue taking a standardized test throughout.
 
E

Eraserhead

My friends wore "depends" undergarments for the LSAT.

How far are you willing to go for a few points?
 

fullefect1

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2003
790
0
36
Mass
Status (Visible)
I am sure I could walk out the room, find the closest corner and be back within 60 seconds.... Defently wouldn't take me 5 minutes. It would probably release more stress then considering whether to go pee or not.
 

superdevil

planning my escape
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 30, 2003
1,721
0
always in the last place i look
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
ok, ok, here's a really stupid question about the bathroom thing: are you just allowed to get up and go during the middle of a section? i have paranoid nightmares about having to go and an AAMC proctor-nazi telling me that i'll void my test if i take one more step toward the door!
 

Freakingzooming

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 31, 2002
574
2
38
Status (Visible)
I think you're allowed to go to the bathroom during the test cuz feasibly, if you were to run to the bathroom and search out an answer, you lose time on the cheating and well that's counterproductive so even if you've gotten one answer right, you've lost a chance to read five questions that you could have gotten right in the first place.

so to answer, yeah you can pee in the middle of a test.
 

bigbaubdi

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2003
641
0
38
Baltimore
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by Brickhouse
I was trying to do all the right things the day of the test, including eating low sugar/high protein foods for sustained energy and to avoid a mid-afternoon energy "crash". I did such a good job that all the water I normally retain decided to come rushing out of my cells and straight to my bladder, moments after the VS started. I spent the better part of the section saying to myself "Should I go pee and waste 5 minutes, or suffer until the end?" I stuck it out, I even did ok, but I wish I hadn't been having that inner diaglogue when I should've been concentrating on the test!

The same thing happened to me during the VR section. In past exams, I was pretty tired by the end of the bio section so I decided to eat and drink something during the breaks. On the morning of the exam, I brought a bottle of gatorade and a couple of candy bars. I ended up drinking a whole bottle of the gatorade bottle during the first break, and surprise, surprise, I feel like I am about to explode during the VR section. I couldn't even concentrate during the latter portion of the section but somehow I got through it.

Fortunately, I did well on the VR section. And I had plenty of energy in the afternoon, which paid off big time on the BS section.
 
About the Ads

oldtimer

Not a blind man
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2003
407
0
Lost in a cubicle forest
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by Brickhouse
Hi - I just thought of this ....

For those of you taking the MCAT this April, can I make the suggestion to not drink anything, or at least not that much, during your lunch break. I was trying to do all the right things the day of the test, including eating low sugar/high protein foods for sustained energy and to avoid a mid-afternoon energy "crash". I did such a good job that all the water I normally retain decided to come rushing out of my cells and straight to my bladder, moments after the VS started. I spent the better part of the section saying to myself "Should I go pee and waste 5 minutes, or suffer until the end?" I stuck it out, I even did ok, but I wish I hadn't been having that inner diaglogue when I should've been concentrating on the test!

So there ya go, MCAT takers, my valuable advice for test day. Do with it what you will.


(is it time to go home yet?)

I'm taking Step 1 in two years. Any other gems of wisdom I should know before then? :D
 

Sharkfan

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 25, 2004
254
0
Southeast USA
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
You are allowed to leave the room during the MCAT. No one will stop you.

But keep in mind: you usually need all the time you can get to finish each section. Potty-break time can seriously cut into your ability to finish unless you are a speed-tester!

Just don't drink... too much.
 

Pinkertinkle

2003 Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2003
5,004
83
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I think i had a fascist proctor who said b room breaks only between sections.
 

ms. a

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 21, 2003
449
2
Houston
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
No, not all testing places will let you get up and go to the bathroom. Even if you are completely done with your test, ready to hand it in, and are pregnant with a baby sitting squarely on your badder. Some places just don't care about anything execpt the strictest of rules. Trust me.
 

Sharkfan

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 25, 2004
254
0
Southeast USA
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I guess the people at my testing center lucked out. None of my friends have run into that problem either. :D

Obviously this is something people might want to take into consideration when requesting testing centers...
 

JohnHolmes

Large Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 30, 2003
3,207
3
39
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by superdevil
ok, ok, here's a really stupid question about the bathroom thing: are you just allowed to get up and go during the middle of a section? i have paranoid nightmares about having to go and an AAMC proctor-nazi telling me that i'll void my test if i take one more step toward the door!

If you leave the room for any reason, even if God himself directs you too, before your breaks, you are "done" with that section of the test. You cannot come back and start again.

Furthermore, your test document is "voided" (I believe) and will not be graded.

CCW
 

Mistress S

Don't mess with the S
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 16, 2000
996
5
Thunderdome
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Yeah, I'm really confused about this. When I took the MCAT in Aug, I had to pee really bad during PS (I went when I arrived early, but I was drinking a lot of juice and by the time all the checking in was done I had to go again). I asked one of the test proctors (who didn't speak english all that well) if I could leave the room before the test started, and she told me to wait until the break; so all through PS I had to go, it was almost unbearable by the end and then I had to sit there while they flipped through each booklet to make sure no pages had been ripped out! It was horrible, PS was my weakest section to begin with and I ended up getting only a 7, so I have to re-take this April (I got a 10 in BS, 12 in VR). After the test, I spoke to a bunch of people who said you can leave the room during the test to go to the bathroom, but because of what the proctor said I was afraid if I did they wouldn't let me back in or they'd void that section. So what's the real deal? Obivously, I won't be drinking juice while I'm waiting to check in this April, but I'd like to know for future reference.
 

Mr. Rosewater

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2003
796
0
erf
Status (Visible)
my tip is this: put some food that is bite size and doesn't require unwrapping in a small ziplock. keep said ziplock in the pockets of your loose, comfy pants. snack liberally. i was munching mini snickers throughout the entire test day.
 

G_Eagle

MS4 -> R1
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2004
345
1
39
Texas
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Originally posted by oldtimer
I'm taking Step 1 in two years. Any other gems of wisdom I should know before then? :D
Step I testing is pretty strict. My brother took it and said that they have videos monitoring you (along with the rest of the testing facility). When he took off his college ring and started twirling it around, the proctor advised him to put it back on or nullify his score. You also cannot remove any sweatshirts, coats, etc. once the test has begun. So yeah...that one runs more rigidly. It is on the computer, though...good/bad...different...
 

jesswise

Sucker for a pretty girl
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2003
209
0
New Brunswick, Canada
Status (Visible)
  1. Other Health Professions Student
1) Wear very comy clothing. If this mean pj's, do it. The only report the school gets from the MCAT is your score. If you'll be more comfy in a bikini, do it. It's your score, forget about appearances.

2) Don't drink fluids in advance, or in excess. Do have something to drink, but just wet your whistle as you go, don't try to re-hydrate after your marathon during the MCAT. Plan ahead so you don't show up dehydrated or over-hydrated.

3) Sugar is your friend (for the MCAT, at least). For this day, DO bring sugar-rich snacks that you can quickly consume. The last thing you need is a blood-sugar crash during the MCAT (or USMLE).

4) This may seem obvious, but just to re-iterate, be as comfy as possible, and focus on the test. First guess is best, etc, like all the guides say, and pamper your own needs as you would your lover's or your child's, for this testing day... it will pay dividends.

And I offer this advice as a testee with darn good results, on ACT, SAT, GRE, and MCAT. So it has worked for me.

Good luck, too! May your verbal passages be familiar and interesting..

Jess
 
About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

  1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.