DO My postbac plan. Please help me perfect it.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bobthesun

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Could I get some advice on my postbac plan?

currently: 3.2cGPA, 2.8sGPA, finance major and bio minor from good school. EC's are great: ncaa athletics, solid leadership, 100+ volunteering, 100+shadowing, 100+ ER volunteering, publications (multiple). CA resident is really the only thing working against me but I went to college OOS.

Trend is Fr: 3.6, So: 3.2, Jr: 2.8, Sr: 3.1. (no good reason but I got distracted with all the excitement of college-after grad I started working in healthcare banking, made me realize my real passion lied in the sciences and working with patients to overcome diseases)

I've moved back home and planning on retaking 3 classes. 2 at a local CC and 1 at a farther (1 hr drive) Univerisity (biochem wasn't offered) at the CC. Also gonna work on getting a 28+ on the MCAT.

My plan is to take (old)MCAT in march or april and apply june 1st. Assuming A's in my repeats then I should have a 3.37 cGPA and 3.3 sGPA. What are my chances for DO? Any advice is appreciated.

I want to waste as little time as possible so I really want to apply in the most upcoming cycle.

Members don't see this ad.

You're exactly where I am. I'm in my my second semester of my DIY post-bacc (including Summer).

If you pull your GPAs up to a 3.37 and 3.3 as you expect to, then I think you'd be in a good spot to land an acceptance.
I'm also interested in reading what others here have to say (especially Goro).

Well, with the big assumption that you'll make all "A"s and get a 28+ on the MCAT, I think your chances are quite good. You're very well rounded. Of course, you should certainly shoot for 30+ since your GPA will be on the low side of average. IMO, a 32+ MCAT will help a lot since averages keep creeping up. You already stand out for having good experiences, but I think a great MCAT would clinch the deal at many places.

I say this from personal experience -- I think that schools are much more willing to budge on the GPA falling a fair bit out of their range than MCAT. For example, MSUCOM is currently around 28/3.6. I had a 3.15 but was still accepted with a high MCAT. My ECs were fairly similar to yours.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm assuming you're trying to finish all that in 3 months since you want your stats to be updated by the time you apply on June 1st. I think it'll be nearly impossible to get all A's in 3 science courses and study for a 28+ MCAT all in 3 months. I would take an extra year and slow down and spread it all out to ensure that you A) do well in your classes and the MCAT and B) don't burn out.

I'm assuming you're trying to finish all that in 3 months since you want your stats to be updated by the time you apply on June 1st. I think it'll be nearly impossible to get all A's in 3 science courses and study for a 28+ MCAT all in 3 months. I would take an extra year and slow down and spread it all out to ensure that you A) do well in your classes and the MCAT and B) don't burn out.
thanks for the advice! I was starting to mull that over and my head started to turn when I started thinking about the crazy amount of work 3 upper level sciences classes and mcat would have been.